Four Pear trees after six year of growth

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
These 4 pear trees have been putting on some amazing vegetative growth. This group of pears is interesting, because so far they have barely fruited at all, but at some point they will explode with fruit - possibly this year. Some others planted at a different location about 300 yards away have been fruiting well for about 3 years, but are probably only around 60% as tall.

I would estimate the trees below at around 20+ feet tall.

Kieffer:

aK1Ch74.jpg

Senator Clark:

IwtbtD9.jpg

Ms. Lanene:

HcxtIPn.jpg

Gate:

zpsIl3b.jpg

JBttMan.jpg

I’m not a fruit tree guy at this point.

but I’d be mad at those trees for not throwing fruit by now :). You better run the chainsaw next to them and threaten em...

Looks like you have fruiting spurs on all of them. Maybe this is the year.

Yes, I noticed that too. If we don’t get a late freeze I may get a good crop.

What is a fruiting spur?

How do you identify?

Do you see them on all fruit tree varieties?

Thanks,

bill

What is a fruiting spur?

How do you identify?

Do you see them on all fruit tree varieties?

Thanks,

bill

Look for those short little spurs sticking off to the side of the limbs that look like little limbs but never grow long like limbs. You will see flowers appear on these and that is where your fruit will be set. See the pictures in the link below:

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/prune.php

And this might help answer your questions on spur bearing versus tip bearing:

Last edited:
Where did you purchase the trees and what rootstock? Looks like great growth to me

That is impressive! Do you happen to know what rootstock these are on?

Where did you purchase the trees and what rootstock? Looks like great growth to me

That is impressive! Do you happen to know what rootstock these are on?

Thanks guys. The trees came from Wildlife Group and at that time (per a conversation with Allen) they were using only calleryana as rootstock. Since that time, they have started using some OHxF 97 but are still using calleryana as well.

I will say that these trees were put in a very good place with rich soil and good moisture, which has helped the growth. My observations with fruit trees is that I would rather them get big like these did before they start fruiting. When they start fruiting too early, it will stunt the growth somewhat.

PS: This fall I'm going to get some more pear trees from Blue Hill. He has some varieties that I don't already have which sound great. It's hard to go wrong with pears.

Here is one of the pears set at another place on the farm that started fruiting early. You can see that although it is a good tree, it's probably 60% the size of the ones shown above. It will be interesting to see if the ultimate size of the trees is about the same. I would say they eventually will be.

hx9Fy7B.jpg

Nice trees Native! Hopefully you have a nice warm frost free spring and lots of happy bee's so you will be posting pics of those with bent branches late summer!

Really nice looking trees. I see lots of spurs. Frost seems to get mine every year.

Totally agree. I planted my first two kieffers side by side. I was excited when one started fruiting after 4 years and frustrated that the other hadn’t set fruit. Fast forward 3 years and the one that was slow to set fruit is nearly twice as big and will likely be a better and more productive tree in the future.

Thanks guys. The trees came from Wildlife Group and at that time (per a conversation with Allen) they were using only calleryana as rootstock. Since that time, they have started using some OHxF 97 but are still using calleryana as well.

I will say that these trees were put in a very good place with rich soil and good moisture, which has helped the growth. My observations with fruit trees is that I would rather them get big like these did before they start fruiting. When they start fruiting too early, it will stunt the growth somewhat.

PS: This fall I'm going to get some more pear trees from Blue Hill. He has some varieties that I don't already have which sound great. It's hard to go wrong with pears.

Really nice looking trees. I see lots of spurs. Frost seems to get mine every year.

The first four trees shown above are in a low spot and it could be somewhat of a frost pocket. Time will tell, but I think most years they will be okay. A dolgo crab set at the same time as the pears and nearby them fruited heavily last year.

Totally agree. I planted my first two kieffers side by side. I was excited when one started fruiting after 4 years and frustrated that the other hadn’t set fruit. Fast forward 3 years and the one that was slow to set fruit is nearly twice as big and will likely be a better and more productive tree in the future.

I agree, and I also think that it helps a tree if not subjected to fireblight at an early age. It gives them more time to develop a stronger overall state and gain some size. I lost a small apple tree years ago that just happened to start flowering early in a year that fireblight was bad. Since fireblight typically enters through the flowers, it was the perfect storm.

Yes, I noticed that too. If we don’t get a late freeze I may get a good crop.
Something I still cant wrap my brain around is the fact that my pear trees get hit with frost and hard freezes during open flower stage almost every year and they still produce a crop that is so heavy that my trees are self destructing from breaking under the weight of hundreds of pears. Frost and temps in the lower 20s doesnt seem to effect my trees at all (zone 6).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Look for those short little spurs sticking off to the side of the limbs that look like little limbs but never grow long like limbs. You will see flowers appear on these and that is where your fruit will be set. See the pictures in the link below:

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/prune.php

And this might help answer your questions on spur bearing versus tip bearing:

Thanks for the links!

bill

Something I still cant wrap my brain around is the fact that my pear trees get hit with frost and hard freezes during open flower stage almost every year and they still produce a crop that is so heavy that my trees are self destructing from breaking under the weight of hundreds of pears. Frost and temps in the lower 20s doesnt seem to effect my trees at all (zone 6).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Good information Tap.

They are pretty tough indeed. It is uncommon for me to have a complete pear failure, but I have seen a bad, sustained freeze hit at just the wrong time and reduce the crop substantially.

The first four trees shown above are in a low spot and it could be somewhat of a frost pocket. Time will tell, but I think most years they will be okay. A dolgo crab set at the same time as the pears and nearby them fruited heavily last year.
Frost pocket was my initial thoughts Steve.. Those are some large trees. All my pears started when they were only one third that size. Most came from TWG in 2014.. All started putting on pears at 4 years old.

Frost pocket was my initial thoughts Steve.. Those are some large trees. All my pears started when they were only one third that size. Most came from TWG in 2014.. All started putting on pears at 4 years old.

Jordan, the Spring of 2014 was when my trees were planted as well. The trees on the ridge tops started fruiting similarly to what you described - at about 4 years old. The bottom of the valley is definitely going to be colder. Whether or not it will be enough to make a long term difference is what we don't know at this point. If I had to speculate, my guess is that occasionally it will make a difference but in most years it won't. It will be interesting for me to watch this and see what happens as time goes on. More to come later...……...