Hunting and Hearing Loss

I differ with the guys that say that shooting out of a blind is noisy. If the muzzle is out of the blind.....then the noise in the blind is quite tolerable. A single gun shot out of a blind is a non-event to me. Just, stick the barrel out the window. ;)

I used to shoot lots of trap, many 1000's of high-power rounds at prairie dogs, and lots of rifle range back to the army days. No hearing protection until the latter years = bad hearing results. Funny.....but even the Army said hearing loss was a temporary thing. You'd think somebody knew better. When we went to the rifle range we would look for cigarette filters to stuff in our ears. Duh!

I also have hearing loss due to stupidity when young. I used to shoot a ton of trap with no plugs - learned after a while. Also construction site noise for years - some events by others and no warning to put ear plugs in. Anyone here ever hear a Hilti-shot stud shoot into a steel beam ??? :eek::eek::eek:

For hunting amplification and shot protection - what would you guys with device experience recommend ??? I've never used anything up until now. Should start, I guess.

Anyone here ever hear a Hilti-shot stud shoot into a steel beam ??? :eek::eek::eek:
;) I know exactly where you are coming from BnB. Using the Hilti guns to stamp part numbers into steel I-beams and plates is darn near as bad as shooting in the pins, especially when you have 3 or 4 guys in the shop doing it at the same time in the dead of winter with all the doors closed!:eek:

I spent my early years shooting without protection - bad idea. I'm 60 and can tell I have some loss, but nothing serious yet. I won't shoot anymore without protection. I carry muffs when I carry a gun. I can get them on and off quickly, and for me personally it beats messing with plugs - which are not very fast to get in properly. I keep multiple sets of muffs around so they are easy to find when I need them.

I have not found the "low profile" electronic muffs to be any type of deterent in shooting. They don't interfere in any way with my cheek-weld to the stock. I've owned Peltor low-profile since the day I saw them at the Super Shoot back in the 90's. Then, I bought a few other brands that had the same characteristics. All worked just fine. You can find them for under $50 these days. Go to Midway.com and check the reviews. I wear 'em when operating my tractor most of the time....and for use with chain saws and at the range. I cannot afford any more loss in my hearing. I think I have about 3 or 4 sets now. They last forever if you don't drive over them. ;)

Cheap insurance for what they provide. No excuses to not wear them these days....IMO. Hearing aid will cost you 20x as much.....and are a PITA.

I love my $40 molded plugs. Wish i had them 20 years ago....

I've learned to NEVER duck hunt in a blind next to someone who has a fancy gun with porting to reduce recoil and directs the blast sideways.....right at you. My left ear rang for 2 days. Put that on top of a guy shooting about a foot from my same ear jump shooting from a duck skiff. Another 2 day ringer. Far worse than any rock concert from my earlier days.

I'll have to check out the low profile Peltors as I take plugs with me but really like to hear what's going on around until the shot of course.

I always wear protection when target shooting. I've had ringing bad from about any gun over a .22. But when I'm hunting, don't wear any protection and don't seem to have any issues with ringing or any other type of pain or side effect.

I've pondered that before. I wonder if adrenaline provides some measure of mitigation?

I'm speaking of just one shot deer hunting though. No constant bird blasting. That still hurt last time I did it.

Do the Peltors amplify sound or just block loud sounds ?? I need some amplification too - I guess like what a Walker's Game ear does.

Do the Peltors amplify sound or just block loud sounds ?? I need some amplification too - I guess like what a Walker's Game ear does.

The electronic muffs amplify the sounds very nicely. You can hear better with them than without. Anything over about 80 db (gunfire) will not transmit to your ear.....so loud noise is blocked but not normal sounds. My guess would be that you can hear soft noise 2x as much with them....as without.

Jim,
Unfortuneatly its pinned and welded, so I cant change the muzzle break on it. Its vented backwards. Absolutely god awful loud.

I've owned two guns with muzzle brakes. One Browning rifle in 300 Winchester, and a T/C Contender in 223 and in 7mm Waters. Both of those guns hurt me while hunting.....almost knocked me down from the muzzle blast. The T/C left me unable to talk on the phone for two weeks nor hear the TV.....and I thought I had lost nearly all my hearing as a result of firing that gun without hearing protection. Fortunately, I got some of my hearing back.

I sold the T/C Contender so that my family never shoots that pig. I took the brake off the Browning rifle....but never use it now. I will never buy another gun with a muzzle brake or have one installed on one of my guns. I can deal with the recoil or muzzle flip....but not the hearing loss.

I don't know Foggy, I sell a buttload of these things to guys just like you. :D

I don't know Foggy, I sell a buttload of these things to guys just like you. :D

Sorry Jim. Don't mean to offend. I'm sure the STD's are well made and effective for use in competition, etc. I just don't have such a need.....and I feel compelled to state my hearing situations to make others aware. Obviously there is a need for flash suppressors and/or brakes, or the government would not have them on so many rifles. I understand that the "next big thing" is to allow legislation on silencers. THAT would be a BIG DEAL to me and a boom to your business I expect (?).

I suppose "never" is a strong word. I don't have a need for a muzzle brake on 30 caliber or smaller guns. On a "safari" caliber gun I may re-think that statement. But the recoil is quite manageable with a properly made rifle and any 30 caliber round....IMO. Those are the biggest guns I need.

You didn't offend me at all. :) STD's aren't for competition, they're for hunting. The full auto stuff was videoed because I happened to be at a range with a buddy and his full auto lower, so we threw my upper on it and had some fun.

I was tired of ringing my bell shooting a regular brake without ear protection (I hunt without it). ;) They don't do a thing for recoil reduction, they reduce sound pressure and concussion at the shooter, and lower the flash signature below the sight line of the scope. As far as muzzle control, they're virtually identical to a target crown. Thompson contender guys love them, as do AR pistol hunters (7-10" barrels in .223 and 300BLK). The carbine class guys are starting to notice them, as are LEO's, but that wasn't my intent when making the first ones - I wanted something less punishing while hunting, and I wanted it as light and compact as possible.

Sound suppressors are legal in MN, and have been since Aug 1st. I don't sell the majority of my stuff in MN, I sell it in TX and CA. One of them says flash suppressing is illegal, and the other says every baby should come out of the womb with a sound suppressor in their hand. :D Sound suppressors are wonderful, but they're still an NFA item and a good one is rather costly. What I offer is an affordable alternative to the abuse of a traditional A2 flash hider in the same size package.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like we have many common experiences as young men that perhaps have led to hearing loss...too many AC/DC concerts and too many rounds at the range without protection. I'm thinking about trying something Walker's Game ear.

.I like to hear the deer so no plugs for me.

I couldn't agree more. Hearing is much a part of my hunting. That's why I'd like to try to preserve what hearing I have left. I don't want anything that will block my hearing. Don't want anything that will enhance it either (not yet anyway). Going to do some more research about products that reduce decibel levels at the report.

I wear hearing protection at the range, cutting firewood, and mowing the lawns. I don't while hunting. I may get a shot every 2 or 3 years. If I was shooting multiple deer a year I might think about it.

My exact experience. Maybe for the 3 or 4 times a year I shoot without pro (grouse, a rabbit, a turkey....rarely a deer) I'm over-thinking it.

Natty, good thread.

My hearing is still ok and I'd like to keep it that way. My brother on the other hand refuses to accept he's deaf :D so I'm going to buy him some muffs to prove it and get myself a pair in the process.

Based on this thread I've been doing some research on muffs and if anyone can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated.
I looked at Midway USA and cabelas. Reviews are mixed at Cabelas.

Here's what I've come down to for under $100

Game ear......ok but made in China

Howard Leight low profile...........so so reviews by some but made in the USA (that's a plus for me) non adjustable head band.

Cabelas SRT 9X.......they claim 4 microphones so you can tell which direction the noise is coming from and wind noise is eliminated.

I can't figure out who cabelas poached their muffs from. They seem to be the best option for the $$ but based on Foggy's cabelas experience I can't bring myself to buy any cabelas private label stuff.

Anyone using muffs now?
What brand?
Is wind noise an issue?
Are they adjustable?
Is the direction the amplified noise is coming from an issue?

I couldn't agree more. Hearing is much a part of my hunting. That's why I'd like to try to preserve what hearing I have left. I don't want anything that will block my hearing. Don't want anything that will enhance it either (not yet anyway). Going to do some more research about products that reduce decibel levels at the report.

Same with me. That's why I use regular muffs, which I can get on and off fast. I look at them like cheap reading glasses. I buy a bunch of them and have them laying around everywhere instead of having a $500 pair of glasses which I'm going to lose or break. Lots of times I have the muffs on my head but not over my ears. It's easy to reach up and pull them down quickly.

Silencers are now legal. $900