All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting and Hearing Loss

http://www.milehighshooting.com/more-guns-gear/on-sale/

These guys are having a liquidation sale on the type of can I got. I payed $950.00 for mine before the sale and now it's only $667.00. Great suppressors for the money. If I was looking for another I'd be buying one of these.

Natty, good thread.

My hearing is still ok and I'd like to keep it that way. My brother on the other hand refuses to accept he's deaf :D so I'm going to buy him some muffs to prove it and get myself a pair in the process.

Based on this thread I've been doing some research on muffs and if anyone can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated.
I looked at Midway USA and cabelas. Reviews are mixed at Cabelas.

Here's what I've come down to for under $100

Game ear......ok but made in China

Howard Leight low profile...........so so reviews by some but made in the USA (that's a plus for me) non adjustable head band.

Cabelas SRT 9X.......they claim 4 microphones so you can tell which direction the noise is coming from and wind noise is eliminated.

I can't figure out who cabelas poached their muffs from. They seem to be the best option for the $$ but based on Foggy's cabelas experience I can't bring myself to buy any cabelas private label stuff.

Anyone using muffs now?
What brand?
Is wind noise an issue?
Are they adjustable?
Is the direction the amplified noise is coming from an issue?

Decided to do a little current research and read some of the reviews on the recent production. Seems that my "old" pelters are not so well done any longer....and now made in china. Too bad too.....as I really liked the originals at one time.

I also have the Howard Leight low-pro's......and those are quite affordable and get some great reviews. Also has directional amplifications qualities.....and I think this feature works quite well. Hard to beat the deal on the Howard Leight muffs. I predict you would be happy with them.

Wind is seldom an issue....but I have had occasions when I needed to turn down the volume to eliminate wind noise. Tho typically the foam prevents wind feedback.

Seems to me the head band is not adjustable but the muff adjusts where it meets the head-band. No problems with that.

Thanks Foggy,

The made in the USA had me leaning towards the Howard's.

Just a heads up if anyone interested in amplifying muffs?

Cabelas has the Howard Leight low profiles on sale and they're giving $20 off $100.
I ordered 2 sets to my door for about $105.

Just a heads up if anyone interested in amplifying muffs?

Cabelas has the Howard Leight low profiles on sale and they're giving $20 off $100.
I ordered 2 sets to my door for about $105.

Thanks Bill. Going to check that out.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like we have many common experiences as young men that perhaps have led to hearing loss...too many AC/DC concerts and too many rounds at the range without protection. I'm thinking about trying something Walker's Game ear.
I've lost most of my hearing in my right ear Natty. I do have walkers game ear and like it but do have trouble keeping it in. I think the muffs would be a better option.

I've lost most of my hearing in my right ear Natty. I do have walkers game ear and like it but do have trouble keeping it in. I think the muffs would be a better option.

Thanks for that input Maya. Do they work decently to reduce the report of your firearm?

yes