Grafts on Callery Pear

ToddG

5 year old buck +
Here are some of my grafts on Callery Pear. Do they look like they are going to make it?IMG_20200421_145639.jpgIMG_20200421_145948.jpgIMG_20200421_150015.jpg It has been 3 weeks since they were gratfed.

They look good. Too early to tell for sure, but I would bet they all make it.

Any idea how long I should wait before removing the tape?

Looks good but it could still just be the energy stored in the scion. Feel better once you see the scion really pushing new growth over the next month. I wouldn't remove the tape until mid to late summer. Consider adding a piece of bamboo to stick up higher so that birds will land on that and not break off the grafts.

Been 13 days on mine not a sign of growth. I checked the scions and they are not dead. It’s been cold and snowy with quite a few nights below 30 though. Hoping they show signs of life soon.

Been 13 days on mine not a sign of growth. I checked the scions and they are not dead. It’s been cold and snowy with quite a few nights below 30 though. Hoping they show signs of life soon.
Mine took about 14 days before the buds started to swell and it was warm here. I think you will be fine.

Reactions: Rit
Any idea how long I should wait before removing the tape?

I would say about October.

late fall while its still warm enough so that tape doesn't come off hard ... be careful removing the tape... I use electrical tape and every once in a while it will take hold of the bark and you may peel it. You could even wait till spring without any issues - I have forgotten a couple and noticed in the spring and never had an issue .

late fall while its still warm enough so that tape doesn't come off hard ... be careful removing the tape... I use electrical tape and every once in a while it will take hold of the bark and you may peel it. You could even wait till spring without any issues - I have forgotten a couple and noticed in the spring and never had an issue .
I used rubber tape and not vynl tape. The rubber tape will stretch so I hoped that would help prevent girdling. My son goes out and checks on all of them every day. He can't believe it worked.

Summercrisp on wild pear.

I previously had a wild keiffer that I grafted on top of this tree. It grew to a large, well branched 10ft top in a little over one season, but it blew off at the graft in a storm. I question whether the rootstock pushes out far too much growth too quickly to hold the graft union.AF52247D-F576-4EB9-9BC2-90B5F0AD13FD.jpeg

Updated photos. This is my first time grafting. I can't believe it worked.IMG_20200501_164310.jpgIMG_20200501_164626.jpgIMG_20200501_164310.jpgIMG_20200501_164626.jpg