How are your evergreens doing ??

I can see them.

My trees from last spring and this spring are doing surprisingly well with the shortage of rains the second half of the summer. But its been quite nice temperature wise this year. No blast furnace several days in a row of unbearable weather.
Could use a nice slow douser going into fall for a lot of reasons. Or hell, dump on us in a 20 minute rain. Any drops welcome.

I cannot see any of SDs pics either.

Did you use tapatalk SD?

I did a copy paste out of my archive thread. I'll try again here...

These were the whites and norways we planted in spring of '14
1.jpg

This is one of them at the end of september. Didn't seem like they did anything. But again, by the time they got some roots out, they got swallowed up by the ferns for the remainder of summer.
2.JPG

After getting badly winterburned, this is how I found most of them in April '15.
3.JPG

This isn't the same tree, but about three weeks later, any that still had signs of green left on them starting fighting back. The guys here talked me outta hanging myself after I saw how bad they were initially.
4.JPG

(2nd post)
This spring, we went with 370 black spruce because we couldn't get norways or whites. We put most of them in our low ground and made an attempt at hinging to up the sun factor.
5.JPG

They took right off. If you look closely, you can distinguish the new growth by the lighter green color at all the tips. This was taken 8-10 weeks after we planted them. To top it all off, I had planted about 25 black spruce the year before, and none of those showed any winter burn. Just the whites and norways.
6.JPG

Working now! That bottom pic looks great!

I was blown away at how much it spread out since it was growing in a square inch column in those flats.

SD - That spruce looks great for just one year !!! 4 or 5 years you ought to have a dandy tree going.

Good Lord willing, we'll have a few hundred like that. Next challenge will be to keep an eye on them so they don't start getting spindly in the sketchy sunlight areas. Gonna have to respond quickly with some 2 cycle oil and sharp teeth.

Looking real good SD!

I haven't done anything to or checked on any of my black spruce since the end of July. It'll be interesting to see if their initial push of growth kept going through the summer.

Last edited:
You guys missed it. This was the year I was offering a free workshop to certify anyone that wanted to learn how to plant plugs. Brother Marv almost got the tier II certification, but we stopped 30 short of finishing the 2nd flat.

Is that a " book " class, or is there some sort of LABOR involved ??? Wouldn't have to get hands dirty ?? :eek: :D

It's a very "lab" heavy course.

Sent from my mobile land management office.

You know what I like to do that I think helps some??

I plant my spruce along some of the main travel corridors and try to hide their trails to make them feel more comfortable. A person can usually find quite a bit of deer poop along these trails. I like to take a bunch of there pooh and throw it in the hole before I set the plugs in. Seems to really help in that first year.

black spruce where it is wet, Black Hills spruce where it is extremely dry, whites and Norway in between. White cedar will likely be browsed to death without protection.

Buck S. - I kind of do the same thing as far as trying to make the deer feel more comfortable with meandering spruce plantings along areas deer like to travel. Like in a shallow swale leading up to a food plot from a lower area. Or along a bench running around the contours of a ridge. Even in an otherwise open woods with no particular topo feature - I just plant a random, meandering line of spruce from a likely bedding area to a food plot or a funnel where deer like to cross an opening. Like Bur has said before - once the leaves drop, those spruce ( or hemlocks, balsam, pines ) will become the shadowy security deer want to traverse from one place to another. I've seen it many times.

SD,

Do you recommend the black spruce for moist areas? I've got a 5 or so acre area that I'd like to plant some evergreen type trees in. There's never any standing water but, it's always moist. Kind of semi open now with some alders too. I'd like to make some clumps and darken it up in there over time. Should I go with black spruce? I was also thinking of white cedar and hemlock as well.
Whip nailed it. I don't know anything about cedars though. We're gonna have to take that one on faith.

Sent from my mobile land management office.

If you can get young cedars and hemlock to grow, you either live in Minnesota or next to the Res.

I planted in old clear cuts this spring. The new growth is so high I can't tell how the Norway, white and black hill spruce are doing.. I probably won't know until next spring if the other vegetation choked them out or deer ate them. Had an awesome year for rain so lack of moisture won't be an issue.