Fuji vs Yellow Delicious

DrewMc

A good 3 year old buck
Which would you prefer for deer in SW PA?

From a disease resistance standpoint, I haven't planted either. Susceptible to scab, fireblight, and cedar/juniper rusts. I'd choose something else with better disease resistance.

If those were my only choice...I'd probably go with golden delicious. There are a lot of Fuji sports/strains that vary in ripening time. I'd pick the GD to be more sure I'd have apples into archery season. An early Fuji strain might have dropped by the end of September.

What criteria do you value?

From a disease resistance standpoint, I haven't planted either. Susceptible to scab, fireblight, and cedar/juniper rusts. I'd choose something else with better disease resistance.

If those were my only choice...I'd probably go with golden delicious. There are a lot of Fuji sports/strains that vary in ripening time. I'd pick the GD to be more sure I'd have apples into archery season. An early Fuji strain might have dropped by the end of September.

What criteria do you value?

that’s all that’s left at my local store. I didn’t realize both were susceptible to disease. I might just hold off until Spring. I like the late droppers to keep some deer around into hunting season.

I would order from a nursery and get disease resistant trees that will drop when you want them. Enterprise and arkansas black are late and disease resistant. Have heard good things about Galarina, also Freedom and Liberty are no-brainers for most places due to phenomenal disease resistance and drop time during bow season. Goldrush is another late dropper that can get cedar apple rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you wait until spring to order you will probably be out of luck in finding trees.

A late falling apple. My SunFuji is that. I don't know about Yellow D.

I agree, look for some good DR varieties with drop times that you like.
Hard to go wrong with Arkansas Black, Enterprise, Liberty, Franklin, Galerina and a lot of the crabs.
Get your order in this fall for next spring on the rootstock that fits your area best.

When I first started planting apple trees I planted a few types just because they were available like Fuji and Yellow Delicious. I luckily haven’t had any issues with them and I have the space but if I were strictly looking for wildlife apples I wouldn’t have chosen them.