All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you lime plots that are done by hand?

B

BJE80

So a new remote plot I will be putting in this year will be foot traffic only. I plan on doing everything by hand with a backsprayer and hand seeder. What about lime? Do you use the seeder to spread pellet lime? What have you guys done in the past?

I've had good luck with the Encap quick lime on new plots. Might be worth it if you have to carry everything in as it calls for less pound per square foot.

Pellet lime through a Solo spreader....either that or grab bags of ag lime and go for a walk and shake on a calm day. The Solo method leaves you much cleaner and a back that doesn't hurt as bad IME;)

If you use the ag lime and walk and shake make sure you wear a face mask or you will be breathing it in your nose. Did it once never again.

If you use the ag lime and walk and shake make sure you wear a face mask or you will be breathing it in your nose. Did it once never again.

I presume even with a face mask that really sucks? Pellet lime in a hand spreader seems like a better way to do it but would cost a little more.

I presume even with a face mask that really sucks? Pellet lime in a hand spreader seems like a better way to do it but would cost a little more.

I was spreading it with a pull behind spreader which broke half way thru a 3 acre plot and wanted to get it done so I did the rest by hand. After that I went to using pelletized lime which is much easier to run thru any spreader.

TT, a 60%/40%(or 50%/50%, if your still apprehensive about it) mix of ag lime to pell lime will flow through a pull behind spreader without many issues.

Pell lime through a Solo is definitely a better way to go IMHO. How big is your plot and how much lime do you need to apply?

We will find out the spring when I start working on it and take a soil test. If I had to guess it will be 0.15-0.2 of an acre and the soil test will call for 3500-4000lbs per acre. So 500-700 lbs of lime. I won't have to carry it far and we are only talking 10 bags or so.

TT, a 60%/40%(or 50%/50%, if your still apprehensive about it) mix of ag lime to pell lime will flow through a pull behind spreader without many issues.

Thanks for the info wisc.

I just use a regular push spreader like you'd use at home for your lawn, that way you get an entire bag at a time spread instead of stopping to fill the Solo all the time, and it keeps you away from the dust etc. This is way quicker and easier than using the Solo...I've done both.

I just use a regular push spreader like you'd use at home for your lawn, that way you get an entire bag at a time spread instead of stopping to fill the Solo all the time, and it keeps you away from the dust etc. This is way quicker and easier than using the Solo...I've done both.

You must have nice smooth ground. That would not work on my lumpy area.

On the flipside of that thought, you should try pushing one of those through thoroughly disced and worked up Juneau Co beach sand, not happening!

Or try pushing over Langlade County rocks.

I use it in the same place you are mentioning...woods, accessible by feet only. I'm in Waushara county, sandy soil. It's not smooth, but I'm not discing or anything either....obviously the spreader has to have pneumatic wheels. There is no way I would have the patience to spread 10 bags of lime through a Solo, unless you're a masochist....I'd go with the open bag fling and swing method...which I've also used.

You must have nice smooth ground. That would not work on my lumpy area.
If you get one with inflatable tires it works fine. I have a Scott's $70 model, when it is full I pull it and it spreads good. After it is half gone you can push it over any ground. I have probably put 30 bags of lime and a few bags of fert through it and it is holding up fine. If. You want to spend $200 I just bought a heavy duty one from trackor supply for spreading rock salt. I am going to use it for lime next year, it should be able to hold two bags of lime and spread it farther

Can you at least get a four wheeler in to the plot? If so, tow a small trailer full of ag lime to the plot and spread it with the shovel and throw method. Ag lime stored outside at the co-op is not dusty at all. I've done a couple tons this way and it's really not difficult and goes fairly quick.

Can you at least get a four wheeler in to the plot? If so, tow a small trailer full of ag lime to the plot and spread it with the shovel and throw method. Ag lime stored outside at the co-op is not dusty at all. I've done a couple tons this way and it's really not difficult and goes fairly quick.

I tried geting all the way there with the UTV and got stuck last year. And then all it does is tear up the trails bad.

i also use a lawn push/pull spreader for pell lime, fert and larger seeds like rye and oats. I use it on very lumpy, rocky, and uneven ground. Its a bit of a bear when the hopper is full, but as it gets lighter its not a problem. my plot is 1/3 of an acre and is not flat. Its a cheapo scott's model with plastic wheels, larger pneumatic tires would be a breeze in comparison. I take it if its a that remote you wont be tilling/discing? After a few years of no tilling and broadcasting into killed sod it wont be buck different than doing your lawn. It may also be worth it to smooth out the trouble spots by hand with a shovel and rake, do a couple spots each year and you'll be good to go.

One of the first plots I ever limed was in March w/ snow still on the ground. I used pelletized lime ( 800 lbs. ) and whipped it around w/ a plastic butter tub !! No dust worries w/ pelletized. Smaller plot, but the snow showed where I still needed to spread lime. It took about 1/2 hr. It was a test to see if I could turn some sour ground around to grow clover. The snow took the lime right into the ground as it melted. It worked. Clover sprouted and grew in the spring ( not thick ) - but it grew. Phil's right ^^^^^^ - no-tilling works too. He's got pix on one of these threads showing his excellent no-till plots. You should do fine with no equipment if you have none yet.

You may get better prices on pelletized / bagged lime this winter in the " off " season too. NH has a great idea! ^^^^^

I'd take it in there this winter on a plastic pull sled and store it on site under a tarp.
Exactly what I do. If you wait until spring melt is underway, but walk in early morning when the snow is still frozen, it slides well. You can walk on top of the drifts.