First Post / Switchgrass Frost Seeding

SnowWaterWhitetails

Yearling... With promise
Hello all,

Happy 2024! First time post-er.

Quick question. Has anyone had any success frost seeding switchgrass into Egyptian wheat stubble? I have chopped the Egyptian wheat down and there is a clean seed bed underneath so the seed should get good seed to soil contact.

I have never seeded switchgrass before so looking for any pointers. I purchased some Simazine for spring green-up.

Thanks!

If the seed can get to the soil I see no reason why it wouldn't work. If the clippings formed a mat then it would be less ideal.

Make sure there is snow on the ground. As snow melts, it will move seed towards soil. Snow also allows you to visually monitor your seeding rate & dispersal.

I hand seeded 15 acres of SG into existing wheat, alfalfa, and weeds and it worked well.

As noted above, if you have a thick layer of EW covering soil, you may need to disc first.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Happy 2024! First time post-er.

Quick question. Has anyone had any success frost seeding switchgrass into Egyptian wheat stubble? I have chopped the Egyptian wheat down and there is a clean seed bed underneath so the seed should get good seed to soil contact.

I have never seeded switchgrass before so looking for any pointers. I purchased some Simazine for spring green-up.

Thanks!
Will work great. Need to spray 2quarts/acre gly and 2-4quarts/acre of Simazine after green up. Switch won’t grow for a few months so safe for a month after green up. If you do this it will do great.

If not you will be disappointed imo.

Recommend the new variety, RC Big Rock. I drilled some in June 2023 and it was 3’ tall by September! This summer, will be drilling it in all the spots we had been using EW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recommend the new variety, RC Big Rock. I drilled some in June 2023 and it was 3’ tall by September! This summer, will be drilling it in all the spots we had been using EW.

Great stuff. Good luck. My drilled switch comes up quicker but it all seems to equal out in year 2.

I actually use imazapic for switch and it does fine if you plant at higher rate

I bought the RC Big Rock from Northwoods Whitetail. Expensive seed so that’s why I’m doing my due diligence. Should grow great though. Soil PH is perfect and free of weeds.

It is NOT recommended to spray glyphosate after Greenup when using the RC line. They germinate quicker and cooler temps than traditional switch. Jon has a video about this on his Northwoods Whitetails YouTube channel. Simazine is still ok for use.

It is NOT recommended to spray glyphosate after Greenup when using the RC line. They germinate quicker and cooler temps than traditional switch. Jon has a video about this on his Northwoods Whitetails YouTube channel. Simazine is still ok for use.
Noted. Thanks for the tip, I probably would have sprayed gly and killed off some germination. I’ll check the vid out.

Late to the party but it shouldn't be a problem at to frost seed.

Looks like he just doesn’t like gly sprayed after seed down, not worried about it already germinated. I would have to see actual evidence of switch, any switch, breaking ground any time around green up.
Several places showed germination at 2-3 weeks, but planted in warm ground, tilled, in June.
IMG_3157.png

Last edited:
I have used espresso, fastest germinating variety ever made, and planted in Alabama. Didn’t germinate anywhere near green up.

Please spend 6 minutes watching this video to understand the difference between older varieties and the RC varieties.