Ha ha

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So there is a parcel that is about 2.5 acres that borders mine. I offered to buy at a decent price. It is landlocked. He has no way to access the property. He told me no, he promised his mom he’d never sell. It’s not an ideal piece, home in front, does have a pond, but also a hill side (pond at bottom). I got a letter from his attorney asking if I’d be interested in selling a pice of mine so he can access. (Ingress/egress). Told him Unfortunately not interested in selling at this time. He stated he wants to do “something “ with it. I know the guy with the house won’t sell. Hoping the people on the other side say no as well.

Why have an attorney send a letter to your neighbor asking to buy? I’d avoid that if I wanted to buy thinking it might send the wrong message?

Keep us posted how it all shakes out.

Yeah, not sure why he would do that. When I spoke with him originally about buying it (last summer) I told him he has 2.5 acres that borders mine and that it is landlocked and would he be interested in selling it. I offered him a fair price. He told me, no, not landlocked and he thought it was larger than what it was. That’s when he first told me he promised his mom he’d never sell it.

Maybe if he offered me a stupid price, I’d consider it, but he never even made an offer. But to be honest, it would have to be A LOT. I only have 12 acres and while he’d only need 100 yards or so, and it would be along my border I don’t think I would want the extra traffic nor would I want him building a house there. (He mentioned that the first time I spoke with - the guy has money)

He can force an easement through the shortest and most direct route to his property.

So there is a parcel that is about 2.5 acres that borders mine. I offered to buy at a decent price. It is landlocked. He has no way to access the property. He told me no, he promised his mom he’d never sell. It’s not an ideal piece, home in front, does have a pond, but also a hill side (pond at bottom). I got a letter from his attorney asking if I’d be interested in selling a pice of mine so he can access. (Ingress/egress). Told him Unfortunately not interested in selling at this time. He stated he wants to do “something “ with it. I know the guy with the house won’t sell. Hoping the people on the other side say no as well.
I wouldn't say no to his offer to buy an easement, but I would just come up with a crazy $$$ that would work. If his land is landlocked, his options are pretty limited and eventually he may get tired of paying taxes on a property he can't access and maybe he will sell it to you.

In my county they won't allow you to sell off some areas of your property if it will leave a piece of property land locked.

Our land has a half mile of old RR tracks that were removed before my time. It took some DD but finally was able to track down the owners of the last 2 pieces inside our perimeter. The final one was a guy who bought a sliver on back taxes. He bought it knowing it was landlocked. When I got in touch with him I low balled him. Told him he couldn't access it, and that the times he did, he was trespassing on somebody. He said he had friends who were surveyors and that they'd get him on his sliver anytime he wanted. Raised my offer from 1k to 2k and he went for it. We met at Duncan Donuts to sign over the deed. I had to snicker under my breath when it became clear he couldn't read the legal description right and I actually got an acre instead of the half acre he thought he was selling.

In my county they won't allow you to sell off some areas of your property if it will leave a piece of property land locked.

Same. And there is a law tucked away somewhere that requires you to allow access to a landlocked property. For those that existed before. Not sure how they decide who has to allow the access if there is more than one neighbor. What a pain…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my county most "easements" are 20' wide to wherever they need to go. To build a new home landowner must have 100' of road frontage..no new residential flag properties allowed.

He told me no, he promised his mom he’d never sell.

Bull shit. If he gets an easement he will be selling it to the highest bidder that wants to experience “country living”

Our land has a half mile of old RR tracks that were removed before my time. It took some DD but finally was able to track down the owners of the last 2 pieces inside our perimeter. The final one was a guy who bought a sliver on back taxes. He bought it knowing it was landlocked. When I got in touch with him I low balled him. Told him he couldn't access it, and that the times he did, he was trespassing on somebody. He said he had friends who were surveyors and that they'd get him on his sliver anytime he wanted. Raised my offer from 1k to 2k and he went for it. We met at Duncan Donuts to sign over the deed. I had to snicker under my breath when it became clear he couldn't read the legal description right and I actually got an acre instead of the half acre he thought he was selling.
I gotta say I've seen some property descriptions that seem like a foreign language. Have to put your thinking cap on to figure out especially if it's an odd shaped piece of land. sw 1/4 of the southeast 1/4 26 rods ne of the se half of the northeast section.......

I’m a surveyor in training..some of these deeds it would blow your mind how badly they are written, but then you remember that most were written by lawyers and it makes more sense…apparently you can have a 140 degree bearing to the northwest haha

giphy.gif

I’m a surveyor in training..some of these deeds it would blow your mind how badly they are written, but then you remember that most were written by lawyers and it makes more sense…apparently you can have a 140 degree bearing to the northwest haha
weird legal.png
Part of the legal for our place. And this is West far enough that the PLSS was in place.

View attachment 63130
Part of the legal for our place. And this is West far enough that the PLSS was in place.
I have the original deed to my property saved somewhere, I remember it having mention of a fence post and a corner oak tree as markers. Shockingly when they built a cabin on it, they later found out it was built off their property and ended up doing a land swap with the neighboring farm, which is why my property has a bulge in the NW corner now. haha