Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

It looks like the rye disappears when it hits that clover. You've got a perfect base established for next year now. It's going to be very interesting to watch that next season. I think you're going to be pleased how that holds up.

In that pic with the gopher mounds, did you have any green in there when you planted, or was that sprayed first? It almost looks like you've got YSC coming up there in a big way, but I'm not certain how fast it comes in the establishment year.
That plot was nuked D E A D last summer....then planted with my normal mix of 2 Bu W Rye, clovers, and some brassica. When I flail mowed the rye this summer it was full of Marestail and I got a good kill on the marestail by flail mowing before it went to seed. I thought this plot was a total loss at the time....but just a week or two later things were changing and greening up quickly. The mowed rye re-seeded as shown in the pics. And the clover and brassica has come back like gangbusters. Really remarkable change. If I can keep roots in the ground here next summer.....this would be a huge win over this sand pile.

I did drill the yellow clover in this plot in early August.....after seeing the potential said above. Also drilled some red clover and a bit of ladino too......as I was doing other plots at the same time. I decided to go for it. I am not sure how to recognize the yellow sweet clover yet. Gonna have to look for some clover with jagged edge leaves.

That plot was nuked D E A D last summer....then planted with my normal mix of 2 Bu W Rye, clovers, and some brassica. When I flail mowed the rye this summer it was full of Marestail and I got a good kill on the marestail by flail mowing before it went to seed. I thought this plot was a total loss at the time....but just a week or two later things were changing and greening up quickly. The mowed rye re-seeded as shown in the pics. And the clover and brassica has come back like gangbusters. Really remarkable change. If I can keep roots in the ground here next summer.....this would be a huge win over this sand pile.

I did drill the yellow clover in this plot in early August.....after seeing the potential said above. Also drilled some red clover and a bit of ladino too......as I was doing other plots at the same time. I decided to go for it. I am not sure how to recognize the yellow sweet clover yet. Gonna have to look for some clover with jagged edge leaves.
I think this is all YSC in the yellow circle in the bottom of your photo. I was pretty sure mine grew a foot in the planting year, but I could never find a good writeup indicating such a thing was possible. I just found one. The deer wiped it out in the planting year on my place. Never got stemmy in the establishment year. That leaf arrangement is a dead giveaway for YSC. Even if the deer graze it to the dirt, it'll come back next year.

Take no management advice from this article. Let it come next year, and don't roll it until most of the yellow flowers have fallen and it looks dead and brown. Should be around August 1st.

1724726485856.png

Foggy.jpg

I think that's a huge benefit of YSC vs perennial clovers. You don't need to wait until next year to get some tonnage out of it, and it self terminates the second year. That combo'd with rye, I don't think you'll ever see sand again. It could be a real bear to drill into, so you may want to put the herd on the bucket and broadcast into that instead before rolling. Then again, I'd also want to try drilling into it to see what happens.

I think that's a huge benefit of YSC vs perennial clovers. You don't need to wait until next year to get some tonnage out of it, and it self terminates the second year. That combo'd with rye, I don't think you'll ever see sand again. It could be a real bear to drill into, so you may want to put the herd on the bucket and broadcast into that instead before rolling. Then again, I'd also want to try drilling into it to see what happens.
GREAT INFO here SD. I think you are correct in the identification from the pic above. Now I know more....I will have a closer look tomorrow when I get to my land. Got some blind work to do....and gonna hang a few licking ropes. etc. The fun stuff.

I put a camera on this plot....and have had lots of deer using this plot....which was somewhat of a surprise to me. May even put a ground blind just off this plot this fall. Seems to be a good spot....it's just been horrible sand and weeds every year. This could be a huge win if this plot pulls through. It's only about 1/3 acre....but in a good location with cover all around and a good travel route. Paid some dues to get this sand plot to this point. Challenging....and Fun! Is this one "outside the ears"? grin.

4D8A6956-780E-4F76-834C-4BF382B1BAFE.jpeg

OK...truth be told......this pic comes from a different location. I put it here just for fun. But I have seen this buck within 100 feet of this plot. So....there is that.

Last edited:
I blew on more YSC and white sweet clover this past month. My south plot is still in it's establishment phase in some spots, so I've got very little residue cover. I threw the kitchen sink at it to try to get something going. I get one more weekend to look at it before I lock down before bow hunting. I've been seeing lots of japanese millet coming up long after I forgot about planting it. I think a lot of it sits a year and then germinates.

Ya know......with the drill....and small seeds like clover or brassica......even if the drill merely scratches a path, of any kind, to disturb a little dirt and drops the seeds onto that path.....the press wheels push it into contact with the soil.......and just like that....the birth of new plants can (will) happen. .......IF YOU GET SOME RAINFALL. That rain makes hero's of us all.

Ya know......with the drill....and small seeds......even if the drill merely scratches a path of any kind to disturb a little dirt and drops the seeds into that path.....the press wheels push it into contact with the soil.......and just like that....the birth of new plants can (will) happen. .......IF YOU GET SOME RAINFALL. That rain makes hero's of us all.

Once you get that rye and sweet clover carpet laid down next season, and you get heavy dews, I think it’s money in the bank no matter what happens. Under all that it’s gonna be cool and humid.

The sweet clover doesn’t compress as well as rye when rolled, and I was worried the next seeds would have a hard time reaching sun before they ran out of energy, but it didn’t stop the oats, and the rest took it well too. I was really glad to see the alfalfa growing new stuff after just rolling. I was worried that would peter out if it wasn’t cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREAT INFO here SD. I think you are correct in the identification from the pic above. Now I know more....I will have a closer look tomorrow when I get to my land. Got some blind work to do....and gonna hang a few licking ropes. etc. The fun stuff.

I put a camera on this plot....and have had lots of deer using this plot....which was somewhat of a surprise to me. May even put a ground blind just off this plot this fall. Seems to be a good spot....it's just been horrible sand and weeds every year. This could be a huge win if this plot pulls through. It's only about 1/3 acre....but in a good location with cover all around and a good travel route. Paid some dues to get this sand plot to this point. Challenging....and Fun! Is this one "outside the ears"? grin.

View attachment 67724

OK...truth be told......this pic comes from a different location. I put it here just for fun. But I have seen this buck within 100 feet of this plot. So....there is that.
That's a nice buck Foggy, love to see you put him on the ground to see if he is, in fact, outside the ears!

Fun thread, really looking good!

Man, getting something growing on sand is such a benefit and thats ground you didn’t have before. Couple miles from my house a local farmer has been working hard on a sand patch with rye and beans. It shows improvement and I think thats pretty cool. I think he could learn some stuff from food plotters though! (Kidding a little, lol!)

Fun thread, really looking good!

Man, getting something growing on sand is such a benefit and thats ground you didn’t have before. Couple miles from my house a local farmer has been working hard on a sand patch with rye and beans. It shows improvement and I think thats pretty cool. I think he could learn some stuff from food plotters though! (Kidding a little, lol!)
Well.....I have been working on the plot we are discussing for nearly ten years. I could get things to grow on it for a season or so.....then dry up and start over. I'd always start with the disk and pack new seeds each time......always destroying the roots from the previous attempt(s). Seems obvious now to keep something growing at all times.....but not obvious when you'r tillage oriented. Now....tillage is a last resort.

Last edited:
Foggy ... have you combined the yellow clover with winter rye?

Curious if the YC will grow in the spring with fall planted WR.

Foggy ... have you combined the yellow clover with winter rye?

Curious if the YC will grow in the spring with fall planted WR.
Yep There is rye and yellow sweet clover together in that plot.....among other things

Have you not been following the hottest habitat thread on the internet?

View attachment 67741

View attachment 67742

View attachment 67743

LOL! Hard to keep up with all mad scientist stuff SD. It's all good stuff to learn. That field looks great!

I have a 3 area section in one of my fields that is sandy and have had a bear of a time to get items to grow. making it very hard to get OM in this soil. Gonna try the yellow clover approach along with WR and maybe a ladino clover.

Checked the plot for yellow sweet clover today. Yep.....I got some growing everywhere.....or at least that is what I think this is. Also have rye grain, medium red clover, ladino, chicory, radish, and I threw some crimson clover in the mix to use it up. (It doesn't over winter for me.) I may have a bit of brassica in the mix too. Living large! lol

tempImageSDHcBJ.jpgtempImage5QLqxS.jpg

Hung several 1" hemp ropes today.....and dipped the ends in some pre-orbital gland scent I had bought. I got six ropes hung....and may do one more. Cameras on most of them. I guess I took this pic before raking and peeing in the "scrape". Ran out of pee.....so will finish another day. Most are about belt high. tempImageC4OcQm.jpg

LOL! Hard to keep up with all mad scientist stuff SD. It's all good stuff to learn. That field looks great!

I have a 3 area section in one of my fields that is sandy and have had a bear of a time to get items to grow. making it very hard to get OM in this soil. Gonna try the yellow clover approach along with WR and maybe a ladino clover.
Don't forget the chicory.

Checked the plot for yellow sweet clover today. Yep.....I got some growing everywhere.....or at least that is what I think this is. Also have rye grain, medium red clover, ladino, chicory, radish, and I threw some crimson clover in the mix to use it up. (It doesn't over winter for me.) I may have a bit of brassica in the mix too. Living large! lol

View attachment 67745View attachment 67746
Kind of looks like mock strawberry

Picture This tells me that that’s rough cinquefoil Foggy