How are your evergreens doing ??

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
For any of us that have planted evergreens this past spring - or last spring, 2014 - how are they coming along ?? How's your survival and/or growth ?? Pix or descriptions welcome.

I haven't checked on most of mine for quite awhile. Come firearm season, I'll get out and wander around to see how they look.
How about after firearms season so you aren't bumping the few deer you have to the neighbors?;)

No idea about trees in the woods, but I have been checking some on the field screens I have planted. When looking at 2014 trees in April 2015 I thought I had a >50% kill. Almost no snow cover ended with a lot of dead needles. Spring rains and continued rain this summer had a lot of them come back. Some norway spruce planted in 2014 grew 3-4 inches in 2014, lost all needles grown in 2014 by spring, but have a another 3-4 inches of green growth in 2015. Hopefully roots are built up to really take off the next two years. I should really buy some cleth or something to spray over the screens so they have less competition.

2015 trees look good and have a few inches of growth. Had a decent amount of rain, and a lot more August rain than there has been the last 4-5 years. I will take some pictures this weekend if I remember.

All trees were plugs purchased from Itasca Greenhouse of varying size. Norway spruce, white spruce, black spruce, and balsam fir.

Most the of trees I planted look good.

Ours look good

I did see some of mine in July when I went in to kill the last of my black locust. I won't really know till spring when I spray them or replant.

My white spruce that I planted this spring in SE MN seemed to do really well. It seemed like it rained here about every 3rd day all summer so this was a good summer for young trees. I also noticed some unbelievable growth in northern WI this year as well. On my 8 year old spruce trees 24" growth this year was fairly common. The spruce were slow to get established, but they can put on some impressive growth after the 5 year mark.

I did see some of mine in July when I went in to kill the last of my black locust. I won't really know till spring when I spray them or replant.
On the edge of my spruce/pine visual screen in Rusk County WI there is a bunch of wild black locust growing in the road ditch. I would trim them back occasionally if it started reaching towards my pines, but in the short term I was OK with any type of tree that could deflect a poacher's bullet or spotlight and also act as a windbreak for my row of pines and spruce planted along the road. Some of the locust trees were pushing 20' tall and maybe 5" in diameter. Last winter must have been a tough one because it just wiped out the entire row of black locust. There were a few random aspens and oaks mixed in that survived without any problems, but the locust trees were hit hard.

We planted black spruce from Itasca this spring in a low spot. They have grown quite a bit this year, I was impressed. I can post pics later.

We planted white and Norway last year. They got winter burn pretty bad. Most survived but just barely. No real update there. By about June 15th the ferns swallow them up. I'm going back up after leaf drop to check on those and the dogwoods.

Ben.MN/WI - If the locust were along a road - salt damage ??

The 2nd year Norway and white spruce that I planted in a 2 acre cut had a lot of new growth on them in June / July. I put some small circles of 2x4" welded wire around some to keep the deer from nipping them and tied surveyor's tape flagging on them for ease of location. Ferns grew up around them too, so I gave the ferns a shot of gly to keep them back from the spruce. The spruce look best once the ferns frost-kill and lay down. Then they really stand out.

Some of our older Norways along the switchback leading in to camp put on between 1 ft. and 3 ft. of new growth. Varying ages there. They're on the sunny inside of a row of 10" dia. white pines. Road - pines - then double row of Norway spruce that are staggered. Mow-able grass between the spruce rows.

I know that some of the Norway Spruce I planted died. But the last time I checked the ones in the damp, semi shady places they looked very good.

I took and planted 50 Norways in our hay field and they look good, this pic is from 8/4. No prep work just stuck them in this spring.

The 9000 red pines and 500 spruce that I put in from the WI Nursery look like they are coming along nicely. I would venture to guess I have about a 90% survival rate or better.

These were the whites and norways we planted in spring of '14
index.php

This is one of them at the end of september. Didn't seem like they did anything. But again, by the time they got some roots out, they got swallowed up by the ferns for the remainder of summer.
index.php

After getting badly winterburned, this is how I found most of them in April '15.
index.php

This isn't the same tree, but about three weeks later, any that still had signs of green left on them starting fighting back. The guys here talked me outta hanging myself after I saw how bad they were initially.
index.php

This spring, we went with 370 black spruce because we couldn't get norways or whites. We put most of them in our low ground and made an attempt at hinging to up the sun factor.
index.php

They took right off. If you look closely, you can distinguish the new growth by the lighter green color at all the tips. This was taken 8-10 weeks after we planted them. To top it all off, I had planted about 25 black spruce the year before, and none of those showed any winter burn. Just the whites and norways.
index.php

Very good year for new trees as others have noted. Planted the last open area along my fence with the neighbor with some smaller white spruce from the local conservation club. Normally I'd spend a little more and get some bigger 2-1 bareroots for an area that has been a pasture for years but a friend was doing some for his land and just thought what the heck, any is better than none. The better ones put on 4-5" and most did at least 2-3". Was only 50 trees so after planting went back a few weeks later and with a stovepipe sprayed around with roundup. Sure you still get broadleaf weeds later but taking some grass out helps. I will repeat the second year and then they are on their own.
DSC01853 (Small).JPG

Ben.MN/WI - If the locust were along a road - salt damage ??

The 2nd year Norway and white spruce that I planted in a 2 acre cut had a lot of new growth on them in June / July. I put some small circles of 2x4" welded wire around some to keep the deer from nipping them and tied surveyor's tape flagging on them for ease of location. Ferns grew up around them too, so I gave the ferns a shot of gly to keep them back from the spruce. The spruce look best once the ferns frost-kill and lay down. Then they really stand out.

Some of our older Norways along the switchback leading in to camp put on between 1 ft. and 3 ft. of new growth. Varying ages there. They're on the sunny inside of a row of 10" dia. white pines. Road - pines - then double row of Norway spruce that are staggered. Mow-able grass between the spruce rows.

Salt damage is possible, but I think cold weather injuries are more likely because I notices some of the locust trees have a little new growth coming up from the ground. I also had more winter injury on my apple trees on that property last year than the prior 7 years, so I think last winter was tough on trees for some reason. But salt could be a contributing factor.

Am I the only one not seeing SD's pix ?? I can't get them to come up.

Nope, I got nothin'! ^^^

I can't see them either.