Fuel gallons per acre?

Duh! lol......not sure why I didn't think of that. Grin. Suggested additive? while were on the topic?

Driving your interior trail is off the table.
In your area, I'd just buy Fieldmaster at your local cenex. It's already in the fuel. That's a good and complete additive, and you don't need to do any mixing yourself.

#1 Diesel in the winter for me. I've used treated #2 diesel and still gelled up. I use way more diesel in a typical winter moving snow than I do the rest of the year. I've gelled it up a couple times and its no fun. I end up taking the filters off and filling them with 911 in the heated garage for a day before I can put them back on. Then I end up having to crack an injector line to get fuel flowing again before it will start back up. Oh, and of course, its -30f or so out before the windchill.

I've since built a heated shop. Still use straight #1 in the winter though.
Interesting. I have never used any fuel other than the off road treated fuel I get at my local BP station. I didn't this winter, but I generally do a lot of snow removal here (Upper Michigan - Zone 4a) with my tractor and I have never had any issues with the fuel turning to gel, although I do store it in my unheated, but fully insulated barn, and I let her warm up before plowing - maybe that makes the difference. My barn never gets below 35-38 degrees or so even without heat.

Interesting. I have never used any fuel other than the off road treated fuel I get at my local BP station. I didn't this winter, but I generally do a lot of snow removal here (Upper Michigan - Zone 4a) with my tractor and I have never had any issues with the fuel turning to gel, although I do store it in my unheated, but fully insulated barn, and I let her warm up before plowing - maybe that makes the difference. My barn never gets below 35-38 degrees or so even without heat.
^. WOW in zone 4? I got some days at 20 below and more. Sometimes lasts for a week or so.......but......I am in OZ. Grin.

If you buy off road diesel in the winter from your local gas station, do they treat it for winter fuel? Or is it the same year around?

I'm not up north, so I haven't dealt with additives. We have a tank for off-road diesel with an electric pump. When it gets down to about 9" or less, we call the local coop for a refill. Consequently, I just fill up before heading to the field so I don't keep track of gal/ac.

Thanks,

Jack

^. WOW in zone 4? I got some days at 20 below and more. Sometimes lasts for a week or so.......but......I am in OZ. Grin.
Yes - We hit 20 below every winter and sometimes as low 35 below actual. The insulation in my barn keeps it incredibly warm for not having a heat source. The man cave in the barn does have an electric milk house heater to keep it at least 45-50 and then a wood stove when we want to warm it up but not much of that heat gets to the main part of the barn. I only have one window in the main barn. If I set a bottle of water on the window sill it would freeze, but I keep a bottle of water on a shelf in the interior of the barn and it never even gets any slush in it. Snow and ice usually melt off of my truck and my wife's car overnight.

6" of insulation in the walls and probably 14-15" over the ceiling makes all the difference in the world....cool in summer - warm in winter.
IMG_3669.jpeg

If you buy off road diesel in the winter from your local gas station, do they treat it for winter fuel? Or is it the same year around?
It is my understanding that it is treated. As I mentioned earlier, I do not treat my diesel fuel and I have never had any fuel issues.

It is my understanding that it is treated. As I mentioned earlier, I do not treat my diesel fuel and I have never had any fuel issues.
We can’t even buy #2 diesel in the winter here. It all switched over to #1 at some point in the fall. Off-road or not.

We can’t even buy #2 diesel in the winter here. It all switched over to #1 at some point in the fall. Off-road or not.
I did go into town today to gas up and get some diesel fuel. I asked the guy at the counter about whether or not the Off-Road fuel was treated in the winter months and he didn't know. He did give me the name of the day shift manager and phone number so I can call tomorrow and find out. Will let you know then.

It was a costly trip though...$48 for 10 gallons of diesel and 41 gallons to fill 3 - 5 gallon jugs and fill up my truck - $175 more...Ouch!

IMG_9002.jpg

Yes - We hit 20 below every winter and sometimes as low 35 below actual. The insulation in my barn keeps it incredibly warm for not having a heat source. The man cave in the barn does have an electric milk house heater to keep it at least 45-50 and then a wood stove when we want to warm it up but not much of that heat gets to the main part of the barn. I only have one window in the main barn. If I set a bottle of water on the window sill it would freeze, but I keep a bottle of water on a shelf in the interior of the barn and it never even gets any slush in it. Snow and ice usually melt off of my truck and my wife's car overnight.

6" of insulation in the walls and probably 14-15" over the ceiling makes all the difference in the world....cool in summer - warm in winter.
View attachment 45311
Typical snowfall in your area of the U.P.? Heavy snows that arrive early and hang out all winter help to insulate the ground and make -20 to -40 temps a bit easier to deal with.
Northern/north central MN get plenty of snow, but there's no comparison to the Lake Superior snowbelt.

^ Not real sure at what temp winter blend is needed. Maybe at -10 or so? I'm in OZ by then.....and do not use my tractor until the tundra warms up a bit. Grin. Seen 18 wheelers that had come up from the southern states.....and fuel jelled on them. That is when your gonna get hauled into a warm shop for about two days to get everything unfrozen again. Bad juju.

Decades back, I had a diesel pickup for work. One day per week, another person would use it. The fuel gauge didn’t work and you had to write your mileage down at fill, plus use the right blend for the weather.

The other guy’s sloppy work left me gelled up or out of fuel many times. I hated that pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk