How does habitat-talk make money? Is there an organization or person that is fronting the hosting fees?

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
I'm asking because I feel like I've gotten a ton from this board and have felt like a free loader. Is there somewhere I can donate to the cause?

I don’t think this site is in the business to make any money. I know that advertising has never been a thing unless it is just word of mouth giving an individuals personal opinion on how a product or vender has worked out for them. And spamming in any way is not tolerated.
Heavy political or religious topics and trolling are normally not an issue either.
From what I have seen in the few years I have been here is that this is just a place where people that own or manage some type of property share ideas, knowledge, projects and experiences with other like minded individuals. It is a great format to learn and share in a mostly non confrontational format for others on the same habitat journey even though they may be further along or just starting out.
Someone pays to keep the lights on, and the mods do an excellent job of keeping the place cleaned up....and for that I give a huge thank you to them!
This site has been extremely helpful to me learning as I go and I truly appreciate all the members that participate and share.

I’m sure someone here can answer your question better than my humble opinion of the site.

John from Big Rock trees started this site after a fall out with the old QDMA site, not sure about who pays the bills since I believe John sold the business a year or two ago. I've been here since the begining and it's been a good site.

I've been a part of several forums in the past. Archery talk got too big and there are some hardcore agendas on there. The only thing I really have to weed thru here is gypsum talk.

I've learned a heck of a lot more on here than I have other places.

@John-W-WI Pays the bills. I’ve been running the day to day with help for years because John’s a busy guy.
No money is made from or on the site. It’s been that way from the beginning.

We actually started about a year before QDMA shut down. As long time posters and actually, both life members, we were kinda tired of the drama at the old site and went our own way. In 8 days, we’re 6 years old and holding our own.

QDMA forums failed because their advertisers didn’t like that we the members shared info that cost them $$ by teaching people things for free. So far we’ve remained ad free and no one gets to “control” the message like QDMA wanted to do.

In return we just ask everyone keep things as respectful as possible, no one wants to be a babysitter.

By make money, I was just trying to figure out how Habitat-talk is keeping the lights on. If there is ever an instance where @John-W-WI needs some help financially to keep the site alive, I am definitely down for throwing in on it. I sincerely appreciate the community and content!

Thanks!

If it makes you feel better you can send me as much as you can afford without going into debt too bad. Seriously though---This is the best site i have been on. Good people with common interests that are always willing to help. Thanks to all the guys working behind the scenes.