Habitat out loud

Coneflowers and black eyed Susan’s just for pollinators?

Coneflowers and black eyed Susan’s just for pollinators?
That and to keep the perennial or reseeding broadleaf count up. And I like the looks of a colorful plot.

Coneflowers aren't very prevalent in my area, but they are out there. Black eyed susan is more common and seems to pop up in places very difficult to grow. They also seem to be a good gap filler for my bees. I've got 7' tall chicory all over on my place right now, but the flowers haven't opened up yet. The BES are wide open. It's gonna be something to see if I can get a pic of those chicory flowers before the deer get them.

The top 1-3 feet of most of my plots started with 0.5% OM toothpaste clay, so I throw lots of things at them to get them to start growing some fiber and punch holes in that smear.

I added BES and purple coneflower in 2021 when I dug last. I thought it failed, so I never planted any last year. I hadn't been back to my deep woods plots for a few weeks due to bugs being horrendous, but I went out yesterday. And it was perfect timing too, because after that, I was going to inventory seed and place my orders right after that. I got out there and found BES everywhere and in that tough soil.

Where these are, is where I'm spreading pond spoils during the biggest dig ever ever. It's kinda sad to have to bury this, but this plot only looks as good as it does because it was solid trees two years ago. Soon the sedge and other grasses would have it swamped.

I've got way more in my north plot complex, but these were a nice surprise.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 14
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 13
The BES are really coming In my north plot.

540e7af3df82d0d17f1434e7a778e982.jpg

My chicory crop gets bigger every year. The whole stand is getting up to 7’ tall. This is gonna be something to see once the blues open up.

f937ae510a707c3233743bdf3d43b918.jpg

After I mow that next month, it’ll be solid clover, chicory, plantain, and flowers. I’m not even going to overseed this with anything this year.

22d225b7321f9b356f3239a62797a035.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ragweed seed came today. It’s packaged nicer than a bottle of crown royal.

2583178d0fa7b81152b845e9be62c039.jpg

How much does a pound of ragweed seed cost? Nothing in that packaging can be cheap!

I have quite a bit of ragweed (both common and giant) and the giant seems to be browsed pretty heavily. The common ragweed doesn't seem to be browsed as much though, but it is good at filling in dead spots in my crp.

It wasn't bad. Can't remember what the shipping was. I like having it out there as an extra broadleaf. Broadleaves are hard in the food plot world because there are so few, so I've been going outside the food plot business to find more to put in there. I've got a bunch now, and a majority of them are native and came on their own. I brought the chicory, plantain, black eyed susan, flax, and ragweed. I got asters, fleabanes, buttercup, dandelion, curly dock and thistle for free. My thistle patch is petering out though.

1689356574708.png

The rest came now. I’m ready to plant.

619ad32b4cc51d1b38682330b50e3da8.jpg

8c26279db3dfb7f9c362b7505e39624d.jpg

Wow.....^ they know how to charge for some of those seeds. When are you doing the "big dig". Taking next week off? May need to spend a bit of time watching that operation.

Wow.....^ they know how to charge for some of those seeds. When are you doing the "big dig". Taking next week off? May need to spend a bit of time watching that operation.

I start Thursday and digging thru Monday.

My north plot got to where I wanted it. The chicory opened up bigly this week.

20fca85c11b7186b88f0673cc9cca569.jpg

6419af48613b9051c2eb6242886076e0.jpg

I could see the BES from a long ways away.

4591852e80833527436ea0cf6b7182b1.jpg

There’s clover and plantain under all of that too.

b84d719970c8d52f2faffb26d5cb86fc.jpg

I added BES and purple coneflower in 2021 when I dug last. I thought it failed, so I never planted any last year. I hadn't been back to my deep woods plots for a few weeks due to bugs being horrendous, but I went out yesterday. And it was perfect timing too, because after that, I was going to inventory seed and place my orders right after that. I got out there and found BES everywhere and in that tough soil.

Where these are, is where I'm spreading pond spoils during the biggest dig ever ever. It's kinda sad to have to bury this, but this plot only looks as good as it does because it was solid trees two years ago. Soon the sedge and other grasses would have it swamped.

I've got way more in my north plot complex, but these were a nice surprise.

My limited experience with BES from seed matches yours. Our house had a non-compliant septic when we bought in ‘20 and they had to clear a bunch of mostly buckthorn to create a new drain field. Wife broadcasted a bunch of pollinator seed on it fall of ‘21. Was mostly just weeds last summer but is a bee and butterfly happy place now.

I thought of this thread and you in particular when walking by it today because of 1. similar BES experience and 2. There’s a ton of big ass thistle around the edges and within.

D8477E97-5DA7-4ABD-B73A-91D37EC7964C.jpegB3024D48-8605-47FC-976A-133B7AEB8559.jpeg

My limited experience with BES from seed matches yours. Our house had a non-compliant septic when we bought in ‘20 and they had to clear a bunch of mostly buckthorn to create a new drain field. Wife broadcasted a bunch of pollinator seed on it fall of ‘21. Was mostly just weeds last summer but is a bee and butterfly happy place now.

I thought of this thread and you in particular when walking by it today because of 1. similar BES experience and 2. There’s a ton of big ass thistle around the edges and within.

View attachment 54725View attachment 54726

That is spectacular!

I had a goal of getting the color spectrum as high as possible. I was all smiles when I saw mine this weekend.

I want to try a few more, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

I tried a pollinator mix several years ago but it really didn’t turn out very well for me nothing as nice as posted above. My native grass planting this year looks a bit like a pollinator mix with more forbs than usual probably do to the spring drought we suffered.

My north plot got to where I wanted it. The chicory opened up bigly this week.

20fca85c11b7186b88f0673cc9cca569.jpg

6419af48613b9051c2eb6242886076e0.jpg

I could see the BES from a long ways away.

4591852e80833527436ea0cf6b7182b1.jpg

There’s clover and plantain under all of that too.

b84d719970c8d52f2faffb26d5cb86fc.jpg

I have planted Chicory in my food plot every Spring but it has never made it to the flower stage like that. I have a bunch of these flowers next to my driveway that look just like these, I will try and grab a picture and post it, I always thought it was just some native wildflowers. Interesting.

Chicory is a common roadside flower where I am also and I haven’t had luck with it flowering either I thought perhaps I needed to mow the area once in the summer to get it to bloom as the roadside flowers appear to require in my area. But this is simply my latest hypothesis on its flowering.

The deer pop on my place is pretty low in the summer. The does get very territorial during the growing season and drive away any bucks and other non-family does. I've also got boat loads of browse from years of sky busting with my chainsaw. I think that's the only reason I have chicory like i do right now.

I think this is Chicory along side my driveway, it’s literally growing out of rocks and gravel where the grass seed I spread wouldn’t take.
IMG_8219.jpeg

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the broadleafs in this picture below also Chicory but in the early stage? This is how I learn stuff :) I should probably plant seed I use in the food plot in pots so I can better identify this stuff.

IMG_8227.png

I think this is Chicory along side my driveway, it’s literally growing out of rocks and gravel where the grass seed I spread wouldn’t take.
View attachment 54790

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the broadleafs in this picture below also Chicory but in the early stage? This is how I learn stuff :) I should probably plant seed I use in the food plot in pots so I can better identify this stuff.

View attachment 54791
That is chicory for sure.