Habitat out loud

^ SD.....Did you get some of the rain that passed through last night? I got a much needed 1/4". Hoping for a bit more later today.

Definitely a good year to be no-till.

^ SD.....Did you get some of the rain that passed through last night? I got a much needed 1/4". Hoping for a bit more later today.

Definitely a good year to be no-till.

Yep, 3/10ths. Much needed and everything is already responding well to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, 3/10ths. Much needed and everything is already responding well to it.

We took a cocktail cruise with 4 couples last night.....and had dinner at a place on the lake. When we got back, I lit our outdoor fireplace......and noticed a little drizzle. So, I got out my trusty canoe paddle and performed a rain dance right there for our guests. Just like that......we got 1/4" of rain over the next two hours. Your welcome. Grin.

We took a cocktail cruise with 4 couples last night.....and had dinner at a place on the lake. When we got back, I lit our outdoor fireplace......and noticed a little drizzle. So, I got out my trusty canoe paddle and performed a rain dance right there for our guests. Just like that......we got 1/4" of rain over the next two hours. Your welcome. Grin.

I’m not complaining, but it’d have been nice if you did that two weeks earlier.

I’m not complaining, but it’d have been nice if you did that two weeks earlier.

I do not do any rain dances unless there are clouds. You'r not talking to a novice here. Grin.

The "Biggest Dig Ever" has been scheduled, help lined up, and machines booked. 5 days with a brand new Bobcat E50 excavator, and 2 with a skid steer.
🍿

The "Biggest Dig Ever" has been scheduled, help lined up, and machines booked. 5 days with a brand new Bobcat E50 excavator, and 2 with a skid steer.
I rented skid steer for a month last year. Some of the most fun I’ve had on my farm.

Have you chronicled the end game for the "Biggest Dig Ever" anywhere or did I miss it?

Have you chronicled the end game for the "Biggest Dig Ever" anywhere or did I miss it?
Not yet. I've got a jumbled list of things that are going to get done. I've got to start organizing it and putting an order of operations together. I will drive that thing over a mile working, so I've got to fix everything as I go past it and make sure I also get the important stuff done before I run out of time.

Not yet. I've got a jumbled list of things that are going to get done. I've got to start organizing it and putting an order of operations together. I will drive that thing over a mile working, so I've got to fix everything as I go past it and make sure I also get the important stuff done before I run out of time.
As long as their is a fish pond on the agenda I'll be satisfied.

I'm digging my biggest pond to date, but this won't be a fish pond. It might hold fish life, but that's not the objective for this one.

I am going to try to get down 12-13' where this pond will be. So I'm gonna have to make a shelf from which to dig and still be able to throw dirt up out of the hole. I wanna see how well I can hold water there. If it works, I may throw a solar bubbler in it. But it has to hold level over winter, and so far, I haven't seen that happen.

SD.....I just want you to size up your completion for these raised bed pics and videos that you are showing. Seen a few real doozies my friend.....and I think you need to up your game.

This is the test hoog. I built this one 4 years ago, and all others have been modeled off the learnings since. For some reason, hoog’ers insist on mounding theirs up high. I don’t understand that. It’s presented a ton of challenges keeping it hydrated. I also learned to leave myself 8” of soil with no wood so I can dig and place plants without hitting a chunk.

This one is just peas, beans, dill, cabbage, and broccoli. I did pitch some flax and collard seed on there after cover cropping the asparagus hoog. Good chance I’m gonna move it later this summer if the biggest dig ever happens.

3e8228e2d8d97d19bdda2d088553fde3.jpg

64a43f4a182685a219b6c1eec358890e.jpg

f26071a56791dc45d36fd39cd8fe74e2.jpg

5a1cbc6a5d09bf22fc7e25bfab4111c1.jpg

It’s too close to my row of white pines, and I’m tired of weed whipping between them.

9a14abf1290056c7a6536cb558af16fa.jpg

Figured you'd want to know about a low-cost, eco-friendly way to recycle and make a good hoog. Does take a bit of paint tor the tires....but you can often get that for free at the recycling centers..... Without further ado....tire planters.jpeg

Figured you'd want to know about a low-cost, eco-friendly way to recycle and make a good hoog. Does take a bit of paint tor the tires....but you can often get that for free at the recycling centers..... Without further ado....View attachment 53679

That looks like next years garbage problem. I like materials I can just scoop up and throw in the woods to decompose.

If you’re following the sweet clover thread, you saw that that stuff is filling in nicely. The gardens are up next:

I have a 2019 hoog that I built to test the idea. I made the decision to not water it. I want to see if the hoog method can keep this stuff alive. I did put a generous load of grass clippings on it to keep it cool.

e31cfc55f4f4755e1011b0c8b4092678.jpg

Hoog III got a good watering this weekend. It was doing ok, but it really responded after getting watered. I wish this stuff would get taller so I can get in there with more hay and wood chips.

89e46387948aeded4ea7eaf2718adca3.jpg

The asparagus bed is doing really well. I put 1.5” of water on it this past weekend. All 32 plants are shooting up new and thicker spears than the first ones.

b2fd997e6361eaa0f16e0c8f911a7231.jpg

The flax, collard, and sunflower covers are punching thru now.

92b2a7b9ec32a1083ed9ca82c11c94db.jpg

Looks like there will be pumpkins and squash this year.

a329c8c6e9016922cfb051b8de92cda7.jpg

c2ca2a606a791a28934ce6e30924d03c.jpg

0c4f37a42c2ea3d3546af7cda453e4f3.jpg

f36cac3ac5f6c44c4046627a394dece8.jpg

My new asparagus bed at camp has exploded with green. I’m gonna weed out the collards. Beings they’re in fluffy soil, they’d be 7’ tall by Labor Day and cast too much shade.

c41ba1861ac34caf4a2bd7648fd951d6.jpg

Lots of flax in there. That’s all staying.

128e55f3a231f6bd9dde45bd84039e35.jpg

Sunflowers and safflower too.

ea21bd5fba59a276361ad5bb4341d2c3.jpg

There’s also asparagus. All 32 plants made it and have shit out new spears.

ccf9608a8778b5664af0c2ab46fe12c6.jpg

The final blend is set for my new ground this year:

Primary:
Rye
Yellow Sweet Clover
Chicory
Plantain

Secondary annuals:
Jap millet
Super Sugar soghum sudan
Flax
Collards
Forage barley

Secondary perennials and wild cards:
Ragweed
Purple coneflower
Black eyed susan
Fixation balansa ( i need to use it up )
Alfalfa ( also need to use it up )

So I've got 6 broadleaves, 4 grasses, 3 legumes, 1 brassica