Help me choose my apple trees...

meyerske

5 year old buck +
Here's what I'd like (trees are for deer):

Trees must be very resistant to CAR

Some early, mid and late droppers

Low maintenance

Need to match up with good polinators

Please name a tree and a good polinator for it. Crabs are acceptable.

Thanks!

Golden Russet
Golden Delicious
Rome
Jonagold
Goldrush
These five I grow. Late droppers all. Perfect for deer.

What zone are you in?

chestnut crab
Liberty
Arkansas Black
Enterprise
Wickson crab

Here's what I'd like (trees are for deer):

Trees must be very resistant to CAR

Some early, mid and late droppers

Low maintenance

Need to match up with good polinators

Please name a tree and a good polinator for it. Crabs are acceptable.

Thanks!

My opinion is that unless someone knows where you are located, it's not possible to give you a good answer to your question. I looked and couldn't find anything about your state or zone, but forgive me if I missed it.

However, you did mention that the trees must be "very resistant to CAR." If that's the case, Goldrush is one of the absolute worst choices you could possibly make. See a picture below of how CAR affects Goldrush in my area.

Best Wishes......

MdvadC1.jpg

My plantings look like Silver yummies's. Also have the Goldrush from Kent's list, but it's most definitely not CAR resistant. Others that get some love here are Freedom, Yates, and Kerr.

Zone 6

I have a ton of red cedars within a stones throw of the few orchards I have planted in Missouri.
Liberty, enterprise, Arkansas Black, Kinnards choice, yates an chestnut crab all do great here. Aggressive growers with zero sign of disease.
I have a wickson crab that got hit pretty hard with CAR last summer. I had a gold rush at my old farm that got CAR badly as well. It did not grow nearly as vigorously as the Arkansas black which was just 20ft away.
If It were me An I could only have 5 trees it be chestnut crab, Liberty, enterprise, Arkansas Black & Yates. This would give you a nice stagger drop of apples from early, mid, mid/late and late. An all pollinate each other nicely. These varieties all seem to just know where to make branches and at just the right angle! Great trees but lots of other varieties just as good. I have just had great luck with these

Last edited:
I have no quarrel with any of the suggestions above, they’re all good options. That said, my top 5 varieties are Franklin, Enterprise, Galarina, Arkansas Black and Florina Querina. All are disease resistant, pollination dates overlap nicely, and apples are be dropping September through January.

Dolgo, chestnut crab, kerr giving a variety of drop dates and good pollination. I think you HAVE to have an Arkansas Black, Liberty and Enterprise with the latter two in my experience the best of the best. All suggestions have been good. I haven’t seen CAR yet on my goldrush and it has been a vigorous grower, second to the Enterprise, but it’s only a 3 year old tree.

I’d really like a Galarina and Florina, I just don’t have any place to put them currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few Querina Florina planted. They are doing well and have nice growth patterns. They are well liked on this site, but I'll mention that Purdue rates them as VS - Very Susceptible to Juniper Rusts.

Go with crabs if these are strictly for deer. I have a lot of apple varieties and now do mostly crabs for deer. They are way easier IMO. I like Kerr, Dolgo, 30-06 and Drop Tine. These are the only ones I have personal experience with, there are a lot of good crab options out there.

Dolgo, chestnut crab, kerr giving a variety of drop dates and good pollination. I think you HAVE to have an Arkansas Black, Liberty and Enterprise with the latter two in my experience the best of the best. All suggestions have been good. I haven’t seen CAR yet on my goldrush and it has been a vigorous grower, second to the Enterprise, but it’s only a 3 year old tree.

I’d really like a Galarina and Florina, I just don’t have any place to put them currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris at turkey creek trees has several in stock still. Chris always sends nice trees

Kerr

Liberty
Enterprise
AB
Chestnut crab
And definitely a galarina

Note for Arkansas Black from Orangepippintrees site.

Your Arkansas Black apple tree is in flowering group 3. It is a triploid variety and needs two pollination partners nearby which must both be of different varieties.

It is not suited for my area so have never really considered for my land but the OP is from zone 6 so no worries there. Just wanted to let folks know about pollination advice.

In our 7 years of newer plantings, zone 5 & 6 border, Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush***, Galarina, Franklin, Sundance, Priscilla, Arkansas Black are all headache free "regular" apples.
***Goldrush is susceptible to CAR if you gave red cedars or any member of the juniper family growing nearby. (see Native Hunter's pic in post #4 above.) We have no red cedars or junipers for miles around our camp - so CAR not a problem.

Many crabs will work and are pretty headache free too. Crabs will also pollinate "regular" apples well. Chestnut crab, Dolgo crab, Winter Wildlife crab, All-Winter-Hangover crab, Centennial crab, Centurion crab, Trailman crab, Wickson crab - all very good with a variety of blossoming and drop times. The first 4 crabs I mentioned are the ones I'd definitely want if I were limited to a few varieties.

Arkansas Black
Liberety
Enterprise
Golden Russet
Fuji
Gala
Chestnut crab
30-06 crab
Tenpoint crab
DropTine crab

And whatever you choose make sure you get them on a rootstock that does well for your soil type and grows the size of tree your looking for.

I would look at pears too, many varieties that are great for wildlife and very good DR....and pears are easier to raise.