Honey Bees

^^^^^^^ looks like promising spots for swarms

fence line and unique tree

Ive had success with similar locations

I have a couple of spots where I have caught swarms the last 3 Years.

bill
I've caught swarms in that tree 2 years in a row plus watched them swarm in.
Its in my front yard.

Here's the video of them from May 15th last year coming in.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
First of the year, feels good to start gaining back after a rough winter.20230429_161700.jpg

Not as good here at the house, two of four hives are toast. One looks like maybe its lost the queen before winter, they didn't make it very far. Sucks to loose them, but there is a lot of resources left to help other hives and spring swarms.View attachment 49508View attachment 49509
i lost two hives this winter and im picking up 3 packages to replace those two and 1 new hive tomorrow, i also have quite a bit of capped honey frames left over from last years bees, what is the best way to utilize it? ive heard mixed opinions on it.

My best answer is...i don't know. I don't know if I spread disease letting them rob out suppers or if the drought and lack of pollen was the reason I lost so many hives. From now on i simply will not take the chance, a frame of resources from a strong colony to help a swarm and that will be it. I will probably extract and ferment the honey from lost hives and use for something else.

i lost two hives this winter and im picking up 3 packages to replace those two and 1 new hive tomorrow, i also have quite a bit of capped honey frames left over from last years bees, what is the best way to utilize it? ive heard mixed opinions on it.
Share it with new colonies would be my first choice

Second choice would be freeze it for use later during a dearth

Third choice would be to leave the frames out to be robbed by all and then save the comb

I would not harvest it if it has been exposed to acaricides( mite treatments)

Just my thoughts

bill

Share it with new colonies would be my first choice

Second choice would be freeze it for use later during a dearth

Third choice would be to leave the frames out to be robbed by all and then save the comb

I would not harvest it if it has been exposed to acaricides( mite treatments)

Just my thoughts

bill
when you say share with new colonies, how many fully or partially capped frames would you put in a brood box ? i was told to just put two , one on each outside frame location , i did freeze it all just to be sure but pulled it out because of space after a couple weeks. We typically dont have a dearth up here that i know of, im in NE wi and we will have nectar flow from may until freeze up. I was leaning towards leaving frames out to be robbed but if it is more advantageous to put them in the hives id rather do that. thanks for the suggestions!

I always leave my dead out frames in a hive or use in swarm traps. I typically get 2-3 swarms a year that just move into the empty boxes in the bee yard. If they don’t attract a swarm then the neighboring colonies rob them out.

The Mrs called me at work today and said she was in her greenhouse when she heard a noise and looked out and saw a big swarm over the garage when I ask her where they were going she said just over the garage. I told her hopefully they’d fly up to the bee yard and take over one of the empty hives, Then I remembered I had an extra swarm trap in the back of my SxS in the lean to. Sure enough 20 minutes later she called back and said the gator was covered in bees. Figures they’d go there instead of a hive now I’ll have to move them.

IMG_1882.jpegIMG_1883.jpeg

Thought I had the same type of thing happening the other day. I had the big shop door open with a stack of hive boxes set in there. All day there was a large number of bees going in and out, figured I had missed the actual swarm come in and was just witnessing the bees orientating after the fact. Come to find out they were just robbing out the boxes which was weird as the boxes have set there for over a year and I didnt think there was enough of anything left in them that the bees would want. I did pick up 2 swarms last year that moved into empty hives. Neither made it through the Winter. Split a big hive this Spring and bought a queen for the queen less one ..... she then proceeded to swarm and take a good portion of the workers with her. The bee thing will drive you bonkers if you let it! I seem to have as many bees at the end of the year as at the beginning, but with the swarming and Winter kill I never seem to end up with any honey.

I took last summer off to avoid getting discouraged, my hives looked great going into winter but lost them both by spring. I kicked the mice out and just left them closed up. This weekend I pickaxed and shoveled off a flat spot and built a new platform out of block, I had no idea how heavy honey is and my wooden legs weren’t cutting it. So I tore apart the boxes, cleaned everything up and need new frames to replace the ones the mice tore up.

Where do you guys buy replacement frames? I looked on EBay but they only had 6” tall ones and I need 9”.
IMG_8002.jpeg

TT, You looking for deep frames? There’s a place about 30 miles from me called Beeman Direct that sells all that stuff. Last time I got any frames though was from one of the big suppliers Mann lake or Dadant I can’t recall which one exactly.

On my end it looks like I picked up my 3rd swarm over the weekend and the one I got a week and half ago has filled a deep and a medium already

On my end it looks like I picked up my 3rd swarm over the weekend and the one I got a week and half ago has filled a deep and a medium already
Good score man! I don't know the right terminology, the lady that gave me the boxes called the taller ones "supers". I just went online and looked at Mann Lake and ordered 30 frames so thank you for that! Like trees there are preferred sources and if I am going down the rabbit hole I wanted to start off with a reputable supplier so thank you FC!

TT, you’re welcome. If you have questions ask. I’m sure one of us can answer them. It’s a maddening hobby that I find extremely rewarding and also very frustrating at the same time.

In your picture the big boxes are deeps and the smaller ones are mediums. Supers are usually the smallest in height. Typical configuration would be 2 deeps with mediums or supers above as needed

I picked up another swarm yesterday in the backyard. The dang things moved into a stack of extra boxes that don’t have more than a half dozen mixed(deep & medium)old frames. going to be a cross comb nightmare getting them out and into a proper box. The worst part is there are 6 empty hives within 15‘ of them. You can see the guards in the crack between the boxesIMG_1948.jpegIMG_1947.jpeg

I took last summer off to avoid getting discouraged, my hives looked great going into winter but lost them both by spring. I kicked the mice out and just left them closed up. This weekend I pickaxed and shoveled off a flat spot and built a new platform out of block, I had no idea how heavy honey is and my wooden legs weren’t cutting it. So I tore apart the boxes, cleaned everything up and need new frames to replace the ones the mice tore up.

Where do you guys buy replacement frames? I looked on EBay but they only had 6” tall ones and I need 9”.
View attachment 53157
Miller bee supply and Blue Sky are a couple more options

View attachment 53157

All of mine are on blocks similar to that. I like to keep them 8"-10" or so off the ground, I try and shelter them some with them being 20-30 yards or so from the woods and facing east.
Is that how you are going to start the new hives with that many boxes stacked, or do you add them as needed?

All of mine are on blocks similar to that. I like to keep them 8"-10" or so off the ground, I try and shelter them some with them being 20-30 yards or so from the woods and facing east.
Is that how you are going to start the new hives with that many boxes stacked, or do you add them as needed?
I'll be honest, I have no idea what I am doing lol I mentioned I wanted to start beekeeping at work and a work friends wife brought over what you see in the pictures. She said she couldn't keep her bee's alive so she gave up and gave me the boxes. I intensively researched online for quite some time, only to realize that everyone does beekeeping differently. Some say you need to do this this way, and others say don't ever do it that way. Some tear apart the boxes often and others just leave them alone 🙁 it is all confusing to me. I know bees stayed alive for millions of years so figured all I need to do is provide a home and they will do the rest. I just wanted bees to pollinate everything I have planted, the first 2 years were a huge success, the first hive split and filled the 2nd box so I harvested honey and wowzer it was awesome, never liked honey before that. Unfortunately ever since I seem to lose the hive every year but no clue as to why.

Sorry for the long answer lol I guess I just keep the boxes stacked and they fill what they fill. Is that not the right thing to do?
TT, you’re welcome. If you have questions ask. I’m sure one of us can answer them. It’s a maddening hobby that I find extremely rewarding and also very frustrating at the same time.

In your picture the big boxes are deeps and the smaller ones are mediums. Supers are usually the smallest in height. Typical configuration would be 2 deeps with mediums or supers above as needed

I picked up another swarm yesterday in the backyard. The dang things moved into a stack of extra boxes that don’t have more than a half dozen mixed(deep & medium)old frames. going to be a cross comb nightmare getting them out and into a proper box. The worst part is there are 6 empty hives within 15‘ of them. You can see the guards in the crack between the boxesView attachment 53197View attachment 53198
Much appreciated man, really helps talking to people that have done this awhile! There is only 1 guy I know of locally and he keeps his knowledge guarded for some reason but I did ask him for help, even offered to pay him for his time to come up, take a look and set me on the right track. He just wanted to sell me more bees lol

Last edited:
I was out in the field today for work and stopped by the house to get lunch and see my grandsons when I walked in the mrs said I was 15 minutes late. I ask for what and she said another swarm moved into the bee yard. Finally they went to an empty hive🙂.

TT, Thats a bummer about your local beek, it does help to have a mentor close by.

This swarm today moved into my typical set up of 3 mediums as a hive. I been trying to switch over to all mediums and only use deeps anymore for swarm traps as they get so dang heavy when full.
IMG_20230601_113649662.jpeg

I'll be honest, I have no idea what I am doing lol I mentioned I wanted to start beekeeping at work and a work friends wife brought over what you see in the pictures. She said she couldn't keep her bee's alive so she gave up and gave me the boxes. I intensively researched online for quite some time, only to realize that everyone does beekeeping differently. Some say you need to do this this way, and others say don't ever do it that way. Some tear apart the boxes often and others just leave them alone 🙁 it is all confusing to me. I know bees stayed alive for millions of years so figured all I need to do is provide a home and they will do the rest. I just wanted bees to pollinate everything I have planted, the first 2 years were a huge success, the first hive split and filled the 2nd box so I harvested honey and wowzer it was awesome, never liked honey before that. Unfortunately ever since I seem to lose the hive every year but no clue as to why.

Sorry for the long answer lol I guess I just keep the boxes stacked and they fill what they fill. Is that not the right thing to do?

Much appreciated man, really helps talking to people that have done this awhile! There is only 1 guy I know of locally and he keeps his knowledge garded for some reason but I did ask him for help, even offered to pay him for his time to come up, take a look and set me on the right track. He just wanted to sell me more bees lol
I'm pretty new to the bee game myself just having started last year but have learned alot from some seasoned people in a bee club I joined. The club teaches and I would recommend you get in the hive thru the good months every 7 to 10 days to see what's going on in there ( weather permitting). Checking for eggs, larva, capped brood, no queen or emergency cells, etc. My hives overwinter ed just fine and came on strong this spring. If your treating for mites, I highly suggest you do. I run screened bottom boards and after a treatment you'd be surprised how many of them I find dead of them nasty things. The club preaches mite treatment almost above anything else. And alot of us are successful. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Much appreciated man, really helps talking to people that have done this awhile! There is only 1 guy I know of locally and he keeps his knowledge garded for some reason but I did ask him for help, even offered to pay him for his time to come up, take a look and set me on the right track. He just wanted to sell me more bees lol
I agree everyone does things a little different, main thing is that you are doing it brother!
I'm pretty new at it too, started my first hive five or six years ago. I add the frame boxes as needed, I start out with what I call a medium with a super on top. Then above that a queen excluder and super's or super deeps as needed. I check my boxes every two weeks through summer.

I have not been able to figure the magic ticket for getting them through winter though..some years I'll baby them by wrapping the boxes and put a wind guard up and supplemental feed them other winters I've done almost nothing with some winters mild others really cold...have lost hives both ways in hard and easy winters? This past winter I did the almost nothing way because I was busy with other things and all six of my hives made it through fine?

Ok so it took a few weeks of searching but I found a guy (kind of local) that is selling me a nuc of bees tonight but he only has 1 nuc. From reading I thnk I need to feed them for awhile until the hive becomes self sustainable. When I first got the boxes they already had bees established and a functioning hive so a few rookie questions:

1) do I just throw in a pollen patty and keep checking to make sure they don't run out?
2) how long do I need to supplement their food?
3) should I cut the boxes down to just 2 and store the rest until they have filled the first 2?