Habitat out loud

Appreciate the intel fella. I can move the dill out someplace else. I could also move the taters out to the nursery plot. I may still try to mix a few corn plants in there among the shorter stuff just to see what happens. I don't want a can-able amount of corn, but a couple dozen ears might be nice just to see if I can get them to polyculture with the likes of beans and collards.
Sounds like the three sisters method with collards in place of squash

Cool videos

Tree planting for the year is in the bag. Came and went quickly.

Love it! Working smarter not harder. Looks great. The wheels are turning in my head

Love it! Working smarter not harder. Looks great. The wheels are turning in my head
It's one of my favorite habitat projects each year. Incredibly effective if I can get the timing right (this year was excellent) and the moisture is good. The trees are hardy as hell because they're naturally zone matched and they're not out of the ground long. I'm counting this project worth at least $1,000 in trees, and it didn't break my rule of never buying trees ever again.

I’ve got a 24” tree spade that I’ve used to transplant some trees around with but my spade is three point and kills my neck to use any amount. It’s been years since fooled with it a skid steer mounted one would be way better I’ve considered just building a skid steer mount for mine but it’s low on the things to do list.

It's one of my favorite habitat projects each year. Incredibly effective if I can get the timing right (this year was excellent) and the moisture is good. The trees are hardy as hell because they're naturally zone matched and they're not out of the ground long. I'm counting this project worth at least $1,000 in trees, and it didn't break my rule of never buying trees ever again.
I couldn't believe at the ease in which you pulled those out of the ground...

I couldn't believe at the ease in which you pulled those out of the ground...
Yeah, the ditches can be tough sometimes, especially because those spruces get mowed off about every 3-4 years, so they've got way more roots than the tree lets on. Where I was pulling in my own woods, they popped right out without any resistance.

I spotted about a dozen white pines that were the optimal size to move, but I just ran out of time and didn't want to go messing with a cage and posts.

Timing is everything on pulling trees or popping rocks. I target my rock removal projects within the first several weeks after frost out. Moisture levels are highest for practically all yr and the ground is almost "spongy" vs later in summer.

My seed for a test plot came in today. There’s gonna be way more stuff in it, but this is what I’m after for intel.

74d09bfe93932d5f78c8dbde5cc69d84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice thread, I'm just catching up now. The video you started the thread with doesn't work anymore, any chance you have pics of what you were using?

My seed for a test plot came in today. There’s gonna be way more stuff in it, but this is what I’m after for intel.

74d09bfe93932d5f78c8dbde5cc69d84.jpg

When you plan on planting this test plot?

By the way I tried your rip and relocate over a week ago and it worked slick as shit. Pulled up to 3 foot white pines with relative ease. Thanks for the brain share.

Nice thread, I'm just catching up now. The video you started the thread with doesn't work anymore, any chance you have pics of what you were using?

I must have done something I thought would draw heat, which means I probably took it down. I just did a throw and mow using a billy goat mower and a leaf blower seeder.

When you plan on planting this test plot?

By the way I tried your rip and relocate over a week ago and it worked slick as shit. Pulled up to 3 foot white pines with relative ease. Thanks for the brain share.

Looking like first weekend in June. I’m mowing the plot now and need to zap it and restart it. I never got control of the quack when I started it three years ago and it just ran away from me.

Hope that rip and relocate works for ya. It seems to work the best when you get them as soon as the frost lets u pull them. I hope it works out. It could put many otherwise unwanted ditch trees to good use.

Next year, I’ve got some white pines scouted too, and they’ll get moved.

Looking like first weekend in June. I’m mowing the plot now and need to zap it and restart it. I never got control of the quack when I started it three years ago and it just ran away from me.

Hope that rip and relocate works for ya. It seems to work the best when you get them as soon as the frost lets u pull them. I hope it works out. It could put many otherwise unwanted ditch trees to good use.

Next year, I’ve got some white pines scouted too, and they’ll get moved.

I've think I've seen sorghum sudan and/or sorghum in plot screen mixes. Not sure if I've seen anyone plant them for food. I did have pics of deer eating the tops of my EW screen a couple years back.

I've think I've seen sorghum sudan and/or sorghum in plot screen mixes. Not sure if I've seen anyone plant them for food. I did have pics of deer eating the tops of my EW screen a couple years back.
Up by me, the deer will eat darn near anything. That's why I wanted to try these. I suspect all of them will get eaten. I wanna know which grows the easiest, and which one will leave me some biomass without hindering hunting visibility.

Up by me, the deer will eat darn near anything. That's why I wanted to try these. I suspect all of them will get eaten. I wanna know which grows the easiest, and which one will leave me some biomass without hindering hunting visibility.
I’d imagine they like nitrogen. My game bird mix/EW screen will get a bag of urea and a bag of triple 17 when I plant in a couple weeks.

I’d imagine they like nitrogen. My game bird mix/EW screen will get a bag of urea and a bag of triple 17 when I plant in a couple weeks.
I can mineralize enough to finish it. I'll mix it with a handful of different legumes and broadleaves to push it along.

Good and bad.

Good: my 400 road screen spruces are putting on the boom finally.

985faeb95f90b7f12ce4e6d90c36f4c4.jpg

717306570777c4100d0f99f881220840.jpg

f0263e529616a04d175106c7e9582e70.jpg

54769cd0ac72f35427c70693ba306fe3.jpg

Bad: my rye headed out at knee high. I think it grew for 20 days and sent up the flag leaf. That late spring hurt the biomass.

276c886825d0a57c512af9f099aa6fdf.jpg

46cbdcf8aeb1b03a2820e20ce593b5ae.jpg

Here’s a view of my road plot, from the road. It’s finally turning a little blue. It’s really putting on the last little bit. By this weekend, it should be about all it’s gonna be from a rye perspective. Hopefully it ain’t too many more years and that’ll fill up with spruce blockade.

6b0858cd032b35c58d92a41743a3c596.jpg

The sweet clover, vetch, and balansa are kicking into gear finally in there.

01bd18992b5f61177293a3a28d94ef6c.jpg

88c77558dd960ca29a63b738e48fa2d4.jpg

8b36e23e63e7c5cf608aa77574e36ebf.jpg

adb0971dc30153b3ee82831509420da5.jpg