Grafting Update

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
Here are a few of my 2014 grafts and how they have progressed since being grafted in March of 2014 and planted in June of 2014. This is a Daybreak Fuji I left 2 branches on this one when I grafted and you can see how one is growing at rightangleIMG_1009.jpg

This one is a Fameuse or snow apple both are on G.11 dwarf rootstock Both are approaching 10 ftIMG_1010.jpg

Its pretty amazing how much growth a tree can make in 2 summers. I bet they make an even bigger jump this coming year with good weather.

Yes I can imagine. I will go out in a bit and take a few pics of my better growing 2015 grafts and contrast it with a few slow growers which I also have. I can clip a few scions too guys even though I pruned already I can always fine a stick here or there !!!

and now a hard to see Michelin with not much growthIMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg Reinette Chenee both this one and Roxbury Russett are about 6 ft and grafted in 2015 April

Last edited:
Wow you get a lot of growth in a season or two. Congrats!

-John

Yes I am hoping for some good laterals in 2016 on the 2015 grafts

Looking Good Aero! When grafting, do you dip the entire graft / scion in wax? I haven't in the past but was going to use that method this year. Keep up the great work - thanks for sharing the photo's!

Looking Good Aero! When grafting, do you dip the entire graft / scion in wax? I haven't in the past but was going to use that method this year. Keep up the great work - thanks for sharing the photo's!
No I usually just dip the tip and the ones in the pics in the other thread I just used a brush to seal because they were already in root trappers so it's hard to dip a 5 gallon bag half full of soil lol

View attachment 8383 Reinette Chenee both this one and Roxbury Russett are about 6 ft and grafted in 2015 April

Aero,

I have a some varieties that I grafted last year that are similar in size, and that look like your unfeathered whips. Are you planning to give them a heading cut this year? If so when (or what stage dormant, bud break, first leaf)?, and at what height? I'm running a mix of semi dwarf trees in my orchard (M7, and G222) at 12' spacing.

I don't plan on cutting any unless they were clipped by the deer and I had some of that even though they were caged. I didn't head back any of the 2014 grafts and you can see how they did. It was kind of an experiment for me and it seems that the growth I am getting is just fine. I may change my tune if the 2015 grafts don't take off. I am using G.11 and G.41 rootstocks with 7 and 10 ft spacing. I give a bit more space as I am not looking for a commercial high density orchard. I wanted to do trellis system but haven't figured out how I can do that by myself and relatively inexpensively. I tried to get Maya to come down and consult but he is still too busy working :p

Hey Aero you buy my plane ticket and provide accommodations and I will come help you put that trellis system in! :D

Hey Aero you buy my plane ticket and provide accommodations and I will come help you put that trellis system in! :D
Now that is very tempting offer LOL I may just take you up on that offer ;)

Here are a few of my 2014 grafts and how they have progressed since being grafted in March of 2014 and planted in June of 2014. This is a Daybreak Fuji I left 2 branches on this one when I grafted and you can see how one is growing at rightangleView attachment 8376

I thought MI and PA were like the same climate? Where the heck is your snow? I can't wait to check on my last year grafts, just not quite time yet w/ the snow.

This one is a Fameuse or snow apple both are on G.11 dwarf rootstock Both are approaching 10 ftView attachment 8377

So thats probably max height now right? It'll be more throwing fruiting type buds and things now rather then growing vertically?

Hey Corey I see you are from NH and I received scions from a guy up there who has Pups Cidery . He sent me 2 varieties that are from NH one called Milden and another called Pups Jeanette. I also got some other scions from him ....Zabergau, Michelin and Sherrington Norman all of which he uses in his cider. He sells his cider mostly in NH and was wondering if you ever heard of it. His name is Rick Stadnik and here is the link to his site which is not great but has his contact info and location. I was visiting friends there one time in Amherst and called there to see if they had a tasting room which they didn't but we got to talking and he offered me the scionwood which I took and I have successfully grafted all varieties he gave me and the scions were huge and grew like crazy last year. Just FYI

View attachment 8383 Reinette Chenee both this one and Roxbury Russett are about 6 ft and grafted in 2015 April

Wow my best grafts in 2015 do not have near that height. Holy smokes Paul is this just a crazy aggressive grower variety or is this just a freak happenstance?

So thats probably max height now right? It'll be more throwing fruiting type buds and things now rather then growing vertically?
Well yes its supposed to be about 10 to 12 ft. I am not sure that the Fameuse has any fruit buds but there are a few of my 2014 grafts that do and I will let them fruit if they get apples. I am a rebel what can I tell you LOL. I just like to see fruit and taste it

We have been so lucky with snow here that I think we had 4 to 5 inches total. We had a dusting last night which is melting now with the sun and its supposed to be near 50 over the weekend. I just hope we don't get too warm to fool the trees again like 2 years ago :eek: