Hinging

chummer

5 year old buck +
i am going to take advantage of this warm weather and start my hinging project tomorrow. Usually we are under snow by now but no snow yet and temps in the 50's tomorrow. I will be hinging for a bedding area. Two questions, for bedding how far up do I want to hinge? Second, for the purpose of speed I would like to cut part way and let the wind take them down this winter. How far should I cut through. I will be mostly hinging beech, yellow birch, and soft maple. I have about 15-20 acres I would like to hinge between now and May.

For bedding armpit high should be about right. Not sure about letting the wind knock them over.

I agree about armpit high, I usually hinge a larger tree and then put smaller ones on the larger one. As far as cutting them I've never let the wind take them down so can't help you there but I cut them at least 3/4 through and pull or push them over, sometimes its more than 3/4 just enough to keep the cambium intact.

I will push over what I can. The problem is a lot are bigger than I want to deal with. The property is wide open from just being logged so I want to get the rest of the junk down now to thicken up while the regen happens.

Good luck!

As high as u can, less than half. I just had some trees come down this fall from being cut two years ago.
I'll strongly suggest not doing everything this year so u can stack trees up on another.
My living mature hinge trees have given me unbelievable hunting.

Dipper do you have hinging withing bow distance? Are you referring to does hiding in there to escape from bucks on the prowl?

Anywhere i planned on dong more was really daytime bedding but far enough from stands that i can get in without being seen.

Yes and I wouldn't say hiding from bucks...more like running for their lives with 3 bucks totaling 450" on tail

As high as u can, less than half. I just had some trees come down this fall from being cut two years ago.
I'll strongly suggest not doing everything this year so u can stack trees up on another.
My living mature hinge trees have given me unbelievable hunting.
Okay thanks. I will cut the biggest ones today and then stack after they come down. I am hopping with our routine high wind events they will all come down this winter.

Yup let them fall when u aren't there. Cutting less is more. Get the big ones down by this time next year and stack on top of them. Obviously a bigger hinge will always take out a smaller hinge, but a smaller isn't as likely to take out a big.
It's ocd when it comes to hinging, but oh so good.
I never thought u could bring 3 fully mature 4-6 year old bucks in the same place at same time, with another half dozen 100"-125" bucks. I've hunted whitetails all over the country, and only seen such intense rutting a couple times, which was similar to my place. Those intense rut incidents were similar to properties Steve b hunts and manages, where quite frankly anyone can see mega bucks. Not small properties, where neighboring pressure is as intense like my area of central wi(which likely has the one of the highest hunter densities in the country). You can't raise multiple mega bucks on tiny properties, but u can sure attract them during a time they are vulnerable.

My dad and I posted one side of the property then I ran through a tank of gas hinging. I went to a couple knobs about 50 yards behind my most secluded food plot. I probably cut 50 trees. Only had a couple leaners fall over. Mostly yellow birch and beech. It was a little intimidating walking the property and seeing how much I want to do. My dad also wouldn't stay out of the trees I was cutting half way so I called it quits after one tank. It was nice getting a head start on next years plans. The best part was there were already beds where I was cutting. I think I have a sweet spot if I can keep the trespassers off.

Sounds like you have a good jump on the 2016 habitat season.

If deer are already bedding there, it'll only get better from your hinging. Any evergreens in there to block wind ?? Even before the cold winter sets in, the deer will appreciate a calm spot. They do at my camp - good bedding area. I know your deer migrate off the hill.

The area at camp has spruce, hemlock, & pines. Deer love hanging in that stuff all year - it's real quiet and almost no wind in there. An area with hinged trees and some evergreen cover would be a magnet I'd bet !!:)

If deer are already bedding there, it'll only get better from your hinging. Any evergreens in there to block wind ?? Even before the cold winter sets in, the deer will appreciate a calm spot. They do at my camp - good bedding area. I know your deer migrate off the hill.

The area at camp has spruce, hemlock, & pines. Deer love hanging in that stuff all year - it's real quiet and almost no wind in there. An area with hinged trees and some evergreen cover would be a magnet I'd bet !!:)
I have very few evergreens on the property. I will be planting the bedding areas with Norway spruce and any small natives I can transplant

Sounds like a winner.

I know this was touched on, but I like to hinge the big trees first and try to bend a smaller one over when it falls without having to cut it. That's good stuff right there!

Good stuff chummer. I was going to wait until jan/Feb. but its supposed to be unseasonably warm in Northern PA so I may start some hinging this upcoming weekend. Maybe even do some Hack & Squirt on an area of Bush Honeysuckle.

Can hinging be done at any time now that we're into the 2nd week in January ?? I need to take down some junk trees left from logging. Mainly crooked red maples and a few crooked oaks.

Can hinging be done at any time now that we're into the 2nd week in January ?? I need to take down some junk trees left from logging. Mainly crooked red maples and a few crooked oaks.
If its really cold I think more may snap vs "hinge"

I have done plenty in the dead of winter. You need small trees and a soft landing or some with break off. Its all about how hard they hit the ground vs hanging up in other trees.