Honey Bees

Bee's are all tucked in for winter, did end up loosing one hive at the Little Woods that struggled all summer.

uGpKdX4.jpg

Mine are tucked in as well. I didnt do the full dominant wind break wall like you ( that looks like it will really block out the wind) but they are insulated, wrapped, added a top entrance, feed box, quilt/insulated box, shim vented the top with a moisture board on as well... I just added a vented bottom board a few days ago (thin sheet of peg board). They sit on a 2x10 box frame which I hope acts as a wind break from too much draft off the bottoms... they have a nice hat of snow on them which tells me at least they are not losing heat out the top. They went to winter in better shape than I thought they would... I had believed they went queen less in both hives but must have requeened or just had a slow down. Anyways... its a waiting game now, if we get a warm day in a month I will maybe crack the hive at the feeder board to see how they are fairing. First year hives .,,, so its still a learning curve thing for me.

This winter Im going to build up for another 2-4 hives... I would like to split if I can in the spring ,,, and want to try and capture a couple swarms - 2019 goals.

Anyone plant Vitex species for bees?

AKA chaste trees,lilac?

bill

I would love too... chaste trees are one usda zone away from my area - planting them would be cool but I think they would struggle here. I just ordered 100 2-3 foot common Lilac. We did a crp pollinator field, and this year I will be planting a buck wheat plot. I ordered Hyssop seed and will likely buy a handful of older hyssop plants - they are kind of a miniature version of the vitex plants. I would like to add late Lilacs or some of the longer blooming kinds too. You cant beat the older common lilacs for their smell though. Im going to try and till up a couple of small strips for annual and perennial flowers near the hives... as low maintenance of flower beds as I can make them. I have cut back on my spraying and dandelions, goldenrod and flowering weeds are no longer on my kill kill kill list.

I have some lilacs but honestly Im not sure just how much they attract the bees ... while they do hang on them for the amount of bloom I would expect more - I know they are a recommended plant. Salvia verticillata lilac sage is supposed to be good for bees too.. but it isnt what I would call a lilac.
... I know hyssop plants once established are always loaded with bees.

Last edited:
I plant clover for them. Mostly Ladino but also have some med red. They hit it hard and the people I sell my honey to like the clover influenced taste.

I put out a lot of mixed clovers too, trying out some Durana to see if the hype is true (I hope it is). Also planting a lot more partridge pea/wildflower mixes for the bee's this spring and some buckwheat but it is more for deer forage.

The wife won’t let me plant buckwheat as it produces a dark strong honey that she doesn’t like.

The wife won’t let me plant buckwheat as it produces a dark strong honey that she doesn’t like.
I've heard that and am interested in giving that a go - just to see the difference. Plus Im just starting out and want to give them as much as I can till I get proficient at keeping them alive. lol they might all be dead right now anyways, if that the case I will be buying new bees instead of seed in the spring... we just had a warm spell two weeks ago and as my wife decided that would be a great time to let the stork drop off a baby boy well.... Soooo... I was a bit preoccupied and didnt get a chance to check on them... now we are in a deep freeze for some time to come. I've been looking into buying some bee friendly plants to stick around the farm... so all this stuff is interesting

I get asked for the dark honey.

I've heard that and am interested in giving that a go - just to see the difference. Plus Im just starting out and want to give them as much as I can till I get proficient at keeping them alive. lol they might all be dead right now anyways, if that the case I will be buying new bees instead of seed in the spring... we just had a warm spell two weeks ago and as my wife decided that would be a great time to let the stork drop off a baby boy well.... Soooo... I was a bit preoccupied and didnt get a chance to check on them... now we are in a deep freeze for some time to come. I've been looking into buying some bee friendly plants to stick around the farm... so all this stuff is interesting

That's the same boat I'm in, new at it and wanting to give them all that I can...not the new baby thing...congrats by the way cavey!
We don't sell any of our honey anyway just use it ourselves and give it away as gifts to friends and family.

Thanks for the responses

My post was also meant to bump Peeps' thread back on the radar with Spring on the way

Bees go with habitat plans like PB&J.........

bill

Im planting buttonbush for the bees.
I plant buckwheat and the bees hammered it. Here in probably 30 days they will be hitting the elm trees.

My bees have been all over the elm trees. Got some cold weather coming in that will put them back in their hive

Just placed order for 2 nucs to be ready in april

will also try to attract some swarms this year with a few boxes in tree stands overlooking clover plots

Anyone have tips for success trapping swarms?

bill

I need some warm weather so I can check on my bees. I should probably think about feeding them.

Just placed order for 2 nucs to be ready in april

will also try to attract some swarms this year with a few boxes in tree stands overlooking clover plots

Anyone have tips for success trapping swarms?

bill

I have tried it a couple times and had zero luck, I'm close to a river and thought that might help but it didn't.

Honey bees or native pollinators of all sorts ………… I think a lot more folks are planting wildflowers, buckwheat, and avoiding spraying flowering weeds like goldenrod, Joe Pye weed, etc. More & more people are recognizing the importance of pollinators to our food supply. All good.

For those that have never had it - buckwheat honey is darker and it has a more robust taste than clover honey or wildflower honey. Different , but still delicious. Great in hot tea or in oatmeal !!

I haven’t had any luck with swarm traps, but one of my neighbors caught a swarm that was cast from one of my hives - so I guess I get an assist on one!

Got these to plant nearby. They were free so I will give them a whirl.15519172310211619783899009580880.jpg

Got these to plant nearby. They were free so I will give them a whirl.View attachment 23144
Stick them in the fridge for 2 or 3weeks just to be safe. Stratifying helps some varieties germinate, and won't harm any that don't need it. Or if it's still chilly there, get them broadcasted asap so mother nature can do it for you.