BuckeyeCam Issue Resolved

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
For John and others using the older BuckeyeCam Orions, I thought I'd post this issue and resolution. A while back, I started sending a few of my cameras back to BEC for checkout and repair. In most cases it was small stuff like replacing the lexan that had been scratched and stuff. One of the issues that I had was with the battery connections. It seemed that after 6 years or so, things were getting touchy. If I wiggled the battery connector a little, I'd lose power. I thought maybe connecting and disconnecting them had caused stress on the board over time and the connection was not solid between the male connector and the board.

During one of my conversations with the tech, he mentioned that they had experienced issues with the female connectors on the battery leads wearing out. I doubted this was the case, but I bought a couple extra sets of leads to try. When I got the cameras back, everything was working fine, so I put them on the shelf and forgot about them.

Several weeks ago, I was experiences some issues with one particular camera. It had been working just fine but over time, the battery wore down and needed swapped out. Every since, it seems that I can't get the camera to work. It seems to work ok when it is open but minor wiggling of the connector caused power loss again. On one of the male connectors, I can't get power at all. One the one that works, each time I close the camera, it puts enough stress on the leads to wiggle the connector slightly and it loses power. So, I figured I'd put a big solar panel on it so that if I do get it to work, I won't have to open it for a long time.

So, this morning I installed the solar panel. I'll have to take a picture of that later. No matter how I tried, I could not get the connection to work. I finally took the camera back to camp to work on it. I happened to see the new leads so I decided to give them a try. I used the same battery (fully charged). I removed the old leads and soldered on new leads. BEC was right. Everything now works on both sets of male pins and wiggling the connector does not cause a power loss. The leads I got from BEC were a little pricy, so I decided to make my own for the rest of the batteries. The digikey part number for the kit is WM8383-ND the kit contains the parts for 5 leads. You need to supply your own wire and solder them yourself. It runs about $10. So, if you don't mind soldering them yourself, you can save some money.

I marked them with a date. My plan is to replace the leads each time I need to swap a battery. It will take quite a while to get them all replaced.

So, if you are experiencing power related issues wit your BEC Orions, it is likely it is the battery leads, not the camera if you have been doing like me and buying SLAs locally and simply reusing the leads.

Thanks,

Jack

Good info.
I've had the Lexan replacement issues on the X80's but with 24/7 exposure for years that doesn't surprise me.

I have noticed a decline in flash brightness at night. Some of the LED arrays have fired over 20k times.

I've got 6 new arrays to test replacing them. LED's don't really stop working like a bulb will. The just grow dimmer with use. Hoping this fixes the problem. I'll post back when I actually switch the next one out

Also log files say my batteries are at 100%.
But I haven't done a good job of logging which batteries were replaced when. Think I'm going to replace them all this year then keep better records.

Thanks for the post Jack. My cameras aren't up and running right now. I need to do that!

Bill - have you ever considered a slave flash (I have considered it and need to do the same). The homebrew guys make them and they fire when the camera fires.

-John

Bill - have you ever considered a slave flash (I have considered it and need to do the same). The homebrew guys make them and they fire when the camera fires.

Not sure how I would hook them up. The cameras don't have a port for one. Since their out of warranty I guess I could try to add a jumper.

My understanding is that they are stand alone. They have a photo eye that senses the flash from the camera and fires itself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My understanding is that they are stand alone. They have a photo eye that senses the flash from the camera and fires itself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Didn't know they existed like that.

Bill, I need you to come check out my place and tell me if I could get a system to work with the lay of my land.

Bill, I need you to come check out my place and tell me if I could get a system to work with the lay of my land.

You going to be there next week?
I have an extra PC base, could bring a laptop and a camera to see what kind of reception we could get.
The only thing I don't have is an extra high gain base antenna and a tower. which can make a big difference. But if a base system would work things only get better from there.

Heading to the farm in the morning. Have to leave on the 4th some time to get back home to work on the 5th.

Heading to the farm in the morning. Have to leave on the 4th some time to get back home to work on the 5th.

Darn, we're going to just miss each other. I'll be getting there on the 4th unless I feel like pulling an 18 hour drive on the 3rd. I play that by ear on the day I'm driving. I'll try and give you a heads up when headed out again. This season has been busy at home and I kinda go last minute when I can.

I'll be back around the 22nd for brassicas. Labor Day weekend for rye/oats, doves, etc.

Let me know if a slave flash works for you and which one you try. It doesn't take much with most trail cams, but they would need to be pretty tight two work with the BEC cams. Most trail cameras are slow by comparison. They slowly ramp up LEDs, take the pic and ramp them down. A slave flash has lots of time to detect and be on when the picture is taken.

The fast BEC with black flash are harder to synchronize with. Visibility of the flash is a function not only of wavelength, but intensity and duration as well. So, as part of making the flash undetectable by deer, the flash is short duration and well synchronized with the shutter. Keep in mind that with my orion, the camera actually takes 2 pictures. The first is a low resolution picture which is used to adjust camera parameters and discarded followed by the user picture at the set resolution. This occurs in a couple tenths of a second.

Once could certainly build a slave that works with BEC but it probably wouldn't be inexpensive. I'm getting forgetful, but I think years ago when I was discussing the need for a slave flash with BEC black flash folks, they said there is actually an trigger port on the Orion board. I'm not sure if the X80 has one on the board or not.

Thanks,

Jack

Also log files say my batteries are at 100%.
But I haven't done a good job of logging which batteries were replaced when. Think I'm going to replace them all this year then keep better records.

Bill,

I did a short tutorial on this on the other site, but you need to be careful how you interpret battery levels. I have a spreadsheet that reads the logs and extracts battery levels and plots them. Battery level is an approximation based on voltage level, but there is no accommodation for solar panel or load so you need to know the conditions when the level was measured to compare apples and apples.

First, ignore any battery levels taken during the daytime. The voltage level used to measure the battery level is a combination of the solar panel and battery. If you have fully sun on the panel you can have a battery level reading much higher than the actual battery level. My spreadsheet ignores daytime levels. If you only look at night time levels, you get a fairly good idea if you track them over time. Each time a picture is transmitted the battery level is reported. This is a reasonably accurate number for terminal cameras, but it may not be for routing cameras. If the camera has a load (transmitting a picture for example) the level will be lower (but more accurate) than if there is no load. A routing camera may or may not have the load of another camera transmitting a picture through it when it completes the transmission of its own picture and reports the level.

By the way, here is what I use for actually testing my batteries when I swap them out: http://www.autometer.com/rc-300-tec...by-battery-tester-for-6v-12-applications.html
Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
I did a short tutorial on this on the other site,

Sorry Jack I have to replace "the other site" with, QDMA forums.

My early mistake that I've grown beyond :) and I don't really care if someone gets upset by their mention. We're adults and we know where we came from.

Sorry Jack I have to replace "the other site" with, QDMA forums.

My early mistake that I've grown beyond :) and I don't really care if someone gets upset by their mention. We're adults and we know where we came from.

Funny how things come full circle. Very few organizations represent only things I agree with. Most do some things I like and others I don't. While their recent decisions were enough to cause me to pull my active support, they don't change the fact they have done some very laudable work and will likely continue to do so. I've got no reason to promote them or bash them.

Glad to hear the "words which can not be spoken" are once again permissible. Kind of reminds me of an old Rumpole line "she who must be obeyed"... :)

Thanks,

Jack