Spraying New Frost-seed Switchgrass

Fields@GA

Buck Fawn
First time go at Switchgrass. Understanding this subject has likely been covered numerous times in this forum, I’m lazy and couldn’t find the simple feedback I was looking for. A little over a month ago I frost-seeded about 7 acres of RWWP switchgrass into portions of a 20 acre bean field. My plan was to apply Simazine with my UTV sprayer as soon as the field was dry enough. It never got much better than soggy so I waited. The field is very saturated again and now getting the first early spring green. I fear I waited too long for pre-emergent? Should I mix some glyphosate and Simazine and spray as soon as the field is manageable In the UTV? What is the expected timeframe for the switch to germinate and show itself - and when it does what can I spray to kill its competitors (if so, what chemical)? I’ve heard 2,4-d? Thanks in advance.

Here's my anecdotal experience with established switchgrass - it starts growing super late, so you can whack all the cooler season competitors with glyphosate. Did this last year, and worked great. Something to keep in mind for next year! As for this year... not sure.

Id just go with the glyphosate this year. The key is to wait long enough that the cool season stuff all has time to germinate but the warm season stuff is still dormant.