All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Now or Later

Steven Tolly

5 year old buck +
I am struggling with this deer. Lots of points, but his mass makes him look small to me. Any thoughts? He is a homebody and I think this weekend is a great weekend to go after him with the cold front we have coming to Iowa.

Attachments

• MFDC4836.jpg
    MFDC4836.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 131
  • MFDC4837.jpg
    MFDC4837.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 124
  • MFDC4852.jpg
    MFDC4852.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 111
I bet he is at least 4.5

Needs an arrow.

Agree, mature buck. Probably never going to have a large framed rack, but maybe it can get a little more wild looking. Probably needs to be shot by either you or someone else. Might be easier said than done!

My neighbors would dictate how I handled that deer. If he’s 4 and can live he will put some more growth on in the next few years.

If he doesn’t live, it doesn’t matter.
and he's a good deer now, probably better than he looks on a trail cam.

Only you can decide :). Roll the dice or loose the arrow. Just dont have regrets on either decision. I find it part of the fun....

I guess it depends on what else you are seeing on your cams. But in my book, he is ready now!

I'm saying 3.5 An older deers neck would come into his brisket lower. For me it would be a pass and hope that he makes it through. Two of my uncles would shoot it and one of the neighbors would shoot it. There is also youth on two properties by me that would shoot it. If you shoot it it has a 100% chance of not getting any older/bigger. Do what ever makes you happy. You still need to see it from stand within range before making your decision. It's easy to get nice bucks on trail cam, harvesting them is all together different.

If you have reasonable chance of him surviving to hunt him next year then pass him if he doesn't do it for you this year. If history tells you that you have little chance of ever seeing him again....give him the shaft! Nice buck either way.... seeing them on camera is far different than seeing them while hunting....so it may not matter.

Tough call in Iowa. But I’d take him on my farm?

Depends what else you have for bucks.

It will make sausage!

Looks like a mature deer.

Personally, I would not give up a season of hunting a great deer just to hope he grows a bigger rack. If that deer was hanging around my place, I would be obsessively planning my hunts when I wasn't actually hunting him.

My neighbors would dictate how I handled that deer. If he’s 4 and can live he will put some more growth on in the next few years.

If he doesn’t live, it doesn’t matter.
and he's a good deer now, probably better than he looks on a trail cam.

Only you can decide :). Roll the dice or loose the arrow. Just dont have regrets on either decision. I find it part of the fun....

On a homeboy, I roll the dice!

Shooter!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Well with the cold this weekend I am hoping to at least see him in person. He has been working an acorn line on the edge of one of my fields/plots before dark a few times over the last week so I am hoping he shows. You have to love cell cameras to help you know when to go after a certain deer.

Well with the cold this weekend I am hoping to at least see him in person. He has been working an acorn line on the edge of one of my fields/plots before dark a few times over the last week so I am hoping he shows. You have to love cell cameras to help you know when to go after a certain deer.
Well good luck with him and let us know how it goes, maybe with a picture after the harvest.

Did you see him?

I did see him. Working a timber edge about 200 yards away, but he was there. Pictures still rolling in of him and a couple more, but most after dark. Just a waiting game, going to keep picking away from the outside and let him come to me. At least until november or next cold front.