Fruit Tree Guide

Goldrush IS susceptible to CAR, but resists the other major apple diseases. For CAR to be spread, it needs an alternate "host plant" - a member of the juniper family to serve as a "host" or "nursery" for spores. Red cedar is actually a juniper - despite the name - so if you have red cedars or junipers around where you have apples planted, CAR is likely to show up.

As an example - I have a Profusion crab apple tree in my yard. It never had CAR on it until neighbors planted a row of junipers along their driveway. The year after they planted their junipers - I had CAR show up on my crab apple tree.

Merle -
Goldrush is a great eater, isn't it??!! Goldrush and Crimson Topaz are my favorite eaters. Crimson Topaz is very similar to Goldrush in taste - sweet, but with a nice tartness to it. Tangy. They're both late apples - but that's OK with me - worth the wait!!

EDIT: Thanks TC for the extra names of bulletproof varieties!! My camp is lucky to have NO junipers or red cedar around us for MILES - so no CAR problems really - at least at camp. Here at my home - I'd have to spray for CAR.

We have some wicked thick Red Cedar stands a few hundred yards away from the apple trees (and red cedars and junipers in all directions generally). Not good for the apples, but great deer cover. We have a place in the Adirondacks that is CAR host free... looking forward to trying a broader range of 'spray free' varieties up there. If you aren't worried about CAR, it seems the list can be quite a bit longer.

Merle -
Goldrush is a great eater, isn't it??!! Goldrush and Crimson Topaz are my favorite eaters. Crimson Topaz is very similar to Goldrush in taste - sweet, but with a nice tartness to it. Tangy. They're both late apples - but that's OK with me - worth the wait!!

Yes! Definitely going to keep it sprayed if just for our personal use.
Deer have plenty of others to choose from.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I have looked off and on for organic amendments to add to the soil at the time of planting for bare root fruit trees on here, and Googling it online. It seems a topic similar to Beekeeping where one swears to do it this way and the next one says never to do it that way. I have the soil sample in the box and dropping it off for a soil test tonight after work, my last soil test was 15 years ago and the results were lost in a fire. I only recall the PH was 5.5 and my soil naturally were very low in P and K so my question is:

Does it hurt a bare root fruit tree if I add Lime and other organic amendments like Bone Meal, Potash or Greensand to the dirt prior to back filling?

My soil sucks, everything I have planted grows very slowly, that has improved some just by surface broadcasting triple 19 on established plantings in the spring. Everything I read says the best way to use most fertilizers is to mix it in the soil since the P & K aren't mobile in the soil except Nitrogen that moves through the soil well. I only want to add P&K things because of the risk of burning new roots with N and despite looking for 0-20-20 we don't have anyone locally that carries it. My Blue Hill Pears and Persimmons will be here in a couple weeks and want to give them a good start but also not screw this up :)

Last edited:
I have looked off and on for organic amendments to add to the soil at the time of planting for bare root fruit trees on here, and Googling it online. It seems a topic similar to Beekeeping where one swears to do it this way and the next one says never to do it that way. I have the soil sample in the box and dropping it off for a soil test tonight after work, my last soil test was 15 years ago and the results were lost in a fire. I only recall the PH was 5.5 and my soil naturally were very low in P and K so my question is:

Does it hurt a bare root fruit tree if I add Lime and other organic amendments like Bone Meal or Greensand to the dirt prior to back filling?

My soil sucks, everything I have planted grows very slowly, that has improved some just by surface broadcasting triple 19 on established plantings in the spring. Everything I read says the best way to use most fertilizers is to mix it in the soil since the P & K aren't mobile in the soil except Nitrogen that moves through the soil well. I only want to add P&K things because of the risk of burning new roots with N and despite looking for 0-20-20 we don't have anyone locally that carries it. My Blue Hill Pears and Persimmons will be here in a couple weeks and want to give them a good start but also not screw this up :)
Blue Hill sells a 2 or 3lb bag of P&K fertilizer to mix in the soil at planting time. I think it is enough to plant 8 or 12 trees if I remember correctly. I have always mixed wood ashes into my soil at planting time. Wood ashes contain P&K but very small amounts.

Blue Hill sells a 2 or 3lb bag of P&K fertilizer to mix in the soil at planting time
Ryan has been out of that fertilizer since last year, I keep checking back but it always says sold out.

I do have a few thousand individually wrapped tree-prep tablets that are just for this purpose I will likely use. I just got frustrated looking online for any clear information on this. I found an article from Oregon State University that says --> "Nitrogen or other macronutrients should be applied in the second year. Research indicates that applying fertilizers in August or early September maximizes nutrient uptake and is more efficient than late winter fertilization. Early season fertilization is often leached. Late summer to fall fertilization at the time of your last irrigation is taken more directly into the tree, helping to make healthy buds, spurs and shoots for the coming year without stimulating late growth."

That goes against the grain of everything else I have read regarding when to fertilize trees.

Ryan has been out of that fertilizer since last year, I keep checking back but it always says sold out.

I do have a few thousand individually wrapped tree-prep tablets that are just for this purpose I will likely use. I just got frustrated looking online for any clear information on this. I found an article from Oregon State University that says --> "Nitrogen or other macronutrients should be applied in the second year. Research indicates that applying fertilizers in August or early September maximizes nutrient uptake and is more efficient than late winter fertilization. Early season fertilization is often leached. Late summer to fall fertilization at the time of your last irrigation is taken more directly into the tree, helping to make healthy buds, spurs and shoots for the coming year without stimulating late growth."

That goes against the grain of everything else I have read regarding when to fertilize trees.

Is that in general, or specific to Oregon's climate?

Is that in general, or specific to Oregon's climate?
That is a good question, I don't see anywhere in that section or in the header that says it only pertains to their part of the country. In fact the only part they talk about their specific area is in general what soils in Oregon are both lacking and have excess of. Since it refers to "research indicates that applying fertilizers in August or early September" I clicked around to see what research they were speaking about but didn't find anything.

I will look a little more today if things slow down.

So I googled "research indicates that applying fertilizers in August or early September" and found this article which says the same thing in a few different areas.
"Pecan trees loaded with nuts can benefit from a fertilizing with nitrogen in August"
And "Late August and September are good times to fertilize many plants to ready them for better fall growing conditions and prepare plants for winter."

And this one is based out of California but also states "Research indicates that summer fertilizer applications (August to mid-September) are more efficient than late winter (traditional) applications".

I will Google it a few different ways but I would like to see the actual research before I change my thoughts on it.

Pecan growing areas and California have very different climates to the Midwest. I would definitely try to find more info on the research they mention.

Here are some opinions on KinderKrisp from a very experienced person in Alberta. I found it interesting and wanted to share it. My KK has survived very brief periods of -42F. One of the Canadian’s comments is that it is 1/2 of a zone hardier than Honeycrisp. Canadian zones are measured a bit differently than our zones.

KK was developed by a small orchard it central Minnesota. On my place, it has not been a heavy producer, but reasonable amounts of fruit are produced.

I do have some young, open pollinated seedlings of KK that have not produced yet.DCF46D9A-49DF-4F62-ADAF-D43443E4E0D8.png

Here are some opinions on KinderKrisp from a very experienced person in Alberta. I found it interesting and wanted to share it. My KK has survived very brief periods of -42F. One of the Canadian’s comments is that it is 1/2 of a zone hardier than Honeycrisp. Canadian zones are measured a bit differently than our zones.

KK was developed by a small orchard it central Minnesota. On my place, it has not been a heavy producer, but reasonable amounts of fruit are produced.

I do have some young, open pollinated seedlings of KK that have not produced yet.View attachment 50177

Attachments

• 21F53316-CEB4-4FEE-8693-6615D1C458FC.png
    21F53316-CEB4-4FEE-8693-6615D1C458FC.png
    525.9 KB · Views: 13
What Telemark said ... "Pecan growing areas and California have very different climates to the Midwest. I would definitely try to find more info on the research they mention."

I do have some young, open pollinated seedlings of KK that have not produced yet.View attachment 50177

I admit I didn’t read the entire thread. Sandbur, are you the tree grower in central Minnesota they talk about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk