Habitat work this time of year

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Wa super pumped about having 5 days to hunt this week...then the weather said not so fast my friend. 40 mph wind Wednesday am and rain rest of time. Was thinking about firing up the chainsaw instead of sitting inside when the weather doesn’t cooperate. Anyone do any work while the season is still going? I have a part of my property that I don’t really mess with because it doesn’t hold much for deer. Was thinking of beginning my tsi work early this year in there.

Windy days are a good time to sneak up on deer and bump them and figure out EXACTLY where they are bedded. If you already know exactly where they lay on your place, you can always bump some public ground and confirm your suspicions. If you know EXACTLY where they bed for that wind, it makes them much more killable.

I don’t like running a chainsaw in high winds, it neutralizes one of my senses that protect me from injury during an activity that can be incredibly dangerous. I’d rather go hack and squirt or drill and fill myself. Or you can set some traps, coons are running wild around here with this relatively warm weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windy days are a good time to sneak up on deer and bump them and figure out EXACTLY where they are bedded. If you already know exactly where they lay on your place, you can always bump some public ground and confirm your suspicions. If you know EXACTLY where they bed for that wind, it makes them much more killable.

I don’t like running a chainsaw in high winds, it neutralizes one of my senses that protect me from injury during an activity that can be incredibly dangerous. I’d rather go hack and squirt or drill and fill myself. Or you can set some traps, coons are running wild around here with this relatively warm weather.

coons will die this week. That is the only certainty I have so far! I wasn’t going to cut anything big. It’s not gonna be very windy last Thursday. Just a lot of rain. Not crazy about bow hunting in the rain. Too much can go wrong. Is hack and squirt effective this time of year?

coons will die this week. That is the only certainty I have so far! I wasn’t going to cut anything big. It’s not gonna be very windy last Thursday. Just a lot of rain. Not crazy about bow hunting in the rain. Too much can go wrong. Is hack and squirt effective this time of year?

I’ve used full strength roundup in a squirt bottle and have great success year round. I normally just drill a few holes and fill them. The tree will eventually die.

I go 50/50 on roundup and it’s a great time of year.

Hack n squirt works fine this time of year. I like to mix diesel fuel with gly or triclopyr for hack n squirt and basal spraying.

Chainsaw and machinery work seems to do little to spook deer on my place. In fact it seems to attract them within hours. The only time I tend to stay inside is during rifle season. During that time I do NOTHING that I think could bump a deer onto the neighbors place.

Ive been sitting in my stand pondering my next move. It’s so open in my woods you can see 200 yards. Lots of mature hedge, etc and not a lot of browse. I’ve been thinking about what trees I want to come back. There are several mulberries I am thinking about cutting for firewood and not treating the stump. Also several hedge I could eliminate to get more sunlight to the ground. It may be chainsaw time.

Hunting season isn't even over, and already, I've had multiple conversations, while hunting, with my buddy about how he's ready for the season to be over so he can fire up the chainsaw and get after it...

We should rename this forum into Habitat Anonymous or something

Ive been sitting in my stand pondering my next move. It’s so open in my woods you can see 200 yards. Lots of mature hedge, etc and not a lot of browse. I’ve been thinking about what trees I want to come back. There are several mulberries I am thinking about cutting for firewood and not treating the stump. Also several hedge I could eliminate to get more sunlight to the ground. It may be chainsaw time.

Mulberry and Hedge are both loved food for deer on my place, and high in protein. I like to coppice them to ground level and them bush back up from root. I go back about every 3 years and do it again so that they don't outgrow the deer browse height. This gives deer food, opens the canopy for other trees, and creates bushy cover in an otherwise open forest. I never treat stumps unless it's under my powerline right-of-ways or if it's Locust. Locust always gets the death treatment.

Mulberry is a favorite of deer in Ohio.

Mulberry and Hedge are both loved food for deer on my place, and high in protein. I like to coppice them to ground level and them bush back up from root. I go back about every 3 years and do it again so that they don't outgrow the deer browse height. This gives deer food, opens the canopy for other trees, and creates bushy cover in an otherwise open forest. I never treat stumps unless it's under my powerline right-of-ways or if it's Locust. Locust always gets the death treatment.
It kills me not to treat hedge. These are monster hedge trees. One or two would give me firewood for a year. The mulberries are male and also huge. One got hit by lightning and is half dead. I know a large part of the lack of browse was flood water in my bottoms for 2 months, bit a large portion of my lower ground has too much mature timber.
20191124_143716.jpg

Im about to be a sunlight farmer this offseason. Same as you, I sit in the stand and daydream about cutting trees down.

It kills me not to treat hedge. These are monster hedge trees. One or two would give me firewood for a year. The mulberries are male and also huge. One got hit by lightning and is half dead. I know a large part of the lack of browse was flood water in my bottoms for 2 months, bit a large portion of my lower ground has too much mature timber.
View attachment 27225
Your hatred of hedge reminds me of my hatred of locust.
I bet you could get rid of quite a bit of that hedge if you found someone who sells firewood... Might even make a little money off of it.

We burn firewood. Ive told several people they can come cut the last few winters but nobody ever shows up.

By hedge do you guys mean osage orange?

By hedge do you guys mean osage orange?

Yep. Best firewood in the world, and if you ask the right person it's great deer food/habitat. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with cutting that hedge as far as habitat,cut a foot tall and it will bush just like mulberry,I like to hinge cut hedge,seems to live forever