Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

My screen is under that circle you drew in the above pics. The problem is.....you cannot disassemble this joint as the coupling is molded into the fitting and will not swivel. So you need to disassemble the one on the tank before you can remove the screen at the coupling. Stupid design. One that requires either removing the hose clamps and the hose (which most often means you need to cut the hose) or take off the swivel coupling on the tank. Removing that swivel coupling means you are gonna drain the tank....in order to service the screen (filter). Damn dumb $%^&*()(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%POS design if you ask me.

Today I tried to buy a joint that could replace the subject fitting(s). Was nothing at Tractor Supply that would work. I spent another $13 in order to try a Y joint that would allow me to drain the tank....but it would not fit without lots more expense. ENOUGH time wasted on this no-good POS sprayer. I find it about as useless as the Pequot Lakes Chapter of QDMA. (huge grin)

My screen is under that circle you drew in the above pics. The problem is.....you cannot disassemble this joint as the coupling is molded into the fitting and will not swivel. So you need to disassemble the one on the tank before you can remove the screen at the coupling. Stupid design. One that requires either removing the hose clamps and the hose (which most often means you need to cut the hose) or take off the swivel coupling on the tank. Removing that swivel coupling means you are gonna drain the tank....in order to service the screen (filter). Damn dumb $%^&*()(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%POS design if you ask me.

Today I tried to buy a joint that could replace the subject fitting(s). Was nothing at Tractor Supply that would work. I spent another $13 in order to try a Y joint that would allow me to drain the tank....but it would not fit without lots more expense. ENOUGH time wasted on this no-good POS sprayer. I find it about as useless as the Pequot Lakes Chapter of QDMA. (huge grin)
I gave my fimco away, a few years back.

When looking into 3 point sprayers for the tractor, I called Ag Spray headquarters and, I kid you not... they answered the phone "Fimco, how may I direct your call?"

I’ll drop a pin to this one and you can come get it View attachment 65076

One of the other issues on my Fimco is that the take off hose for the wand prayer has no shut off valve. I don't want the wand and sprayer, just more weight and crap to deal with. I had to stick a .308 cal bullet casing up into the hose and clamp it off to shut the flow off when using the sprayer.

What ever happened to brass fittings and metal threads?? Our camp is looking at sprayers ................. glad I saw this thread.

What ever happened to brass fittings and metal threads?? Our camp is looking at sprayers ................. glad I saw this thread.

When people demand cheaper prices, this is what you get.

Fimco is the Chevy Vega of sprayers ...

When people demand cheaper prices, this is what you get.

Fimco is the Chevy Vega of sprayers ...
I was in the manufacturing biz for many years. I recognize how important having a low-cost product can be. At the end of the day.....your in biz to make some money.....and I fully appreciate that. However sometimes the lower priced components also can cost you allot in the way of lower sales and higher returns and warranty replacements.

What I found in making my wares was that I needed to allow about 50% margin for the retailer. If I sold wholesalers.....deduct another 20% for those guys. Then you need to pay your sales force and trade show expenses which can cost another 10 to 15%. Now there is advertising which was about 10% of my budget. Then you often need to discount for pre-season orders, show orders, and quantity discounts another 10 to 20%. Then you need to repair or replace any defective products and / or accept returns by your dealers and the consumer, and you need to properly package the product, have a website, print catalogs and owners manuals (which can be a cost all over the map). Not to mention the cost of assembly and running a plant with employees....etc. Now you do the math here and you can see you need to have low cost products that still represent fair prices to the consumer. THAT is the difficult part in making a good product.

The issue to me is .....that the lower cost of cheap materials and components does not pay in most cases. I used to perform destructive tests on my plastics, and metal parts.....and I found that to save a few pennies on cheaper plastics or metals was often disastrous to the product quality and would almost always chose the better quality than the lesser. I used the adage: "I'd rather apologize for the price than for the quality".

Not so with the folks that bought my company. The first thing they did was to buy cheap plastic components to replace the outstanding qualities of some of the tough plastic compounds we had chosen for the product. Yes, they did cost a bit more (much more in a few examples). But....the few pennies they were able to save virtually ruined the product lines in short order....and they had to withdraw some products from the marketplace due to returns and loss of purchases by the dealer organization until they got a decent product manager. I doubt they "saved" more than 25 cents / item by choosing those lower cost components - which may have resulted in a $2 higher price at the consumer level without affecting profit margins. Dumb!

I think this is the case with FLIMCO too.......the "bean counters" are likely calling the shots and evidently will win-out over the engineering and design folks......or something along those lines. IN my opinion......a company this size should know better. Having said that.....we likely do not understand all the nuances of being in the sprayer biz. We just know a POS when we own one.

Name brand products most often do not skimp on quality. MY 2 cents.

@Foggy47 You see any sweet clover yet?

Not that I know. Still looking / watching / waiting.

I found some sweet clover alongside some alfalfa in my yard plot. Two distinct differences. The sweet clover is way bigger and a lighter green vs alfalfa. YSC on the left.

55aa5ca93d04ae0fc8ee094a098365ea.jpg

The stems on the YSC are huge and stretching out now.

78e48038465a16e8751ddac077c5bdfd.jpg

And getting browsed quite a bit which I thought was interesting.

f101c4b288452650e15673a9595a52d5.jpg

Tall.

ec93f84ccbc852248aded7dead382269.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that last pic.....it appears the YSC has more of a sawtooth leaf edge than in the other pics. Some variations?

In that last pic.....it appears the YSC has more of a sawtooth leaf edge than in the other pics. Some variations?

That would be my guess. Nothing else would be that tall and with that big of a stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rye at my place is getting pretty tall and thick. I suppose 4 to 5 feet in many areas. Still not a viable seed head. Likely a few weeks out. There is a deer in there. Good fawning cover.
Image 6-9-24 at 10.38 PM.JPG

When squeezing rye seeds in SE MN this weekend they secreted fluids, it is getting close down here.

In central Minnesota, my rye was just starting to push pollen in the drier areas on south facing slopes.