Hinging Hardwoods within Conifers

kc22

Yearling... With promise
Part of my MN land is an old pine/spruce nursery, a mix of white and Norway pine along with some a variety of spruce. Because it hasn’t been a working nursery with much maintenance for 20+ years, I have a population of hardwoods that have popped up between and amongst the pines. I have mainly ash but also some oak, boxelder, and maple that have popped up. I have food plots carved out amongst the pines and am considering whether to hinge most of the deciduous trees for a sort of edge feathering. Or, flush cut them and take advantage of the resprouting. Most of the trees I’m talking about are 2”-5”. Curious how you guys would think about this?

This is on the edge of a food plot, many of the other areas are much less dense with pines.

ad2a85de067f0dbffdf24fc93489d1bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Part of my MN land is an old pine/spruce nursery, a mix of white and Norway pine along with some a variety of spruce. Because it hasn’t been a working nursery with much maintenance for 20+ years, I have a population of hardwoods that have popped up between and amongst the pines. I have mainly ash but also some oak, boxelder, and maple that have popped up. I have food plots carved out amongst the pines and am considering whether to hinge most of the deciduous trees for a sort of edge feathering. Or, flush cut them and take advantage of the resprouting. Most of the trees I’m talking about are 2”-5”. Curious how you guys would think about this?

This is on the edge of a food plot, many of the other areas are much less dense with pines.

ad2a85de067f0dbffdf24fc93489d1bb.jpg

I would basal spray the trash this winter, and cut and spray most of the rest. You can not spray a few for mineral stumps. Google Craig Harper Forrest stand improvement. You can growing spray folliage with 1-2 quarts/acre of triclopyr 4. This will spare some native grasses and forbs.

You can also run fire through it late winter. Fire generally kills hardwoods and spares evergreens. But I would spray first and maintain with some fire. Get a local forrester to help you with plan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not do a bit of both - hinging and flush-cutting?? Hinge where you think it best, and flush-cutting for resprouting. Resprouting on the edges can also create a "feathered edge" as it sprouts. Maybe do some hinging of a height to create deer bedding areas where they can get in under the hinged tops. With that kind of evergreen cover, it should be fairly easy to create a great sanctuary / browsing area. I'd love to have your situation to work with!!

Hinge any Boxelder you can . Best tree to hinge in my opinion!

Coppice the ash and oak. Hinge the box elder.

Last edited:
Let the oak grow, cut the ash, hinge the box elder.

I think textbook size for hinge cuts is >4" so you might try to hinge some of your biggest in the range you described.
I dont think you can go wrong with hinge cuts on a feathered edge though, it's a pretty ideal scenario. May even try planting some shrubs/diversity in the tops where deer can't get to.

May even try planting some shrubs/diversity in the tops where deer can't get to.
This works. A forester told me to use tops & brush for FREE deer protection to get seedlings established.