Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

Your organization and attention to detail is impressive. And the anti-foggy. My shops are hodgepodge of stuff leaning against the sides and my idea of calibrating a sprayer is when you run out that’s how much it uses. I could learn much from you!
I always feel pretty good about the machinery and tractor end of the biz......but I really suck at agronomy, chemistry, and such. I'm a slow learner. Sometime need to learn the same lesson 3 or 4 times before it sticks.

Hey dog. Just don't be well maybe you need to be that guy. Foggy lolll

Your organization and attention to detail is impressive. Im the anti-foggy. My shops are hodgepodge of stuff leaning against the sides and my idea of calibrating a sprayer is when you run out that’s how much it uses. I could learn much from you!

Much like my "glug glug" method of mixing gly

bill

Yesterday I hooked up my Goliath 6 and filled the drum with water. Roll Crimped my rye....about 6 acres......and left a couple of acres stand, as I think I will let a few areas reseed themselves for next year.

I am unhappy with the way the Goliath pins work on my crimper. I have not figured a way to install those cat 1 / Cat 2 pins so that the Hairpins that hold those pins in place will not be in the way of the drag links. I think this is a very poor design by Goliath. I lost a Hairpin yesterday (again) and I am lucky the pins did not slide out and screw up my roller or my tractor lift arms.

Pics show the problem. Anyone have a solution for this piss poor design? I gotta do something......as it's a matter of time before a hairpin will work out again and at some point my luck will run out. I HATE having to redesign a bad feature on these implements. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Also the way I not am forced to operate the machine.....the pins are not supported on one side of the brackets.......as the cat 2 hole size is too large to support the cat 1 pin dimension. Dumb!
tempImage95WeuM.jpgtempImageX03jsB.jpg

Looks really good! You should be in the chips for a while now with that blanket down and all the rain you got, yeah? It'd be neat to see that again in a couple weeks and see how fast the clover overtakes that straw laid flat.

Looks really good! You should be in the chips for a while now with that blanket down and all the rain you got, yeah? It'd be neat to see that again in a couple weeks and see how fast the clover overtakes that straw laid flat.
Next step for me is to terminate some weeds and clover areas.......and follow with my drill to make some brassica plots for hunting season. I will also drill some clover in my mix at that time for next spring. I plan to do about 2 acres this way.

Then I am done until late August.....when will plant rye and clover mix everywhere. It's gotten pretty simple to manage my place.

SD how fast will that clover overtake the straw carbon dead rye? Will seed broadcasted either buckwheat or cc6 summer blend under that straw be able to germinate and come up through the straw carbon dead rye? Will the clover and cc6 and summer blend work together to get new growth together? Sorry for the questions.

Attachments

• 20240705_085227.jpg
    20240705_085227.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 8
SD how fast will that clover overtake the straw carbon dead rye? Will seed broadcasted either buckwheat or cc6 summer blend under that straw be able to germinate and come up through the straw carbon dead rye? Will the clover and cc6 and summer blend work together to get new growth together? Sorry for the questions.
It depends how thick your straw is, how long you've stayed green, how much moisture you have, and what your clover is, in terms of growing through your duff and canopying over it. If it's all good and white clover, I'd say 2-3 weeks and you won't be able to see straw.

Far as the other stuff punching through, I'm not sure. Depends how thick the straw is. On one hand, thick is good for trapping moisture and getting those seeds to germinate. On the other, thick is bad because some seeds can run out of energy before they can punch through. This is a big reason for the flail mower. You can have heavy duff and stuff can punch through it. I've seen brassica crops punch right through heavy chopped rye residue, and many of us have seen them not make it through rolled residue.

Today I applied some herbicides to several areas where the weeds were problematic.....and then drilled some brassica into that rye straw. Took a few pics of the clover and weeds under that rye straw. I think I chose decent herbicide treatments.....but do worry about the plant back time on a few spots that I applied IMOX. Hope to plant those areas in late August with more rye and clover for next year.

tempImagebDZZLD.jpgtempImageoJRnIE.jpg

tempImageN41FcU.jpgtempImageaMgjgm.jpg
The last pic above is of the trees that have grown since logging my place about 6 years ago. I have some Jack Pine and some Red Pine some birch as well as some various bushes and shrubs. The tallest pines are now about 12 to 15 feet high.....and the bedding cover seems nearly ideal now. Nice and thick cover with the natural regeneration. I have not bought a tree in ten years.

Also posted some pics of the straw Matt and drilling brassica into the crimped rye....they are in the GP/ LP 3P500 / 600 drill thread

Thats awesome foggy. Really like the bedding area you created.

That looks like a bunker buster of natural browse!

That looks like a bunker buster of natural browse!
yep....this is one barn burner of a growth year for the trees and understory. Lots of acorns again this year....and the hazel is lousy with nuts. Got lots of wild plumbs and raspberries. Deer are thriving too.

yep....this is one barn burner of a growth year for the trees and understory. Lots of acorns again this year....and the hazel is lousy with nuts. Got lots of wild plumbs and raspberries. Deer are thriving too.
That also sounds like lots of bear feed. Are many showing up?

That also sounds like lots of bear feed. Are many showing up?
Had a few on camera earlier in June. None lately.

Had a few on camera earlier in June. None lately.
Since I'm overly hydrated at my place, I quit watching the weather. Have you gotten a rain on your rye since you crimped it?

Since I'm overly hydrated at my place, I quit watching the weather. Have you gotten a rain on your rye since you crimped it?
Just a tenth of an inch since crimping it. The soil still is moist tho.....just an inch or so deep. The straw Matt is doing it's thing to hold moisture.

Did a little trail mowing, and moved 3 blinds today. Still gotta put a few finishing touches on one. Inverted my forks to lift the higher blinds.....and figured someone else might use this trick to gain some elevation with your forks. Pic below shows one fork inverted and the other as normal. Sure wish I had bought 48" forks when I bought this set up.....but I get along with it.

tempImagemK2Sbr.jpg
tempImage8LMPnl.jpgtempImagedO7dyu.jpg

I may need to try that trick to move a stand on a piece I bought. I was wondering how the heck I could move it

I may need to try that trick to move a stand on a piece I bought. I was wondering how the heck I could move it
I only moved this stand about 400 yards or so. Put it deeper into the woods where I got two trails crossing and decent shooting lanes. Gotta have a plot to move it through.....or good trails to do this. I did not strap anything down on these moves....but I go real slow and always ready to set it down if things get dicey. I think I have moved my blinds about a dozen times over the years.....as my property has evolved some. The hardest part is getting the ground anchors removed / installed. I found that if I hook a large chain hook on the anchors I can use the loader to pull 'em up. Slick.