How does a person find a loading dock to use?

Another option which would work really good it to get a tow company that has a tilt bed wrecker. You could drive it from the semi onto the tilt bed and then they could tilt and you drive it off. You could also have them deliver it right to your drive way.

Another option which would work really good it to get a tow company that has a tilt bed wrecker. You could drive it from the semi onto the tilt bed and then they could tilt and you drive it off. You could also have them deliver it right to your drive way.
Exactly. You're going to have to move it anyways just unload right onto the tilt bed. Are you sure the truck that's delivering isn't already a tilt bed or vehicle hauler with a low boy trailer?

Exactly. You're going to have to move it anyways just unload right onto the tilt bed. Are you sure the truck that's delivering isn't already a tilt bed or vehicle hauler with a low boy trailer?

It is probably going to be on a step bed. But I won't know till it leaves for here. Like I said, its complicated.

We had had the trucking companies unload and store large heavy items for work. I was working in Brainerd MN and we used a TCBX location to unload and hold on to a piece of equipment for a little bit. We have also used local crane/heavy equipment companies to do the same. That TCBX did that for numerous companies. I'm sure there is a trucking hub somewhere.

What kind of tractor is it. Just drive it right off. If its a good tractor it will survive, if not probably shouldn't have bought that one.

It doesn't show u in the Manuel? ;)

Yeah sure there are. Is that a common practice to go up and knock on the door and ask? I have no idea. I'm a warehouse virgin.
It's not that common throughout the industry but you could use my dock for free if you were in PA. Off load tractor into the dock, pull trailer out, back trailer for the tractor in and drop dock plate down to that level, drive tractor onto trailer and it's done.

I just got the word I may be getting my tractor soon. Time to start working on this.

I bet your just a father waiting for his first born.

I think a tilt bed wrecker is going to be your best bet.

I've used a trucking company in my neighborhood as a terminal to accept a pallet before. I offered to pay them and they refused. Just called up and said I lived close by and needed a dock to ship to - they were very nice to me.

I just got the word I may be getting my tractor soon. Time to start working on this.
Find anything yet?

Find anything yet?

Not yet. But I also misinterpertated "soon" as I was told. "Soon" means April, May or June. Not two weeks like I thought. :)

I have some time yet but I am still going to look into it. Maybe this weekend.

I saw there were a couple "warehouse" type buildings with docks in the Antigo area that were for sale. Maybe you could get the info from the realtor and contact the owners and offer them $50 to let you use the loading dock at a vacant warehouse, they aren't making any money off of them as they sit right now. Who knows, it wouldn't hurt to inquire.

I saw there were a couple "warehouse" type buildings with docks in the Antigo area that were for sale. Maybe you could get the info from the realtor and contact the owners and offer them $50 to let you use the loading dock at a vacant warehouse, they aren't making any money off of them as they sit right now. Who knows, it wouldn't hurt to inquire.

Thanks. But I also found out it will need to be delivered down here by me. Its getting delivered on a work semi with a partial load. So I am at the mercy of that.

My brother in law runs a trucking company in Milwaukee, as it gets closer let me know I am sure he would have no problem with unloading there.

My brother in law runs a trucking company in Milwaukee, as it gets closer let me know I am sure he would have no problem with unloading there.

I'm going to send you a PM

Given the lack of complete mis-understanding of this shipment, I keep thinking as an owner of a company with multiple LD's ... liability, liability ... I would never loan out a dock for this.

My fist question is, how was the freight assigned for shipment? when does title transfer and who is responsible for unloading? What is the insurance for shipment and delivered to what point?

This looks like a FUBAR situation waiting to happen ... I would go back to the supplier and demand shipment be delivered with off loading by supplier/shipper ... title transfer to take place one on ground and acceptance by purchaser after inspection of goods.

If there is damage in shipment, and purchaser off loads himself, you will have no damage claim capability because you take possession when truck arrives. Remember that off loading machinery has huge liability insurance requirement. There are truckers who would love to see a injury lawsuit occur.

Or listen to the knowledge stream here ... :eek:

Given the lack of complete mis-understanding of this shipment, I keep thinking as an owner of a company with multiple LD's ... liability, liability ... I would never loan out a dock for this.

My fist question is, how was the freight assigned for shipment? when does title transfer and who is responsible for unloading? What is the insurance for shipment and delivered to what point?

This looks like a FUBAR situation waiting to happen ... I would go back to the supplier and demand shipment be delivered with off loading by supplier/shipper ... title transfer to take place one on ground and acceptance by purchaser after inspection of goods.

If there is damage in shipment, and purchaser off loads himself, you will have no damage claim capability because you take possession when truck arrives. Remember that off loading machinery has huge liability insurance requirement. There are truckers who would love to see a injury lawsuit occur.

Or listen to the knowledge stream here ... :eek:

Normally these concerns have merit. Not so much in this situation. This is not a private party sale. Actually it's hardly a sale. And shipping is not contracted either.

Normally these concerns have merit. Actually it's hardly a sale. And shipping is not contracted either.

Normally people know when their load is supposed to show up in days, not 3 month windows. :p

Might want to contract it? Or maybe take a weekend and go fetch it yourself? I did 430 miles for a little over $2/loaded mile with a U-Haul and a skidsteer trailer. If your tractor is lighter than mine, you might be able to do better yet.