Grafting to rootstocks already planted.

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Ok guys, I made a flipping colossal error last year as I dove into fruit trees ass first and used my brown eye for a filter.

In short, i SCREWED UP. I was so excited about planting fruit trees I bought tons of stuff that aren't guaranteed to grow anything, Lamans - I bought trees that were grown from seed. So I have 15 or so trees I unexpectedly have to graft after reviewing what I did last year. The seedling trees grew great but as all you fruit boys know, they aren't guaranteed anything and I refuse to leave anything to chance after learning so much from reading all you guys have done.

So luckily some members here have been so stinking helpful to give me some scion wood to work with that I'll have enough to use on these trees as well as the other project i'm undertaking for a totally different property.

Do you approach grafting to planted rootstock (in its final resting place) any different to bench grafting at home before planting in a nursery or final spot? Any particular videos you guys really like for this style of grafting. Again the rootstocks are only 2 years old that are planted so they aren't really thick yet.

Thank You.

-Signed

The Habitat-Talk fruit village idiot, moron, sucker.
Sad_face-3.jpg

I'd just go with a simple cleft graft. You'll want to paint the tip of your scion (unless there is a bud on the end) and maybe the graft (after you wrap it with parafilm, elec. tape or whatever your using) with tree wound sealant to protect it from drying out. I've read of people using the wax from a toilet wax ring, so I bought a cheap one and am going to try it on some of my limb grafts to see how that works.

Yea what Greyphase said! I have used the toilet bowl wax it works just fine for sealing cut surfaces.

Thanks guys!

I was advised to use a bark graft on the trees that I planted last year and some in my orchard that I had to cut the tops off of. I think that bark graft was decided because I had some larger trees. This is speculation, but I think also since it's my first time grafting they said do it on all of them so that I didn't have to learn multiple grafts on the fly.

Depends on the size of what you are grafting to and to some extent the diameter of the scion. Both of you guys are heading down the right road.

How about T Budding? I'll try to find a video.

Try this video

T-budding is for summer bud wood graft if i'm not mistaken.