Four Pear trees after six year of growth

Things are looking promising:

x0ZH6uv.jpg

BWT6xrl.jpg

SrFp9XP.jpg

Something I still cant wrap my brain around is the fact that my pear trees get hit with frost and hard freezes during open flower stage almost every year and they still produce a crop that is so heavy that my trees are self destructing from breaking under the weight of hundreds of pears. Frost and temps in the lower 20s doesnt seem to effect my trees at all (zone 6).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
According to the the charts, pears can still have a 10% crop at 24 degrees during full bloom. Some varieties could possibly be more cold tolerant? The chart is just a generic guide.

Something I still cant wrap my brain around is the fact that my pear trees get hit with frost and hard freezes during open flower stage almost every year and they still produce a crop that is so heavy that my trees are self destructing from breaking under the weight of hundreds of pears. Frost and temps in the lower 20s doesnt seem to effect my trees at all (zone 6).

What variety of pear tree do you have that if frost resistant ?
These are trees from Ed Fort which is out of business but it looks like Hallman Farms carries them.
These 3 varieties have beared heavily, even after hard frost/freezes during prime flowering.
I have, Trophy, Doc's Special, and GioVan and they are all great trees. Trophy drop in Oct here. Docs are Nov, and GioVan are slightly later...zone 6 here.
One other Fort variety I have are Low Country. They are an earlier dropping pear but I've had bad luck with them.

These 3 varieties have beared heavily, even after hard frost/freezes during prime flowering.
I have, Trophy, Doc's Special, and GioVan and they are all great trees. Trophy drop in Oct here. Docs are Nov, and GioVan are slightly later...zone 6 here.
One other Fort variety I have are Low Country. They are an earlier dropping pear but I've had bad luck with them.

I have these same varieties and have had the same results as Tap. They have been good draws for deer. Kieffer does the same as them in frost situations it seems but is cheaper and more accessible than the Ed Fort varieties so I have focussed on them now.

I have these same varieties and have had the same results as Tap. They have been good draws for deer. Kieffer does the same as them in frost situations it seems but is cheaper and more accessible than the Ed Fort varieties so I have focussed on them now.
Hey Willy. Kieffers sound good. What zone are you in? I'm in zone 5. Some nights can get to -20 though. Hope kieffers will produce here.

Hey Willy. Kieffers sound good. What zone are you in? I'm in zone 5. Some nights can get to -20 though. Hope kieffers will produce here.

southern end of zone 5

Looks like a heavy fruit set on these pear trees this year. Starting to feel good about the weather chances - nothing below 35 degrees in the 10 day forecast:

JnbTtfL.jpg

bu22h4B.jpg

Arfr5hA.jpg

1SEo1Mu.jpg
I think you're sitting pretty this year! I pulled some flowers off 2nd leaf pear trees this past week in the North Central portion of the state. It won't be long before turkey season rolls in!