How long before I should worry?

Scott S

5 year old buck +
I seeded winter rye and clover on Saturday 9/1. I cut the dense vegetation down with a brush saw about a month ago, removed all of the cuttings, sprayed a few weeks later, and then seeded heavily(soil has had no amendments yet), and then dropped loose hay over the top of it to retain moisture. All of the forecasts said rain on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I haven't had a drop yet. How long can I go without rain after seeding before I should expect problems?

Any and all help is appreciated as always.

My TNM went 30 days without rain before it came up.
The rye, WW, and turnips came up well. Mice got the few peas in the mix though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My TNM went 30 days without rain before it came up.
The rye, WW, and turnips came up well. Mice got the few peas in the mix though.

Thank you. That makes me feel a little better.

During Septembers in Wisconsin I've had covered rye germinate with heavy dew and no rain. Where are you located?

Central NH. Zone 5B. Thanks Bueller.

I do have a very small amount of the clover germinating, but I didn't see a single sprig of winter rye. I have no experience, but everything I've read has made me expect the winter rye to start first.

I acknowledge that I'm likely just being paranoid. It's funny how all the confidence I had built up from reading disappeared the moment seed started flying.

Last edited:
I'm with the others. A long time if nothing is eating the seed.

Great news. Thank you, Bill.

^^^ This, and the comment above about dew on the ground germinating seeds. You’ll likely be ok.

How much hay do you have covering them? Hay is different than straw and it still needs airflow

How much hay do you have covering them? Hay is different than straw and it still needs airflow

Not very much at all. I bought 1 bale and spread it loosly over about a 1/4 of an acre.

Not very much at all. I bought 1 bale and spread it loosly over about a 1/4 of an acre.

That should not be too much.

That should not be too much.

Ok. Thank you. I knew I should've asked if putting hay down was a good idea before doing it. I just wanted something to be down on top of the bare seed and dirt. I couldn't plant into the standing vegetation and then mow that down on top of it. It was way too thick, and had lots of logging slash tangled up in it.

Well, I got some rain today. All of my paranoia was for nothing. Thank you all for chiming in with your knowledge/experience.

If the seed has contact with the soil, it will pull moisture from the soil and germinate. I have had WR germinate in my pick-up bed. The hay may be inhibiting dew from getting to the seed.

If the seed has contact with the soil, it will pull moisture from the soil and germinate. I have had WR germinate in my pick-up bed. The hay may be inhibiting dew from getting to the seed.
Thanks Tree Spud. We got a good rain yesterday, so hopefully I didn't screw things up too bad with the hay. Lesson learned.

Thanks Tree Spud. We got a good rain yesterday, so hopefully I didn't screw things up too bad with the hay. Lesson learned.

WR is hard to screw up. I never really do anything to prep before spreading. As weeds & grass are dying the WR will be germinating and stand up well to multiple frosts. It will germinate in temps as low as 32 F and green up as soon as snow is gone as sees the sun. Remember WR is best for deer when it is young & short shoots.

I am broadcast spreading 800 lbs into whatever is standing in 8 acres of food plots this weekend.

WR is hard to screw up. I never really do anything to prep before spreading. As weeds & grass are dying the WR will be germinating and stand up well to multiple frosts. It will germinate in temps as low as 32 F and green up as soon as snow is gone as sees the sun. Remember WR is best for deer when it is young & short shoots.

I am broadcast spreading 800 lbs into whatever is standing in 8 acres of food plots this weekend.
Ok. I appreciate the info. I just didn't want to leave seeds sitting on bare dirt with nothing on top. Buying a 5 dollar bail of hay seemed like my only way to get something on top of the seed. Hopefully next year it won't be an issue, as I should have something growing I can cut down. I can't wait until I know what I'm doing a little more. Thanks again.

I took a round bale of hay and spread it on top of my WR a couple of years ago because the dirt was really poor. It came up great and grew like crazy. I think you will be fine spreading the hay.

I took a round bale of hay and spread it on top of my WR a couple of years ago because the dirt was really poor. It came up great and grew like crazy. I think you will be fine spreading the hay.
Awesome. Thank you ToddG.

Awesome. Thank you ToddG.

One square bale over a 1/4 acre would hardly be enough to help or hinder. Good luck but a couple things to keep in mind: diversity is your friend. Planting several different types of seeds, mix of plant types, allows for the possibility of failure of one or two types of seeds while still having enough growing to negate the failure. And two: when mixing different types of planting strategy do solid research so you can best apply the different aspects together to meet your specific application.