Granny Smith Apple Drop Time

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I was talking to someone on here earlier in the year about the drop times of my Granny Smith Apples in Virginia zone 7 . I said I would let them know when it starts this year, but I forgot who it was. Just like I thought it might be , it's the first week of June. Mind you the apples falling now are very SMALL maybe the size of my thumb and there is just a few on the ground. However it's enough to start the deer coming up every evening looking for them. The apples will keep on growing and they will drop into Nov easily....possibly a handful hanging into Dec

Last edited:
I am in sw AR and my Granny Smith is holding tight. Apples bigger than a golf ball but not as big as a tennis ball. Another month the coons will come in and get them all in two nights.

I am in sw AR and my Granny Smith is holding tight. Apples bigger than a golf ball but not as big as a tennis ball. Another month the coons will come in and get them all in two nights.
Wow I'd say right now mine are smaller than a golf ball....but by fall will be full sized. Knock on wood mine haven't been raided my coons that I know of , but these trees are probably 17-18 years old and are always loaded with apples. Come August or Sept I'll hang a 1 inch diameter rope frayed at the end from one of the apple trees branches 3-4 foot off the ground and will get a inventory of just about every buck in the area. Google rope mock scrapes for more details

It is always a race to see if bitter spot or coons get my apples. My granny smith has limbs low to the ground and cant do much to keep the coons out. I have an AR Black next to it I am going to try a piece of metal duct around the trunk to keep coons out. Been spraying the trees for bitter spot this year. My trees have been producing for about four or five years and never had an apple make it to maturity.

I will check out the rope mock scrape