All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting and Hearing Loss

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Hey guys...just thought I'd ask for your experiences and/or advice concerning hearing protection while firearm hunting. My hearing is starting to go slightly in my left ear (runs in my family) and I am thinking more now about hearing protection while firearm hunting....grouse, snowshoes, deer, turkey.

Do any of you use anything like Walker's Game Ear for hearing protection at the shot? I do not need any kind of hearing enhancement. Looking more for something that reduces the decibels at the shot.

I'd enjoy hearing your advice, experiences, suggestions.

Ok now that was funny.

I never had but know some people that do and they say it takes little getting used to but they continue to use them so I'm guessing they work. I was thinking I should start also.

I have tinitus. Been wearing hearing aids for a number of years now. Constant ringing in your ears can be quite annoying.....and my hearing loss is especially annoying in large crowds or gatherings. I'm on my 4th set of HA now.....and swear by the ones sold by Costco.

But for hearing protection AND amplification in the field.......I would consider a set of the low-profile electronic muffs. I think I have owned about 5 or 6 pairs over the years. I see 'em as low as $60 or so.....and they work quite well. I have worn them at rifle ranges and can carry on conversations while guns are being fired down the line. Nice. A few in my family are wearing muffs like this while hunting. I don't. I guess I am a slow learner. Have owned Walker.....and don't like 'em (I think they are high priced for what they do).

The best brand of over the head muffs is Peltor.....IMO.

My wife is going to start using ear foam plugs on a cord so they are within easy reach. When she sees a deer to shoot you they are around her neck ready to go. Thought that was a pretty good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had about a 40-45% hearing loss in my right ear since I was a young child. Ear surgery to repair a hole in the eardrum at the age of 7. Chronic infection of the bones of the middle ear and if you are ever trying to hold a quiet conversation with me, you will be on my left side, as that ear is unaffected. My dad has the same thing in both his ears(pretty sure it is hereditary) and uses actual hearing aids full time now. I tried one of the in-ear cheapo one's from Walmart that is made by Game Ear, similar to the Ultra Ear ITC. It worked, sort of, but I was not impressed, I suppose you get what you pay for and you don't get much for $20 any more. The amplified sound was "grainy" and the wind blowing was interesting as well, it did cut the sound off when I fired my shotgun though, so it worked in principle.

I don't when I'm hunting but I do when I plan on shooting several times. I think those that would shut-down after a certain noise level would be great.....if they work. I don't have any experience with them personally.

I shot 16,000 rounds of trap as a teen so i lost 20% of mine. Shooting inside a shadowhunter will get your attention. I like to hear the deer so no plugs for me.

NoFo - I essentially shot the 30-30 in the house once:eek:! Yep - that's a bad idea. Not one of my brighter moments (I have a thing against cats). Turns out the muzzle being out the window or close isn't enough. Made myself stone cold deaf for about 5 minutes. I was starting to panic when the ringing and whine started so it was "getting better". Things finally returned to normal after a day or so. Now I go outside to shoot cats.:oops:

I don't like muffs with rifle because they interfere with my cheekweld.

If we'd "progress" like Europe and consider suppressors the polite and desireable accessory they are, instead of some murderer's tool with heavy regulation - a can would be added to every long gun I own.

There's a bill being introduced to do just that. Barry signing it isn't likely, but we have enough NRA gun culture that it might survive a veto if we put the pressure on before the 2016 elections.

The walmart active ear offerings are junk. Save your money. I might have to check out the Costco offering.

My hearing is F'd. My own fault.

I now have those molded ear plugs and they work great for most guns. Downside is they are plugs and makes conversation and hearing things extremely tough.
But I need it big time.

I have an AR 15 that I cannot shoot unless I have ear plugs and ear muffs. It is the worst gun I have ever shot for noise. It is so sharp it hurts my ears to shoot it if I am not extremely cautious. Hate that gun. Anyone in the market for an AR? :)

My hearing is F'd. My own fault.

I now have those molded ear plugs and they work great for most guns. Downside is they are plugs and makes conversation and hearing things extremely tough.
But I need it big time.

I have an AR 15 that I cannot shoot unless I have ear plugs and ear muffs. It is the worst gun I have ever shot for noise. It is so sharp it hurts my ears to shoot it if I am not extremely cautious. Hate that gun. Anyone in the market for an AR? :)

What muzzle device is on it?

Jim,
Unfortuneatly its pinned and welded, so I cant change the muzzle break on it. Its vented backwards. Absolutely god awful loud.

Pinned and welded can still be removed. :D

For a steep price from what I have been told.... unless you know someone who can do it... :D

Pfftt it's not an issue if you have more than a drill press.

Well how do I remove it and put something else on there?

PS - no drill press, and I am not good at science experiments.

Gun is for sale as is. LOLLLL

Send it to Jim!

What about a replacement muzzle break?

The gun shops I talked to will not do it as its against ATF rules or some crap.

You'll need one long enough to keep the barrel legal. My STD's aren't long enough, but I have no objection to installing something else to help you out.

Changing the device isn't illegal at all. You just can't mate it to a non-NFA registered (SBR) lower until it's got another pinned and welded device on it. The law states the device can't be removed without causing damage with regular tools. Milling the old pin out and then welding a new one in isn't something you can do while the ATF is pulling in your driveway for an unregistered SBR. That's the intent of the law. But then, the NFA should be unconstitutional anyway, and it's stupid, so some people think it's the boogie man. Which is fodder for another thread...

My hearing protection will be coming in about 3-4 months. I finally broke down and ordered a suppressor for hunting down here in az. Looking forward to getting it in and trying it out.