Grafting Chestnuts

Jack, I think you should look at doing micropropagation. Gets away from your graft compatibility concern. Maybe not fast to flower as grafting.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JARS/v39n3/v39n3-paden.htm

Very neat. I had read about it but didn't realize it could be done at home. I doubt if I'll undertake it but let me know if you do!

Thanks,

Jack

What about air layering chestnuts think they would air layer ok?

What about air layering chestnuts think they would air layer ok?

The problem with air layering is the speed with which the target tree species produces roots. I have seen a technique where a wire is used to constrict the scion before air layering that is supposed to speed rooting. Depending on location, you only have so long from leaf out until freezing weather. So, if you don't get enough rooting to support the scion before you cut it from the tree, it won't survive. So, I guess it just depends on how readily they root how well this technique would work with chestnuts.

Thanks,

Jack

Wayne (wpbdeer) was gracious enough to send me some last minute Chinese Chestnuts to play around with some nut and seedling grafting techniques. He sent 24. 15 of them passed the float test. I discarded the rest. He said he soaked them overnight, and put them in a ziplock bag with no medium and put them in the fridge. He said that on average they had been in for 87 days when he sent them to me and that most of the bags had condensation in them when removed. I'm not sure about my individual bag.

None of the 15 nuts showed any sign of producing a root radicle yet. Not being sure of the exact level of cold stratification, after soaking all the nuts over night, I divided the nuts into 2 groups. (As moisture content in the nut drops, cold stratification slows and if the moisture content drops low enough, it can stop.) One group I put back in the fridge with damp long-fiber sphagnum. The other group I planted.

I normally plant my chestnuts under the medium in 18s. This seems to reduce the amount of mold. However, since I plan to use several techniques to graft these, I want the stem exposed with as little disturbance to the roots as possible. So, I simply places these nuts on top of the medium in 18s as many others do.

Thanks,

Jack

I was at the farm today collecting scions. It looks like a couple of the Chinese chestnuts have root radicles started but no top growth yet. While trying to figure out where to go from here, I ran across this nut grafting demonstration video. Long, but very informative for one method of nut grafting:

Thanks,

Jack

I started my nut/seedling grafting today. Two of my AU Buck IIIxIV nuts were small but they germinated. Unfortunately, they damped out very quickly. So, I decided to try them first. First I removed enough mix from the cells to expose the top inch of root.
523dd007-cbdb-423b-8ec8-b213cc8ffbde.jpg

I cut the stem off just below the damp-out and then split the stem down into the root. I inserted the scion there. My problem is that my fingers are to big to use rubber bands or parafilm. I had a hard time securing the graft. With one graft, I did not secure it at all. With the other, I was able to get a twist tie around it. I put both cells in a 1 gal Ziploc bag to hold in the humidity. I decided to use a binder clip on the top of the bag so I could hand it from my shop lights....Mistake... The bag slipped out of the binder clip and crashed.

The graft with the twist tie seemed to stay intact so I put the medium that fell out back in the cell and put it in a bag by itself. This time, I put a small hole in the bag above the seal but below the reinforcement and slipped a cable tie through it to hand it from the lights. With all the brouhaha, I doubt if it will take but what the heck, I'm learning.

The scion cam out of the unsecured graft and the root broke off at the nut. Undeterred, I saw this as an opportunity to do a direct nut graft. I cut the end off the nut and did a traditional direct nut graft like those shown in the video above. I then checked the Chinese chestnuts that Wayne sent me. Only one has produced a root radicle so far. It had no stem yet so I decided to try the direct nut grafting again. I took some pics this time. I first cut off the root radicle:

e1bdc8f3-4d24-461e-b320-e3f96c3e7141.jpg

Next, I used a utility knife to cut about 1/4 of the nut off:

f15cb17b-6e81-40ae-8474-a64b6f45f9cb.jpg

I then used an Exacto knife to make a slice and inserted a scion. I placed the nut back in an 18 covering the nut with promix.

1d9941c3-d4b8-4c3e-898d-da0b913244e8.jpg

Finally, I placed the cell in a Ziploc bag like the others. Most folks just put the nuts in medium directly in the Ziploc bag but I decided to put it in an 18 and then the 18 in the bag. I did this for several reasons. First, as the nut produces roots I won't have to disturb them when removing it from the bag and transplanting it. There should be no tap root to prune but the 18 should prune laterals. Second, to ensure very high humidity in the bag, I simply put a little water in the bottom of the bag. Since it drains to the corner below the 18, it has no negative impact on the roots as they form.

With this particular nut, I was unable to identify the two distinct sides of the nut for inserting the scion. Other than that possible issue, I'm expecting this one to work.

I'll take a picture of the bags hanging when I get a chance. I also removed the remaining Chinese chestnuts that Wayne sent from the fridge. Since I'm planning to nut graft these rather than grow seedlings, I just dumped them into a ziplock with promix. I'll be cutting off the root radicle anyway once they germinate. As these nuts germinate, I'll update the thread.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
OK Jack,
You've inspired me to give this nut grafting a go!
I have several Chinese nuts Wayne sent me this past fall to play with and a henryi chestnut begging me to graft to them.
Hopefully we'll both have success stories to share.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OK Jack,
You've inspired me to give this nut grafting a go!
I have several Chinese nuts Wayne sent me this past fall to play with and a henryi chestnut begging me to graft to them.
Hopefully we'll both have success stories to share.

Glad to see it! Looking forward to your pictures!

Here is the picture of the nut grafts in cells in Ziploc bags hanging from the lights:

1785a4af-cacc-43d4-ae30-dc2797a825f9.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Nice I like that idea to keep the humidity up. Do you think they need to be in low light conditions to promote them to heal that graft union and try to make roots instead of breaking dormancy too early? Are you going to attempt any inverted radicle grafting?

Nice I like that idea to keep the humidity up. Do you think they need to be in low light conditions to promote them to heal that graft union and try to make roots instead of breaking dormancy too early? Are you going to attempt any inverted radicle grafting?

You could be right. You definitely don't want them in direct sunlight Carl talks about indirect sunlight. I'm experimenting and I certainly could be doing things less than optimally. I'll probably try hanging the next few from lights that are off for a few weeks and then turn them on.

I'm thinking (and could be wrong) is that with a nut graft you don't have the same kind of healing time that you do with a cambium to cambium graft before feeding the scion starts. With regular grafting, I think callusing needs to start before cambium layers join. Nut grafting seems different in that respect to me, but again, I could be wrong.

Time will tell...

Thanks,

Jack

I found one nut today that had formed a root radicle. It was a large round nut, not a typical form. I decided to root graft it. Once again, I had a problem finding the petiole stubs. I did the best I could. This time, I hung the bag from a light that is not turned on. This one is only getting ambient light from the room.

Thanks,

Jack

Three more of Wayne's nuts had root radicles when I checked them today so I got 3 more nut grafts.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,
I checked mine when I got in and none have radicals yet.
They look good, no mold at all, so I added a touch more water to the medium and set them in my garage where I expect they'll come to life soon.
I brought home henryi scions and from a tree I've grown from seed a man in New Jersey sent me several years ago.
They were very large stripped chestnuts whatever they were.

Jack,
I checked mine when I got in and none have radicals yet.
They look good, no mold at all, so I added a touch more water to the medium and set them in my garage where I expect they'll come to life soon.
I brought home henryi scions and from a tree I've grown from seed a man in New Jersey sent me several years ago.
They were very large stripped chestnuts whatever they were.

Interesting. Do you plan to nut graft the henryi scions or plan to graft them to seedlings? I just took the 4 seguins I got from the wildlife group out of my cold room and put them under lights. I'm hoping they will produce a few nuts this year on my deck like the AU bucks did.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm going to make my first attempt at nut grafting. I'd like more henryi chestnuts, but the seed I bought last year was a total bust.
If this pans out I should be able to have quite a few.
Wonder if they'll be Chinese chestnut size trees or henryi size?
They grow much taller.

Did about 30 nut grafts today, half henryi and half the Asian tree I planted 7 years or so ago.
It went well, I think at least. Have them in bags on my counter waiting on root growth now!
20170210_111519.jpeg

Good deal Merle! Mine still show not signs of life but it is still early. I had difficulty seeing the petiole stubs so I'm not sure I got the scions in the right place. Did you have any trouble with this?

Thanks,

Jack

Good deal Merle! Mine still show not signs of life but it is still early. I had difficulty seeing the petiole stubs so I'm not sure I got the scions in the right place. Did you have any trouble with this?

Thanks,

Jack
Yes. I cut them and placed them down on plastic wrap and after a while it seemed like I had a line to follow.
If that wasn't the correct place to insert the scion I'm going to have a lot of failed grafts, but only one way to learn.
I feel pretty good about them this far so hopefully my peat vermiculite mix is the correct moisture. I had to guess at what a little more wet than normal was.