Getting Paid to Plot!

M

MoBuckChaser

One of our Missouri farmers forgot to plant this 2 acre field at one of our farms. It is almost a mile off the road and hard to get to with equipment because the corn is so tall in the other field. So we decided to spray the piss out of it with roundup because the weeds were 3' tall and seed some radish seed a 1/2 hour later. We just broadcast on top of the ground and let the weeds die around the seed, no rolling no packing! Got a good rain a week later and it is starting to come up pretty good. We went in today and broadcast some urea and will pray for some rain the next few days.

And we now call this the $400 plot, because that is how much the farmer paid me in rent on this new plot!
icon_e_wink.gif

DSCN0956.JPG DSCN0957.JPG DSCN0958.JPG

That's something like finding a diamond in the street.

Germination looks very good

You come out smelling like a rose on that one MO.

The farmer was embarrassed he missed that little field when I called him and told him about it. He lives 140 miles away up in nw IA, so he wasn't coming back until this fall. I told him I would spray it and throw a cover crop down, (for him of course), so he said to let him know what he owed me for it. So he actually wanted to pay me for knocking the weeds down and seeding it in. But I figured the $400 in rent was good as it was! LOL

The farmer was embarrassed he missed that little field when I called him and told him about it. He lives 140 miles away up in nw IA, so he wasn't coming back until this fall. I told him I would spray it and throw a cover crop down, (for him of course), so he said to let him know what he owed me for it. So he actually wanted to pay me for knocking the weeds down and seeding it in. But I figured the $400 in rent was good as it was! LOL

MO, you are nice guy...could have got paid twice to create that plot but you took the high road.

That is doing really good. Cant beat a deal like that.

Radishes look good, Mo. Great solution too.

You would not think a plot could go from this to this in 2 weeks. Man what a stand of Radish! We have split applied 250lbs per acre of Urea(46-0-0) and 150lbs per acre of Triple 17, (17-17-17) on this plot! Farm these plots like the farmers farm for a crop!
DSCN0956.JPG DSCN0964.JPG

You would not think a plot could go from this to this in 2 weeks. Man what a stand of Radish! We have split applied 250lbs per acre of Urea(46-0-0) and 150lbs per acre of Triple 17, (17-17-17) on this plot! Farm these plots like the farmers farm for a crop!
View attachment 10476 View attachment 10477

These are the kind of posts that I like to see. Tell me what you did and then show me the results. When you say "split applied" I assume that means you applied the fertilizer at two different times is that correct? Was it at planting and then when you made the original post?

I have a hard time spending $100+ an acre on fertilizer for deer. But I also have a hard time getting a solid crop of brassicas. Coincidence? Probably not.

I have a hard time spending $100+ an acre on fertilizer for deer. But I also have a hard time getting a solid crop of brassicas. Coincidence? Probably not.

That is one of the problems with food plotters I sell to on a daily basis, they never want to spend any money but want perfect results. It don't work that way for the most part. Why I said you have to farm it like the farmers do.

But doing what I did in this plot requires a good weed kill, some good rain to pound the seed into the dirt, and then some timely rain to soak in the fertilizer. And I got just that!

They will spend $100K on 80 acres, and not $200 on a food plot, makes 0 sense to me! Oh well!

These are the kind of posts that I like to see. Tell me what you did and then show me the results. When you say "split applied" I assume that means you applied the fertilizer at two different times is that correct? Was it at planting and then when you made the original post?

So you like pictures with no thesis? Funny, me too!

We Sprayed with Glyphosate and seeded a half hour later. Came back ten days later to check for germination. Saw we had plants growing, and applied 100 lbs of urea and 150lbs of triple 17. Then came back 2 weeks later seen we had a great crop coming and applied 150lbs per acre more of urea. Now if we can catch some more rain this week, it should be incredible!

We will now stay out of there until the rut!

Last time I did this very thing, we had bucks out chasing doe's at mid day during the Rut! And that is what I want to see again!

Gotta love that video. Planting me some radish today!LOL

Nice plot. Seeding rate looks really good Mo.

I love how our brassica overseeded into our beans responded to our urea app.

Here is me out applying the urea in the rain. It was a good shot rain and urea and I wasnt gonna lay in bed and let it pass. A few of these patched in on July 6th where beans had emergence issues. The rest was seeded two weeks later.

MFDC8218.JPG

The next day after I spread the urea.

MFDC8229.JPG

And the growth after ten days and 100+ # of N that got immediately incorporated.

MFDC8303.JPG

As Homer Simpson would say, Doooh.

You shouldn't have told him. Next year he will plant that field first and you could have got paid again. :)

As Homer Simpson would say, Doooh.

You shouldn't have told him. Next year he will plant that field first and you could have got paid again. :)

Would you want to fold in a 24 row planter and fold it back open to do a 2 acre field in the middle of the night? He may never plant that field.......

Access is tight getting in there.

The doe's and fawn's are using the new $400 plot, cant wait for the bucks to find it!