Switchgrass seed into existing grass

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Purchasing an additional 40 acres this month and want to screen along that fence-line. I've had really good success with a few different stands of switch on my property across the road. Two were seeded into corn/bean stubble, and one was seeded into clover. Frost seeded then sprayed each area twice and think I got lucky each time on my final spray and had great weed free establishment.. Lush thick stands in the first year.

I haven't frost seeded into ground that they are using for hay (pic attached) - land to right of fence. Would I be pushing it trying to frost seed and kill off the current grass, any tried that? I'm guessing it would be harder to establish than my prior scenarios? I don't have a drill, otherwise I think that seems like the best option..?

fanceline.jpg

Purchasing an additional 40 acres this month and want to screen along that fence-line. I've had really good success with a few different stands of switch on my property across the road. Two were seeded into corn/bean stubble, and one was seeded into clover. Frost seeded then sprayed each area twice and think I got lucky each time on my final spray and had great weed free establishment.. Lush thick stands in the first year.

I haven't frost seeded into ground that they are using for hay (pic attached) - land to right of fence. Would I be pushing it trying to frost seed and kill off the current grass, any tried that? I'm guessing it would be harder to establish than my prior scenarios? I don't have a drill, otherwise I think that seems like the best option..?

View attachment 47721
You're asking if you can frost seed into dormant cool season grass, spray the grass and hope that it's dead by the time the switch germinates and emerges?

I think you would really struggle in this scenario. I would honestly just wait because it's probably going to take you two applications to kill most cool season grasses. See if you can rent the drill from the local NRCS office and drill in the summertime or I would even consider waiting until next fall. I think switchgrass seed is expensive enough depending on the size of area that it would be worth it to make sure you do it right the first time. Even if the seeds were to somehow make it down to the soil and germinate, You would still be competing with a grass that is already established. I actually tried to do this on a dyke wall and it failed miserably. I might have gotten a few switch plants to emerge.

I would try to ensure you have the existing grass killed off first. Switchgrass has enough troubles as it is....not being able to spray it because the competition is other grasses is going to really pose an issue in my opinion.

Thank you, I guess my thought was I would seed into it, and it (existing grass) would start growing this spring before the switch and I'd have time to kill it off before the switch germinates. I have enough to keep me busy and will spray it off this year for planting next spring. Tx!

Generally speaking, killing off cool season grases with take at least 2, sometimes 3 sprayings. There is a lot of dormant seed that can emerge after the first kill.

Saw a video a while back with Craig Harper where he mentions killing cool season grasses in fall has something like a 95% success rate. Alternatively killing them in spring only has a 50% success rate. Don't quote me on those numbers but it was close to that.
I think it was on the Hntr podcast where he mentioned that.

Saw a video a while back with Craig Harper where he mentions killing cool season grasses in fall has something like a 95% success rate. Alternatively killing them in spring only has a 50% success rate. Don't quote me on those numbers but it was close to that.
I think it was on the Hntr podcast where he mentioned that.
Generally speaking, cool season grasses are building their root systems and sending carbohydrates to the crown, stems, or roots. In the spring, it is nearly all going to new tillers and shoots. Percent success rate for killing the cool-season grasses will depend on the rate and timing. Regardless, you will need sequential applications though. I think he is right that the fall is much better than the spring or summer for trying to control them.

Yes you get much better control on cool season grass if you spray in the fall.