Frost seed switchgrass into winter rye?

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
Has anyone done this successfully? Just not sure about the alleopathic factor as to whether this will work or not, so looking to see if anyone has tried it.

Ive asked the same question before and I dont think anyone has followed through with it. In theory, I think it should work. What seems the best is the WR would grow strong in the early cool season. About the time it got hot and the switch was going to pack it on, the WR would basically be dryed up. It seems like a win-win to me... but I guess theres only one way to find out.

Talk to ya in about 3 years.... :)

Seedling switchgrass usually does not like competition, so that may be detrimental, but I have not tried frost seeding into established rye myself, so that is strictly conjecture on my end.

Im with Wisc on this. When I drilled mine....I busted hump to ensure it had as little competition as possible. I don't think it will germinate until the ground temperature gets good and warm enough and by that time the rye could be waist high. That creates a lot of shade. I think that is how is can fight off some weeds is because it wakes up so early and gets ahead of everything else. Then if you mow the rye to run the risk of smothering the switchgrass....and you can't spray because they are both gasses. I agree that the rye could be dying just as the switch could be coming on......OR it may wait until this happens to even really do much at all! Oh....and if it does germinate is grows ......SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW the first year. So again giving it every fighting chance is about the best thing you can do for it. Get it beyond the establishment year and help it the second and your golden after that....establishment is the struggle.

The plan would be to kill the rye in spring before the switch germinates, just didn’t know if the germination would be affected I guess

When I did mine I burned it down w gly, mowed it tight, but sprayed atrazine and had the switchgrass seed drilled in may. I went with Kanlow. It came in wonderful and on year 4 now...it is crazy thick and avg 6-7 feet tall. I thought about planting with oats or something else, but all in all, something else is indeed a 'weed' and will compete with the switch. I think the Atrazine is the key....pre-emergent that will keep seeds from even germinating and way less competition.