Grain Sorghum

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Can grain sorghum be a late fall/winter food source for whitetails? Can it stay upright in the snow?

Also, sudan grass is a great subsoiler when its mowed at least once during the growing season. But does grain sorghum have similar subsoiling abilities?

I ask because it is my understanding that sorghum can be a less nutrient intensive crop vs corn when growing late season carbs.

I have grown it twice. Both times I planted about 1/2 acre. It was easy to grow. I incorporated urea and then broadcast the seed into the prepared seed bed. I think I ran a drag over the seed. The deer by me left it alone until the middle of October and then pounded it. I have high deer densities. They cleaned it up within two weeks both times. With more acreage and/or less deer, I don't see why it wouldn't work into the winter. It should stand up above the snow. My empty stalks did anyway. I used about 80 pounds/acre of actual nitrogen.

My neighbor has some BMR sorghum that I could get a bit of seed. I understand that the BMR does not stand up as well.

any comments on it's use by pheasants or deer in an area with low numbers?

Blend wild game sorghum 70% : BMR or EW 30%

Blend wild game sorghum 70% : BMR or EW 30%

Doug-can you explain the benefits of the different components of the blend?

Can grain sorghum be a late fall/winter food source for whitetails? Can it stay upright in the snow?

Also, sudan grass is a great subsoiler when its mowed at least once during the growing season. But does grain sorghum have similar subsoiling abilities?

I ask because it is my understanding that sorghum can be a less nutrient intensive crop vs corn when growing late season carbs.

what do you mean by subsoiling?

what do you mean by subsoiling?

When mowed, the SudanSudan will put down twice as many roots and those will punch through the hard pan if u have one. Much like tillage radishes create macro channels for nutrients and new roots to follow into the subsoil.

Du
Doug-can you explain the benefits of the different components of the blend?
dual root action....standing cover....energy dense food