Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

I only moved this stand about 400 yards or so. Put it deeper into the woods where I got two trails crossing and decent shooting lanes. Gotta have a plot to move it through.....or good trails to do this. I did not strap anything down on these moves....but I go real slow and always ready to set it down if things get dicey. I think I have moved my blinds about a dozen times over the years.....as my property has evolved some. The hardest part is getting the ground anchors removed / installed. I found that if I hook a large chain hook on the anchors I can use the loader to pull 'em up. Slick.
I wanted to unscrew the legs from the stand and take it back to my main farm in two pieces. The guy who placed it but it in the middle of the field where you couldn’t get in and out without spooking everything in the area. Dumb spot

I wanted to unscrew the legs from the stand and take it back to my main farm in two pieces. The guy who placed it but it in the middle of the field where you couldn’t get in and out without spooking everything in the area. Dumb spot
Is it a Redneck blnd? Mine just has four bolts attaching the box to the steel frame. I did remove the box once to move a stand to a difficult location. That worked pretty good too......but this is much faster and easier. The blind and tower are pretty tall (17 feet) and require a path with few branches to get thru.....though the thin limbs will bend.

Switchgrass or miscanthus screen for access?

Switchgrass or miscanthus screen for access?
It would be a good strategy but the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. I don’t gun hunt and it would be a longshot for one to wonder into bow range. It’s a 9 acres field

Is it a Redneck blnd? Mine just has four bolts attaching the box to the steel frame. I did remove the box once to move a stand to a difficult location. That worked pretty good too......but this is much faster and easier. The blind and tower are pretty tall (17 feet) and require a path with few branches to get thru.....though the thin limbs will bend.
It is local Amish guy. Actually well made. I’d have to trailer it in pieces to my other place. But your idea about flipping the forks may be the ticket that allows me to reach high enough to lift it off the legs

It is local Amish guy. Actually well made. I’d have to trailer it in pieces to my other place. But your idea about flipping the forks may be the ticket that allows me to reach high enough to lift it off the legs
Flipped forks is how we assemble or move our rednecks. Have not had to disassemble one yet, but that would work too.
IMG_6855.jpeg

I only moved this stand about 400 yards or so. Put it deeper into the woods where I got two trails crossing and decent shooting lanes. Gotta have a plot to move it through.....or good trails to do this. I did not strap anything down on these moves....but I go real slow and always ready to set it down if things get dicey. I think I have moved my blinds about a dozen times over the years.....as my property has evolved some. The hardest part is getting the ground anchors removed / installed. I found that if I hook a large chain hook on the anchors I can use the loader to pull 'em up. Slick.
A guy by me uses those big concrete blocks as anchors. I think they are called bin blocksbin-block.jpg most places. He just sets them centered under the blind and attaches the cable to them. They come in several sizes. He has pretty big ones and I haven't seen any blown over after some of our storms. Thought it was an interesting idea.

Finished getting two stands located and secured to the ground.....and moved the base for another. It's a 4x4' Menards blind and needs some TLC before putting it back in the field. I need to add some weatherstripping and some caulk to the seams and windows / doors. Also I have some rubber roof material.....and decided to use some contact cement and attach it to the plywood floor. I'm doing this instead of carpet.....because the mice seem to get into my carpet in these blinds. Hopefully it works out. Trying to decide how to quiet the walls......and considering putting the rubber roof membrane on the walls too (contact cement).

After doing the blind work......I decided that I needed to open some trails .....which are in somewhat of a sanctuary at my place. It's been 5 years since I mowed those trails and it was pretty rugged with my tractor and flail mower....but I got 'er done. Damaged some of my lights due to the heavy branches and cover.......but that is the price of poker. Hiring a mulcher isn't free either.....so I got by with reasonable damage expenses. Glad that job is done. Impossible to get good pics of this chore.....but I did take a few thru the windshield and the rear window. Kinda a before and after in a "reasonable area". About 7 years ago this was all mature Red Pine.....and this is representative of the regenerative trees from logging those pines. Also a ton of Burr Oaks that are really growing well in places. Some great habitat for deer, turkeys and grouse. Neat little swamp pockets scattered throughout too. Fun day....as I do not often see these areas....and they are full of deer beds and great cover. My flail mower will mow right thru those trees shown....up to 3 or 4" diameter. But I don't do too much of that.

tempImagedbPUuj.jpg
tempImagehVKYof.jpg

Keeping trails open like that is a never ending battle. Count your blessings it's not all tag alder. I've got places where that stuff reaches 25' sideways 2' off the ground to get into the openings. When I fight that by hand, I learned to cut the segment at the edge of the trail and throw that off, and then go deeper and cut the rest off at the stump. Then It'll be a couple years to make 25' back to the trail where I've got to do it again.

Through rage I discovered a compact track loader and a bucket make a great 'push it back and smash it' implement. You lose some lights and windshield wipers doing work like that, but it's gotta be done. I've spent days sawing down and throwing tag alder segments back into the woods.

Keeping trails open like that is a never ending battle. Count your blessings it's not all tag alder. I've got places where that stuff reaches 25' sideways 2' off the ground to get into the openings. When I fight that by hand, I learned to cut the segment at the edge of the trail and throw that off, and then go deeper and cut the rest off at the stump. Then It'll be a couple years to make 25' back to the trail where I've got to do it again.

Through rage I discovered a compact track loader and a bucket make a great 'push it back and smash it' implement. You lose some lights and windshield wipers doing work like that, but it's gotta be done. I've spent days sawing down and throwing tag alder segments back into the woods.
I abandoned part of my deer sidewalk through the tag alders. They seem to find their own way.

Wish you were closer, I have one of these but never used it. Would be perfect for clearing those lanes
View attachment 66580
Is that a lane shark? I’ve thought about one of those for trail maintenance, but was not sure how well they worked, or how well my 4066R would handle it. If it worked well, it would be much better than walking the trails with a pole saw! Why do you never use it?

Finished getting two stands located and secured to the ground.....and moved the base for another. It's a 4x4' Menards blind and needs some TLC before putting it back in the field. I need to add some weatherstripping and some caulk to the seams and windows / doors. Also I have some rubber roof material.....and decided to use some contact cement and attach it to the plywood floor. I'm doing this instead of carpet.....because the mice seem to get into my carpet in these blinds. Hopefully it works out. Trying to decide how to quiet the walls......and considering putting the rubber roof membrane on the walls too (contact cement).

After doing the blind work......I decided that I needed to open some trails .....which are in somewhat of a sanctuary at my place. It's been 5 years since I mowed those trails and it was pretty rugged with my tractor and flail mower....but I got 'er done. Damaged some of my lights due to the heavy branches and cover.......but that is the price of poker. Hiring a mulcher isn't free either.....so I got by with reasonable damage expenses. Glad that job is done. Impossible to get good pics of this chore.....but I did take a few thru the windshield and the rear window. Kinda a before and after in a "reasonable area". About 7 years ago this was all mature Red Pine.....and this is representative of the regenerative trees from logging those pines. Also a ton of Burr Oaks that are really growing well in places. Some great habitat for deer, turkeys and grouse. Neat little swamp pockets scattered throughout too. Fun day....as I do not often see these areas....and they are full of deer beds and great cover. My flail mower will mow right thru those trees shown....up to 3 or 4" diameter. But I don't do too much of that.

If you are referring to the plastic panel style blinds that you bolt together, I used spray foam to help quiet them. I did not spray the walls, but rather sprayed in the seams between the wall panels and roof panels. Also sprayed around the wing nuts. This helped a lot with the squeaking and bug control.

Is that a lane shark? I’ve thought about one of those for trail maintenance, but was not sure how well they worked, or how well my 4066R would handle it. If it worked well, it would be much better than walking the trails with a pole saw! Why do you never use it?
It is. It came with my farm but honestly my roads don’t really need it. They aren’t very tight so I can usually just mow them. But I can’t bring myself to part with it cause my tractor is plumbed for it so I assume I’ll use it one day

Last edited:
Wish you were closer, I have one of these but never used it. Would be perfect for clearing those lanes
View attachment 66580
Seems like they are selling quite a few lane sharks these days. I wish you were closer too......I'd like to try one.....tho they do require a pretty high hydraulic flow. I have a equipment rental dealer just a few miles from Deertopia. I wonder if he has any forestry munchers on a skid steer? May have to check.