Two topworked Callery Pears after one year

Native, when do you suggest taking grafting tape off?
I like to wait until the end of the season once everything hardens off. The next spring is okay too. However, If I get a lot of growth, I may leave the wind bracing on even longer. It really hurts to go to all that work and then have a storm ruin a successful graft.

Or cut off a nurse branch and have it rip one of the grafts off because of your inattention.

In other threads I have talked about how I wind brace new grafts, but I may have not mentioned it here. I use sticks of cane (native bamboo) and duct tape. Tape the cane sticks to the trunk and then use tape or clothes line attached to the upper parts of the cane for the grafts to lean against if the wind pushes them. This is absolutely necessary in most areas. If you don’t have cane, any light, rigid sticks will work.

I looked back and found this picture of where I topworked and braced an apple tree this spring. The cane is already taped to the trunk of the tree, but I haven't added the tape (or wire) at the top yet for the grafts to lean against. As the grafts grow, you may need to add more bracing. That's why I make the cane sticks so long.

brace.jpg

In other threads I have talked about how I wind brace new grafts, but I may have not mentioned it here. I use sticks of cane (native bamboo) and duct tape. Tape the cane sticks to the trunk and then use tape or clothes line attached to the upper parts of the cane for the grafts to lean against if the wind pushes them. This is absolutely necessary in most areas. If you don’t have cane, any light, rigid sticks will work.
I learned the hard way on this. I waited too long on taping a stake to the tree. Thankfully I grafted 2 scions to a rootstock and only 1 was damaged during a wind storm. I plan on leaving the stakes for a while. Both grafts have grown at least 6 feet, probably more than that honestly. I'll leave the graft tape on until next growing season to be safe. Thanks for all of your advice, Native, you helped me out tremendously through the process.

Gave my hand at it x5. Fingers crossed. Asian pear scions on four of the many CP I am an proud owner of. I put them in miracle tubes, is this okay?

Gave my hand at it x5. Fingers crossed. Asian pear scions on four of the many CP I am an proud owner of. I put them in miracle tubes, is this okay?
Should be fine. I've done both European and Asian pears on callery. I haven't needed tubes on callery rootstock personally. I haven't noticed a desire for bucks to rub callery but I suppose that could differ from place to place.

I thought the same thing until this callery with grafts got ripped up-lol. It was even tucked a little into a thicket. Had to put some t-posts in front of it to stop the rubbing.

Attachments

• PXL_20231114_183502142.jpg
    PXL_20231114_183502142.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 16
I planted a bunch of apples, crabs and pears ....had the tubes left over and figured it couldnt hurt.......I have trust issues with deer and things i like . Hahaha

Here is an updated pic of that first tree a year later. As you can see, it grew a lot in a year and is putting out a few flowers.

IMG_3918.jpeg

I looked back and found this picture of where I topworked and braced an apple tree this spring. The cane is already taped to the trunk of the tree, but I haven't added the tape (or wire) at the top yet for the grafts to lean against. As the grafts grow, you may need to add more bracing. That's why I make the cane sticks so long.

View attachment 58825
I wish I would have went ahead and added bracing as soon as my pear grafts took like this. I had one that broke during a windstorm last year. Thankfully I grafted 2 scions to a rootstock and 1 made it through the storm! The grafts grew over 6 foot in height in their first year, I'd say 1 is pushing 8-10 foot. I'll definitely be adding bracing as soon as the grafts take this year!

I grafted 5 last year one took well and has leafed out this spring the others I cut low and Tordon treated the stumps last weekend. I’m done fooling with them the one that took had plenty of limbs below my bark graft that I pruned but will likely fight for the rest of that trees life or mine whichever dies first.

I’m reluctant to post this because you might think I’m lying. But this is also one topworked 2 springs ago. It put out a central leader 20 feet tall with only one limb. This week I took out about 6 feet out of the top to encourage limbs.

IMG_3936.jpeg

Ended up topworking another callery pear to olympic giant yesterday. Glad I did because the scion was starting to bud out. Our fridge compressor went out last week and I had to transfer everything to a cooler for a couple of days. I believe the temp change is what caused this. I did not realize it until the callery top was cut off. You guys think the scion will survive grafted?

Ended up topworking another callery pear to olympic giant yesterday. Glad I did because the scion was starting to bud out. Our fridge compressor went out last week and I had to transfer everything to a cooler for a couple of days. I believe the temp change is what caused this. I did not realize it until the callery top was cut off. You guys think the scion will survive grafted?
Chances are not as good, but if it doesn't work just wait a year or two and do it again.

Chances are not as good, but if it doesn't work just wait a year or two and do it again.
I figured that. I chose the scions with buds the least swelled. We shall see