All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you lime plots that are done by hand?

Short of an atv or tractor spreader, it's a dirty job and work. When I can get pelletized cheap I've done that but any other time I just get the bags and shake it out evenly the best I can. If you do it by hand I think it's easier to get even coverage with the pellets. Menard's typically has pellets on clearance in late Feb.

I have seen small walk behind drop spreaders for lawn/garden use that would work with the bags of powdered lime. however with very low ground clearance....pushing it over an uneven plot would be more work than i would want to do.

I have seen small walk behind drop spreaders for lawn/garden use that would work with the bags of powdered lime. however with very low ground clearance....pushing it over an uneven plot would be more work than i would want to do.

Tried that, it sucked.

I think I only want to work with Pellet lime for this. Sure it costs more but I want to make a PITA job as easy as possbile.

I think I only want to work with Pellet lime for this. Sure it costs more but I want to make a PITA job as easy as possbile.
for small plots pell lime is the way to go. I get it for $3-4/40lb bag locally so its not too bad and its far easier to work with.

Tried that, it sucked.
kinda what i was thinking....but if you got the plot smoothed out over time using hand tools and you went with a no till program of mowing and spraying eventually it wouldn't too bad....not much different than if it was your lawn.