Grafting timing question.

Apple Junkie

5 year old buck +
I have rootstocks from last year where my scions did not take. I also have some bare root trees that are now one year old, and in need of a light prune. So, I am wondering if I can take the “pruning” from one tree and then immediately graft it to my rootstock. I don’t see any significant bud swelling, but things will probably heat up in the next week or so. Feasible? …or not?

Great... thanks a lot TC. At least I will know it is my technique, not my timing, that is to blame for my failures!

I have rootstocks from last year where my scions did not take. I also have some bare root trees that are now one year old, and in need of a light prune. So, I am wondering if I can take the “pruning” from one tree and then immediately graft it to my rootstock. I don’t see any significant bud swelling, but things will probably heat up in the next week or so. Feasible? …or not?

Sure! I find it even works better. There is no time for the scion to degrade. Since I did my bench grafting indoors and containerized the grafts and put them under lights, I collected scions from my trees when I pruned and bench grafted the next day. They were quicker to take than the scions I received from GRIN.

Thanks,

Jack

That's encouraging to hear Jac. I'll follow your lead, and graft when the rootstock wakes up. Thanks for the advice.

That's encouraging to hear Jac. I'll follow your lead, and graft when the rootstock wakes up. Thanks for the advice.

My rootstock was completely dormant when I bench grafted. In the field, for some kinds of grafts, I want the sap to be running. For others, it seems I can graft earlier. Keep in mind that you don't want your scions to be breaking dormancy when you graft. That means you will need to collect and store them if you wait for the first signs of life in the root stock. Both methods seem to work for me for most cambium alignment type grafting. For bark grafting, you want the sap running and the bark slipping well.

Thanks,

Jack

Ahhhh.... good point. I might have overlooked that issue, done.

I grafted one outside this week. Neither the tree or scions have woke up but I think they should very soon.

I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing as this the first one I’ve tried. :emoji_smile:

Time will tell.....