How to transgress without making a mess

Thank you.

A mountain bike is easy- can do and planned on it as a matter if fact.

I can basically give them the western 2/3rds of the rectangle and use plots to bring them out it the 1/3 I can access, hunt, etc. that is my current plan of attack actually. I would LOVE to be able to hunt the rabbit ears off the NW but that’s not in the cards wo trashing my ground or sanctuary feel. This (east only) use should draw a lot of deer from the west which appears to be some amazing bedding cover. Thinking if I follow the east line (north and south) and then west on the north line when there is a reason to be there I should be okay. Open woods to the d wind side and even if I shagged them from the bedding along the north line, they’re headed inward. The southern (1/2 or the rectangle) portion isn’t showing much for deer presence thus far but it sure looks like it should.

Bermed is plausible but not really likely.

A36” buried culvert is crazy! Man the deer world never ceases to amaZe me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some wild ideas in this thing!

@Troubles Trees had me googling for motorized two way zip lines.

@roymunson so a guy just crawls a long ways in a 36” culvert or does he have some rail system in there? That’s next level.

I’m starting to believe if you do a lot of habitat work and ride atv or Utv around a lot during year, then that’s way you should go to your stand. They react to something different, not a loud noise.

I’m starting to believe if you do a lot of habitat work and ride atv or Utv around a lot during year, then that’s way you should go to your stand. They react to something different, not a loud noise.
Exactly. I own a piece of property that borders a busy US Highway. Biggest deer I have killed in my life was sixty yards from the guardrail. 18 wheelers screaming by, motorcycles winding out, state trooper sirens - deer dont even look up. When those deer are born, the first thing they hear in their life is an 18 wheeler.

I actually feel sorry for folks who spend half their life savings on a piece of land and then decide they have to stay off it ten months out of the year to keep from running the deer off. I live on my land. I wouldnt give it a second thought to go squirrel hunting with my dog and come back two hours later and hunt the biggest buck I have in the same scope of woods.

Exactly. I own a piece of property that borders a busy US Highway. Biggest deer I have killed in my life was sixty yards from the guardrail. 18 wheelers screaming by, motorcycles winding out, state trooper sirens - deer dont even look up. When those deer are born, the first thing they hear in their life is an 18 wheeler.

I actually feel sorry for folks who spend half their life savings on a piece of land and then decide they have to stay off it ten months out of the year to keep from running the deer off. I live on my land. I wouldnt give it a second thought to go squirrel hunting with my dog and come back two hours later and hunt the biggest buck I have in the same scope of woods.
I was at farm all day doing work and walking with the state wildlife biologist. When I got home and looked at my cameras there were deer everywhere around me, in same fields. They would be there 5 minutes after I left.

Also, if you’re a bud scent person, then ridding your Utv all the way to stand is by far best way. Way less time spreading scent, not sweating and breathing heavy spreading scent, and gas and exhaust covers scent.

If you hunt somewhere you never go to, then “maybe” that’s not the way. But if you live and work at your land ride what you always ride to your stand.

I believe there's tolerable human presence and intolerable human presence. And a lot of it depends on what the deer are conditioned to. If your property is big woods with no ag anywhere, I can see them boogering from quads.

Our deer have tractors, side by sides, and other motorized traffic on them and it doesn't bug them. But if we walked those same areas, or had a chainsaw ripping mid day, then hunted that area, I think we'd see a dramatic drop off in deer movement, specifically MATURE deer movement.

We also have a section of the farm that's the sanctuary. We do not go in there except to shed hunt, create habitat, mushroom hunt, or retrieve an animal. Retrieving an animal being the ONLY time during season we go in. So I think if we drove our quads thru there in October, the deer would know we don't belong there and it'd affect things. But around the edges we drive like decent human beings and get where we're going, and get out.

We have a couple year round feeders that deer shied away from when we first put them up. But our mature deer have not been around these feeders their entire lives and see it as part of the landscape. It doesn't freak them out the way the feeder freaked deer out 6-8 years ago.

We've seen it work. But as with anything, I'm sure there are more than a few ways to get a big buck killed.

It’s definitely contextual. I have a 40 I’m my adjacent to a busy road and rail road. Can make all sorts of noise without concern. Make a metal on metal noise a few hundred yards away and you’ll clear a bedding area.

I agree that if you’re there and they’re used to it. I’m not and they’re not. Atypical occurrence leads to an atypical reaction imo.

User results may vary for a litany of other reasons too. That being said… I’m asking about ohio and basing it off ny. That’s my miss already.

Ride a bike. Clear road to make bike riding easier. I used to do a lot of road biking around sunrise/sunset. I would have a speaker blaring DMX. All but could have reached out slapped a deer on the ass. They just don’t think of you as dangerous.

My hypothesis is deer have 3 dangers zones for human. Smelling - Obvious. Hearing - metal clanking, the sound of HUMAN foot steps, and talking especially (bumped a lot of deer off river banks in kyack listening to podcasts. The next is the human form standing or walking. That is what I think is so scary to them. We are considerably tall/bigger than the deer.

So a bike will solve all these. Less smell. Don’t sound like a human - much quieter than an atv- neighbors aren’t going to know where you are hunting).