Help identifying this tree?

TxA&Mhunter

5 year old buck +
We ran across a few of theses trees while hinge cutting a few weeks back.
I know it's hard to id with out folloage but figured I'd give it a try.
General info on where it was found.
Texas, lavaca county, Zone 9
The Trees were found in the bottom of a low area that is a finger that drains in to a creek. The soil mostly clay.

IMG_1194_zpswgudthps.jpg

IMG_1195_zpsk4rntdkh.jpg

Looks like it might be persimmon... hard to tell this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bark looks like persimmon to me as well. I always check the buds, distinctive triangle shape.

984e8251e89ed99dd196b89e7f3c262c.jpg

If it is a persimmon, it is a really good size one for down here in Texas. Mark it with tape, and if it sets fruit (persimmon are either male or female, so it may not set fruit). If it does, it might be worth cutting some of the trees around it to reduce the competition. That has the potential to be a magnate when they drop.

I think blackgum has bark like that. We don't have them up here, do you have them in Texas?

The bark is very persimmon looking to me. Mark it and check the leaves this spring and you will know for sure.

Thanks,

Jack

It looks like persimmon

I have not seen any mature persimmon trees in lavaca county only young trees. It might be a American Elm.

It's not like the American Elm growing in the Midwest. Hope it's a Persimmon for your sake!

The bark does look persimmon-like but the upper portion of the tree doesn't look much like any persimmon I've ever seen. I think it could be a member of the black oak group. I've seen Blackjack oaks with bark about like that. But, being it's from Texas it could be something entirely different that I'm not familiar with here in Missouri. Multiple buds on the tips of branches(terminal buds) are one quick oak characteristic to look for when no leaves are present. I'm sure there are some dead leaves on the ground you could look for though.

So all the trees down here are starting to leaf out, so I asked my dad to pop down to this area and take a pic or two. I was down there this past weekend but the area was foooded so no chance to get down there
I'm pretty positive it's not an elm. And my dad is convinced it's not a blackjack.. I passed on the persimmon suggestion and he's not bought in to that but I guess we will see when we get more oics.
Thanks for the input.

Ok I finally got down there here is what I found.
This help narrow down the type of tree?

IMG_1287_zpsbgajbxyq.jpg

IMG_1289_zpssrftgg3o.jpg

Not a persimmon.

Not an oak, elm or blackgum either.

Hackberry.

Hackberry.
def not a hackberry we have tons, and have hingecut sooo many it's not even funny!

Here is a fraction of hackberry hinge last years
IMG_1295_zps4cfmuq3z.jpg

IMG_1290_zpsnypzfy42.jpg

IMG_1303_zpsqnu0olvt.jpg
Here's a better picture of leaves and bloom on them

Looks kind of Viburnum-like in the last pic. I've never seen a viburnum that large though, as seen in one of the earlier pics. I'm not familiar with Texas flora, though, so could be something I'm totally unfamiliar with. How large would you say this specimen is?

Looks kind of Viburnum-like in the last pic. I've never seen a viburnum that large though, as seen in one of the earlier pics. I'm not familiar with Texas flora, though, so could be something I'm totally unfamiliar with. How large would you say this specimen is?

It's a tree. There a a few of them scattered ranging for 30 ft tall to some 12...
Leading candidate is black gum or persimmon ?

I have no idea. Crazy thing is that bark is just so distinct. Here in Indiana the only thing remotely close to it is a persimmon or dogwood. I'm at a loss.