Honey Crisp drop time

James P. Bipps

5 year old buck +
I have a Honey Crisp apple tree that produced its first apples this year? I picked two on October 1st and they were delicious. The other 3 are hanging strong on October 10th. When do they typically drop from the tree? I am trying to wait and see but may be too tempted.

I started picking mine in mid September. I picked a bunch each week since and still have many hanging but I think recent winds may have caused many to fall. I think picking those now if they are really red would be a good idea. Those apples will last in cold storage for 4 to 6 months. I will pick the rest of mine this coming week

Anyone else's HC still on the tree?

Because all of my trees were hit hard by late frosts this spring leaving the apples badly damaged, I have left them on tree for wildlife. Most of the Honeycrisps are still hanging and if previous years are any indicator, they should slowly fall through November with a few lasting until mid or late December.

Honey crisps are for people not deer. Go pick them lol

DSCN2449.JPG They drop slowly from 3rd week in September through November here.

Nice looking apples George

I picked the last Honey Crisp tonight. At least I know they will hang at least until November. They just tasted too good to let hang any longer.

Last edited:
I picked the last Honey Crisp tonight. At least I know the will hang at least until November. They just tasted too good to let hang any longer.
Good idea I have some still hanging and will pick this week I hope

Anyone else's HC still on the tree?

My honeycrisp tree was the first one to drop. I think they were all dropped by Oct 1. I have an Enterprise tree that is still loaded right now.

The enterprise are holding nice ready to pick now

The enterprise are holding nice ready to pick now

Yep. I've been picking them for my wife. She likes to cut them and dunk them in carmel. She has been making pies with them too. My Redfree tree started dropping in mid September and the deer hammered them as soon as they hit the ground.

they are good anyway including cider I just saw half gallon of honeycrisp cider in Wegmans for 4 bucks wow I could have made not a fortune lol

I just sold the rest of my HC's (frost damaged) for cider. How much cider have you made this year Aero?

Maya how long before frost damaged apples are no longer good for cider making?

Only about 30 gallons. I made pure HC cider that is amazing. Wegmans sells it for 4 bucks half gallon. Sending this from bow stand what a great morning to be alive

Not sure Ma VT, but flavor diminishes the longer you wait. Regardless of whether they are damaged or not, I try and get everything picked in the first few weeks after maturity.

Not sure Ma VT, but flavor diminishes the longer you wait. Regardless of whether they are damaged or not, I try and get everything picked in the first few weeks after maturity.
Amen to that. All of what I tried to pick today had stem cracking and some insect found its way in the crack and now they are only good for the deer. I will pick all by early to mid October next year at the latest

Yep. I've been picking them for my wife. She likes to cut them and dunk them in carmel. She has been making pies with them too. My Redfree tree started dropping in mid September and the deer hammered them as soon as they hit the ground.
Does anyone have Red free in zone 3?