Huntress Dominates Her First Deer (A Youth Day Hunt at Forest and Farm Management L.L.C.)

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Giggles and whispers from the back bedroom simply could not be contained regardless of admonishment as unbridled excitement reigned. Seth and Rachel, ages 10 and 12 respectively, could not seem to fall asleep the night before their first deer hunt. I found it hard to caution them to go to sleep because sunrise was early when I myself could hardly contain my own excitement.
0520 came early, but I was awake before the alarm went off. Sleep depravation was not going to stop these kids from jumping out of bed at the first call. It was going to be a hot day, so we figured morning was our best bet. Since this was their first outing, I did not want them climbing into a treestand in the dark, so we chose ground blinds instead.
I decided to take Rachel to the ground blind I put up the previous week in a small field called Pleasant Valley Overlook. My good buddy John, whose kids are now pretty much off to college, offered to take Seth. We had strategized the previous night. Since I had consistent trail camera pictures of deer during shooting hours for the last several weeks in a field we call Boomerang, they made a last minute decision to go to a ground blind that had not been checked since last spring. When they got there, they could not find the blind, so they doubled back to make their stand in another blind overlooking a Field we call G8.
Meanwhile, Rachel and I boarded the ATV and made our way out toward our blind. We stopped about 150 yards away and slowly inched our way along the trail. We needed no flashlight as the full moon lit our way. When we got to the blind, I laid a piece of blaze orange cloth across it for safety and we got in and took our seats. Rachel positioned her chair and aligned her H&R single shot 20 gauge with a bi-pod.

602a4c32-d233-4745-951b-6963885bb462.jpg

View of Pleasant Valley Overlook from blind.

After about 15 minutes or so, the first rays of sunlight reflected off the morning sky. Rachel commented on how cool the pink clouds looked. We canvassed the small field through the shoot-through netting in the blind but saw nothing. I decided to teach her what a deer grunt sounded like. I performed a soft series of grunts on the small tube hanging around my neck. After another 5 minutes or so went by, we both heard a soft grunt from behind and to the right of the blind. The deer was close, but completely occluded by some massive oak blow-downs from this winter. I waited a minute and made a few more soft grunts. We then waited patiently for the deer to circle to find us. I told Rachel it could be 20 to 30 minutes or more before the deer showed itself. Well, I was wrong. Only 10 minutes had gone by when excitement that could hardly be contained by whispers said “Jack…there’s a deer…right out in front of us!” Sure enough, a tall young 8-point was working his way along the field edge on the far side of the field. This small field is only 50 yards across which matches perfectly the range work Rachel had been doing with the rifled bore slug gun several weekends before.
I tried to get a camera on the buck, but it really took second priority. I instead focused on making sure she had any support she needed to connect. “Are you on him?” I asked. “Yes, but he is moving now…” she whispered as the buck began walking with a little more intent. I looked at the end of her barrel. It was very close to the bottom of the shoot-through netting. I wasn’t worried about damage to the blind; I just didn’t want it to throw her shot off. I had her adjust the gun just slightly to avoid the problem. As she was making the adjustment, I bleated at the buck. He stopped an looked our way. “Are you on him?” I whispered. “Almost” she said but the deer started walking again. “Get on him and aim for the shoulder” I suggested. The deer was quartering toward us ever so slightly. Bhaaaaaa… I bleated with a nasal tone and the buck stopped once again. “I’m on him, can I shoot” she whispered. “Shoot..Shoot…as soon as you’re ready” I said, hardly able to whisper. BOOM!
The three legged archery chair Rachel was sitting on was on slightly uneven ground. The kick of the gun was all it took to send her tumbling backward. I caught her chair. She looked at me with a huge grin but an expression of surprise as she grabbed her ears. I had not taken into consideration that every time she has previously shot the gun, it was at the range with lots of hearing protection. The blind helped capture the sound of the firearm making it even louder than usual.
As I was catching her, I was also trying to watch the shot impact and the buck’s reaction. I didn’t do either well. I could tell the buck spun and I saw the general direction he headed into the young pine thicket. Rachel couldn’t wipe that priceless ear-to-ear grin off her face no matter how hard she tried. I commended her on a job well done. Although I thought she hit the buck, I was not at all sure. She had done all the right stuff to get a shot and that was plenty to call the day a success right there! Without much information about the shot, we just sat and listened for about 5 to 10 minutes. Finally, I could not wait any longer. I just had to go check the impact site.
We quietly left the blind and she loaded another shell, just in case. We went over to where I thought the impact site was but could find no blood or hair. I was beginning to think she missed. We moved through the field at a snails pace going inch by inch but found nothing. My heart sank, but I was still happy she got this far.

Continued...

Last edited:
54a21ec4-e5c6-4512-920f-1160f9cd9273.jpg

Rachel leaving blind after the shot.

Next, I entered the pine thicket about where I thought the buck had entered. Again, we found no blood. I decided to circle through the pine thicket back to the field to make sure I crossed the path the deer left on. Sure enough, there it was; good blood! We knew for sure she had hit the deer.

2d15a373-3197-486e-8128-b4e859fc5bec.jpg

First sign of blood.

I had forgotten my pack with my trailing supplies, so I dropped my orange hat at the site of first blood. The trail only went for about 5 yards before disappearing. I dropped my handkerchief there. We doubled back along that path to the field. The only thing we could find was the scuffed dirt from which the buck had bounded. Still we found no blood or hair at the impact site. With little information about shot placement, we pulled out and headed back to camp for some toilet paper. We took our good old time, giving the buck an hour to expire before returning.

d70f9abc-7b70-4f3a-a7b7-9c47ee066161.jpg

Rachel ready to return for trailing supplies.

When we got back, it was down on all fours before we finally picked up a few small specs of blood. It went like that for another 8 yards before we got good blood once again. We followed that on-again off-again trail for about 50 yards. I was fully focused on each drop of blood when all of a sudden tones so excited came from Rachel that I could barely make out the word “deer”, but I knew exactly what she meant. I turned my head in the direction of her pointing finger and saw the dead bruiser about 5 yards behind me. With deer in hand, it was time to analyze shot placement. It was as perfect as possible. The slug entered through the front left shoulder, went through both lungs, and exited through the rib cage just behind the right shoulder. The marginal blood trail was a result of the fact the shot came from ground level. Without the low exit wound typical from a treestand shot, most of the bleeding was internal.
We took a couple pictures at the spot of harvest before I used every ounce of strength I had to drag that monster back to the field. It was only 50 yards or so, but up hill, through a pine thicket, was exhausting. We took a few more pictures there before loading the buck on my ATV and heading back to camp to show him off.

a3ec7494-f434-4403-8f3e-d44792be0884.jpg

Rachel at harvest site with her first deer on her first deer hunt.

b711baf8-610b-4e29-b204-0205ef2d2a4d.jpg

Rachel on the edge of the field where she harvested her first deer.

Continued...

Last edited:
The 8-point buck weighed 148 pounds live weight and 116 dressed weight had a 13 ½ inch outside spread with a 30 mm beam width. It has nice long tines but we have not measured it yet. Rachel was a real trooper. She and her brother both actively participated in field dressing the buck as well as taking measurements for the Deer Management and Assistance Program (DMAP).

3d4585c1-130b-44dc-be4f-67ac6671191a.jpg

Rachel with her brother Seth at the hoist.

While Seth did not see a deer during either the morning or evening hunt, he took it in stride as a seasoned hunter does. There are a lot more days spent in the stand just enjoying doves or whatever nature offers than days of harvest. We could not have had a more enjoyable hunt in God’s creation and we shared an experience that will live in my memory for many years and I hope in theirs as well.

4268df24-6a43-450f-a2d6-598264cedb54.jpg

The End...

Last edited:
Rachael's younger brother wrote his own story about that day. Here it is:

45691675-6d6e-4f2c-9daa-22d63369f480.jpg

39a88c28-dd76-44f5-8be9-cf7efb22a644.jpg

It is a little hard to read handwriting at that age, so here is my transcription:

Shot Beauty

By: Seth W. Ellsmore
I feel comfortable sitting in the tent watching the shiney green grass sway. Talking then watching. I hear a noise. I pull my gun up. I stalk the field like a lion stalks it’s prey. When the noise stopped, my eyes narrowed, but it was nothing, just a squirrel. Ten minutes later I hear a gun shot from across the field. I knew my sister shot something. Two hours go by and the other hunter asks me if I want to go and stop hunting and I say yes. We get in his car and drive to the main building of where we were hunting. When we got there we saw my sister standing next to here deer. It though it was the most beautiful thing in the world like a water fall next to a sunset. It’s eyes sparkling, antlers standing tall, and it’s fur the color of beach tan. I know one day I will shoot a deer as magnificent as hers, one day.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
I can completely relate to taking the young ones hunting. Jake and I have had similar experiences as well.

I think my favorite part is how happy her brother is that she got a deer. Obviously well raised kids.

Thanks for sharing.

-John

They are not my kids, but I'd like to think I had some influence. The girl, Rachael, has not hunted in the last couple teen years and is headed to college this fall with the dream of becoming a vet. Her younger brother will be a sophomore in high school this fall and still hunts on rare occasion but is now focused on football and wrestling. Who knows whether these city kids will ever become hunters, but I think I've planted a seed. At a minimum, they will understand and have an appreciation of hunting that most of the general public in our urban areas does not.

Thanks,

jack

Jack,

I don't know if you had posted these on QDMA but I had never seen them. I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing!

No, these are hunting stories I've written over the years. Some of them were posted on the Quantico Rod and Gun Club web site forum before the club was closed due to unexploded ordinance. When the old servers were decommissioned, I transitioned to .NET framework. The old YAF forum was not compatible, so until the club is reconstituted (if it ever is), those forum won't be reestablished. Most of them I just had in Word format on my local computer. I pretty much wrote them for the kids. Some I just wrote cause it had to come out of me. I figured it would be worth posting them here and some folk would enjoy them.

Thanks for the kind words,

Jack

Thanks for sharing!

Just awesome! Thanks!

Updated Picture Links