Fuel gallons per acre?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
This year was the first year I finally got my food plotting work down to a single day. I didn't have any construction to do or major amounts of liming. I didn't have any idea how much gas to buy to run that mower for a day, so I just filled up both of my 2.5 gallon cans. I didn't use more than half that first can the whole day. My fuel use this year was under a half gallon per acre. There was a higher level of human horsepower to compensate for some other energy inputs.

I just thought that was interesting.

I've used about 35 gallons of diesel for my efforts so far. Clearing land, grinding stumps, mowing, seed drill, moving stands, etc. Likely use another 20 gallons or so this year. Just filled my barrel a week ago. Good to go until later next summer. So.....about 55 gallons / year. My tractor uses about .8 gallons per hour. $250 for the year? I'd hate to pay large farmer fuel bills.

I have burned up about 20 gallons of diesel since I bought my tractor the beginning of June, doing various chores, driveway, firewood, food plotting, etc.. I have about 40 hours on it so far. No idea what I actually used per acre, but it wouldnt be much.

I used to think a tractor wasnt needed, and everyone telling me I should get one was nuts, because my 4 wheeler, and other equipment I already had worked, or I made work. Now that I have a tractor, I use it a couple times a day for about everything. I couldnt imagine not owning one now that I have one. Best money I ever spent. What use to take a weekend, of busting my butt, and over working my equipment, takes an hour or 2.

I keep 2-5 gal cans of diesel on hand, 2-5 gal gas cans, & 1-1 gal gas/oil mix on hand. I can go through a tank of diesel in a day on my tractor when working.

I have burned up about 20 gallons of diesel since I bought my tractor the beginning of June, doing various chores, driveway, firewood, food plotting, etc.. I have about 40 hours on it so far. No idea what I actually used per acre, but it wouldnt be much.

I used to think a tractor wasnt needed, and everyone telling me I should get one was nuts, because my 4 wheeler, and other equipment I already had worked, or I made work. Now that I have a tractor, I use it a couple times a day for about everything. I couldnt imagine not owning one now that I have one. Best money I ever spent. What use to take a weekend, of busting my butt, and over working my equipment, takes an hour or 2.
The thing about owning a tractor is......they really do not depreciate. You get to use it for many years.....and will get your investment back if you take care of it. Still....there is a cost of possession....insurance, fuel, loss of investment income, repairs and so on. Same goes for machinery.....if you buy it right (used) and take care of it. I own allot of stuff.....maybe 15+ implements.....and could get my money back at any time on this stuff. Meanwhile - FUN! (and productive - I'm getting too damn old do do this stuff via hand labor).

I use about 200 gal diesel a year. And a couple of these $1000 slip ups. Plus annual service. Attachments are pretty much cost free after initial purchse.

D9D4F72E-F587-4B58-8781-61136A171DCB.jpeg

My tractor was delivered in May with a full tank. I've dumped one 5 gallon can of diesel in it so far. As I put it away last night it said something like 28 hours on the clock and 1/8 tank of fuel left. So fuel costs haven't crossed my mind yet.

I use about 200 gal diesel a year. And a couple of these $1000 slip ups. Plus annual service. Attachments are pretty much cost free after initial purchse.
I have been fortunate with slip ups so far, but I am coming up on my first 50 hour maintenance service. This weekend I will probably put it over 50 hours, cooler weather, and not really any big plans, so I will be cutting firewood, and splitting it. But I still want a bunch more attachments, so I am sure I will be spending a bunch more on equipment.

40 gallons so far this season. About half was with the 70hp 3020 mowing, spraying and NT planting 10 acres of NWSG at about 4/gallons hr, and about 20 gallons on the 25 hp 3025 rotary cutting and taking out 120' of old blacktop driveway at about 1.5/gallons hr. I anticipate using 55 gallons this year. My last gas run (for the zero turn and side-by-side was over $100). Sure glad to see the prices heading downward slightly.

just a reminder to anyone new to diesel fuel
there is a summer and winter blend, so those that live in below freezing area, if you don;t use much fuel and have summer blend in tank, its worth adding some additive to it , if it will get used in the winter time
can save you some head aches down the road! and if you DON"T use a lot of diesel fuel buy only a small container of additive, s it too can go bad over time,
so no point in buying a big can of it!

^ Not real sure at what temp winter blend is needed. Maybe at -10 or so? I'm in OZ by then.....and do not use my tractor until the tundra warms up a bit. Grin. Seen 18 wheelers that had come up from the southern states.....and fuel jelled on them. That is when your gonna get hauled into a warm shop for about two days to get everything unfrozen again. Bad juju.

^ Not real sure at what temp winter blend is needed. Maybe at -10 or so? I'm in OZ by then.....and do not use my tractor until the tundra warms up a bit. Grin. Seen 18 wheelers that had come up from the southern states.....and fuel jelled on them. That is when your gonna get hauled into a warm shop for about two days to get everything unfrozen again. Bad juju.
pretty much as soon as you start to get close to freezing temps, it can be needed
the same goes for early fuel filter changes too IMO and I keep extra 's on hand!
I replace mine just before every winter
many of mine get used for plowing snow, so, it has been worth the added costs to replace then this way!

I've had a diesel tractor for about 15 years now.....and I've never had a fuel problem (knock on wood) and have never bought a winter blend that I am aware of. I do have some Diesel 911 additive on the shelf.....just in case. I suppose in the past I ran my tractor down in the single digit temps. <---- Living life in the fast lane.

Two years ago.....I bought a clean 55 gallon drum from the oil jobber, a rotary pump with good filter, a steel caster cart for the barrel, and a decent lift strap / harness to lift the barrel with my forks. Now, I fill the barrel each summer and seem to have adequate fuel on hand at all times. Much nicer than toting 5 gallon cans.....and it only requires 70 rotations to fill my tank. More than enough fuel to do a days work. I likely have $175 or so invested in this kit. I really am happy with the fuel filling method.

One station nearby has an "off-road" diesel fuel pump at the station......and I think I save about .25 / gallon due to tax. It all helps. F'n Biden.

Last edited:
I have a John Deere 5400 - 68 HP diesel. I don't figure costs per acre but I have calculated fuel costs per hour. I have cut my tractor hours in half or less since going 100% no-till 7 years ago and now average about 100 hours per year on it (I also use it for snow removal but spent nearly 2 months in FL/CA last winter).

In the past year I have purchased 55 gallons of diesel fuel so I am averaging about 1/2 gallon per hour of operation.

Gas stations up here treat diesel fuel seasonally so I don't have to worry about treating it myself, although I do add a pint of Sea Foam to the fuel tank once per year. My fuel never gets very stale as I still purchase it 10 gallons at a time in 5 gallon jugs.

Last edited:
I've had a diesel tractor for about 15 years now.....and I've never had a fuel problem (knock on wood) and have never bought a winter blend that I am aware of. I do have some Diesel 911 additive on the shelf.....just in case. I suppose in the past I ran my tractor down in the single digit temps. <---- Living life in the fast lane.

Two years ago.....I bought a clean 55 gallon drum from the oil jobber, a rotary pump with good filter, a steel caster cart for the barrel, and a decent lift strap / harness to lift the barrel with my forks. Now, I fill the barrel each summer and seem to have adequate fuel on hand at all times. Much nicer than toting 5 gallon cans.....and it only requires 70 rotations to fill my tank. More than enough fuel to do a days work. I likely have $175 or so invested in this kit. I really am happy with the fuel filling method.

One station nearby has an "off-road" diesel fuel pump at the station......and I think I save about .25 / gallon due to tax. It all helps. F'n Biden.
A good anti-gel doesn't cost very much per gallon. If a person is gonna hold fuel potentially for a full calendar cycle, I'd just put anti-gel in when you fill your barrel. Can't be more than ten cents a gallon to treat and should protect you down to 5 degrees (give or take depending on where the fuel came from), then you don't have to ever fart around with #1 or poor power in the winter. If you never run it cold, no problem. If the need arises, you'll be glad you put the $5 into it.

A good anti-gel doesn't cost very much per gallon. If a person is gonna hold fuel potentially for a full calendar cycle, I'd just put anti-gel in when you fill your barrel. Can't be more than ten cents a gallon to treat and should protect you down to 5 degrees (give or take depending on where the fuel came from), then you don't have to ever fart around with #1 or poor power in the winter. If you never run it cold, no problem. If the need arises, you'll be glad you put the $5 into it.
Probably should keep some additive around. I just filled my barrel the other day and never gave it a thought. If I were to use the anti-gel additive now......does would it need to be blended? .......or will it do so itself?? Might be too late for me this year.......but I do not anticipate any real cold weather operation.

Probably should keep some additive around. I just filled my barrel the other day and never gave it a thought. If I were to use the anti-gel additive now......does would it need to be blended? .......or will it do so itself?? Might be too late for me this year.......but I do not anticipate any real cold weather operation.
Add it to the tractor, then fill when you when you fuel it up for the last time this season. Next year, do it in the barrel. Or, dump it in your fuel storage, put your drum in the tractor bucket, and then come drive my interior trails at 5 mph. That'll get it agitated.

Now, should we tear into the issue of premium diesel additive vs plain #2?

Add it to the tractor, then fill when you when you fuel it up for the last time this season. Next year, do it in the barrel. Or, dump it in your fuel storage, put your drum in the tractor bucket, and then come drive my interior trails at 5 mph. That'll get it agitated.

Now, should we tear into the issue of premium diesel additive vs plain #2?
Duh! lol......not sure why I didn't think of that. Grin. Suggested additive? while were on the topic?

Driving your interior trail is off the table.

#1 Diesel in the winter for me. I've used treated #2 diesel and still gelled up. I use way more diesel in a typical winter moving snow than I do the rest of the year. I've gelled it up a couple times and its no fun. I end up taking the filters off and filling them with 911 in the heated garage for a day before I can put them back on. Then I end up having to crack an injector line to get fuel flowing again before it will start back up. Oh, and of course, its -30f or so out before the windchill.

I've since built a heated shop. Still use straight #1 in the winter though.