Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

Picture This tells me that that’s rough cinquefoil Foggy
Yeah......I think that is something other than sweet clover too.

Hung several 1" hemp ropes today.....and dipped the ends in some pre-orbital gland scent I had bought. I got six ropes hung....and may do one more. Cameras on most of them. I guess I took this pic before raking and peeing in the "scrape". Ran out of pee.....so will finish another day. Most are about belt high. View attachment 67747
Drink more beer

thanks

bill

Documenting a few results of my planting efforts this year.....using my drill, and via flail mowing some rye, and use of Glyphosate, and Imox....and planting into my clover. All has been done between Mid July and Late August. More comments under the photos.

tempImagecK9ve0.jpg
This year I drilled my clover plots with some PTT, GHR, DER, and NWW Sorghum in an effort to provide a choice of foods.....and to hopefully gain some vertical cover for daytime security and use by the deer. Also drilled rye into these plots in late August. Been a bit dry for the last week now.....and a decent rainfall would get a growth spurt......but looking dry in the ten day. The rye mat is doing it's job to conserve moisture and keep weeds at bay. The new rye is taking hold and seems to have germinated everywhere as in the past.

tempImageFqOR8w.jpg
Rows of rye are more evident In some areas than others......but it's all developing for a decent fall rye insurance plan.....and emergency food and then cover in the spring. I'm quite satisfied with the chicory development and that of the brassicas in some areas.

tempImagemb4SRK.jpg
I planted this NWW Sorghum variety as it's quite dense and said to hold up into December and possibly later. This divides a clover plot on the left with a brassica plot on the right.....and provides a screen in which to enter two of my stands which are located in tough to access areas in the middle of a 40. I think the screen is going to help allot with crossing through this area. Also could supply a blind......by just using a folding chair to sit in the Sorghum strip(s).

tempImageHwXkRt.jpg
The brassica has developed quite nicely and bulbs are beginning to form. The rye mulch is doing it's thing to conserve moisture and keep the weeds away. Beautiful.

tempImagewrLWEe.jpg
I saw a small purple turnip was pulled by the deer and I pulled a radish to show the small bulbs at this time. Rain is needed. I suppose the radish is 5" long.

tempImageEU6KLw.jpg
I'm unsure how well the NWW Sorghum will grow in these plots. I suppose I have a 15" high sorghum plant about every ten feet or so......but I am unsure how these will compete with the clover. Also interesting to see how the brassica develops this year. My drill worked to get them to germinate.....time will tell if this is a plan for next year. Yep.....some weeds too.

Last edited:
I think you hit a home run all around there. That stuff looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you hit a home run all around there. That stuff looks great!

Try as I did.....I could not find any signs of Yellow Sweet Clover. Will keep looking.....but ???

Try as I did.....I could not find any signs of Yellow Sweet Clover. Will keep looking.....but ???

It’s there. If u got some to germinate, there will be more. Those brassicas punching thru the rolled rye look really good.

Documenting a few results of my planting efforts this year.....using my drill, and via flail mowing some rye, and use of Glyphosate, and Imox....and planting into my clover. All has been done between Mid July and Late August. More comments under the photos.

View attachment 67969
This year I drilled my clover plots with some PTT, GHR, DER, and NWW Sorghum in an effort to provide a choice of foods.....and to hopefully gain some vertical cover for daytime security and use by the deer. Also drilled rye into these plots in late August. Been a bit dry for the last week now.....and a decent rainfall would get a growth spurt......but looking dry in the ten day. The rye mat is doing it's job to conserve moisture and keep weeds at bay. The new rye is taking hold and seems to have germinated everywhere as in the past.

View attachment 67971
Rows of rye are more evident In some areas than others......but it's all developing for a decent fall rye insurance plan.....and emergency food and then cover in the spring. I'm quite satisfied with the chicory development and that of the brassicas in some areas.

View attachment 67972
I planted this NWW Sorghum variety as it's quite dense and said to hold up into December and possibly later. This divides a clover plot on the left with a brassica plot on the right.....and provides a screen in which to enter two of my stands which are located in tough to access areas in the middle of a 40. I think the screen is going to help allot with crossing through this area. Also could supply a blind......by just using a folding chair to sit in the Sorghum strip(s).

View attachment 67973
The brassica has developed quite nicely and bulbs are beginning to form. The rye mulch is doing it's thing to conserve moisture and keep the weeds away. Beautiful.

View attachment 67974
I saw a small purple turnip was pulled by the deer and I pulled a radish to show the small bulbs at this time. Rain is needed. I suppose the radish is 5" long.

View attachment 67975
I'm unsure how well the NWW Sorghum will grow in these plots. I suppose I have a 15" high sorghum plant about every ten feet or so......but I am unsure how these will compete with the clover. Also interesting to see how the brassica develops this year. My drill worked to get them to germinate.....time will tell if this is a plan for next year. Yep.....some weeds too.

Foggy, looks good. I have the same issue with the sorghum. I planted mine in June and is only 2'-4'. To get the height you want, really need to give it a good dose of UREA.

I have been waiting 3 weeks for some rain to put UREA on mine, hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
Foggy, looks good. I have the same issue with the sorghum. I planted mine in June and is only 2'-4'. To get the height you want, really need to give it a good dose of UREA.

I have been waiting 3 weeks for some rain to put UREA on mine, hopefully this weekend.
I didn’t think there was any chance of rain this weekend. Got a little bit today. Did you get some urea on before todays rain?

I didn’t think there was any chance of rain this weekend. Got a little bit today. Did you get some urea on before todays rain?
I've got good growth of the Sorghum where it's planted by itself.....and I have put some fertilizer on it to get it to grow. Some of that stuff is now 8 feet high and thriving. What I WANT is to get some individual sorghum plants to get to five feet high in my clover plots. I mixed a bit into the brassica I drilled into my clover in July. It's growing.....but only 1 to 2 feet high at present. I am hoping it will grow to 4 or 5 feet high to get the desired vertical cover.......so the deer may enter the clover / brassica in daylight hours.

Edit: I suppose I could sprinkle some urea around the area of these existing sorghum plants? Kinda a putsy way to do things? .

Lookin good @Foggy47. No fertilizer anywhere?
Edit: I suppose I could sprinkle some urea around the area of these existing sorghum plants? Kinda a putsy way to do things? .

That seems like an excessive amount of effort for questionable benefit. I'd probably just broadcast it over everything before throwing a handful on individual plants.

Survey'd my brassica situation today. The areas where I nuked the clover with 2 Q. Gly/ acre and planted with a brassica mix have grown very nicely. Where I used Imox and drilled two weeks later with a mix of brassica .....it's got some spotty success.....but nothing to write home about. Here is a few pics of some success.
tempImageTPldIr.jpg
tempImagef0VK4q.jpg
tempImagelHWWma.jpg
tempImagey3IeII.jpg
tempImageh25mc1.jpg
Even the rye straw area is relatively weed free. The winter rye is now coming in in most areas. No rain for a week now....yet the ground moisture is decent. Small brassica plants have punched through some of the open areas like shown above.

I have a couple of plots where the clover is strong now.....but I did not get a good take on any brassica.....which I again tried to drill into the clover a few weeks after a treatment with Imox. I got my tractor back today......after it's been hung up at the dealer waiting on a part. So I decided (even tho it's late) that I would nuke (2 qt. glyphosate) some strips in my clover and drill a brassica mix into the strips. Perhaps 1/2 acre total. Did this in three areas where we hunt......and completed this mission in about two hours complete.
tempImagev4yMgW.jpg
tempImage00hPJj.jpg
It'll be interesting to see what I get for my somewhat late efforts. No rain in the forecast. Bumber.....but waiting will do little good.

Two months ago.....I was ready to give up on these plots....and start over. Amazing changes.

So I decided (even tho it's late) that I would nuke (2 qt. glyphosate) some strips in my clover.

giphy.gif

Have you not read Judges chapters 20 and 21?

giphy.gif

What is your issue with Gly? If I dont use Gly on the clover there is little growing the brassica. Quite sure the clover will rebound later.

What is your issue with Gly? If I dont use Gly on the clover there is little growing the brassica. Quite sure the clover will rebound later.

giphy.gif

Gly is the Trojan horse of the inputs industry.

Have you ever planted brassicas this late? It will be an interesting experiment, but I don't know if it will have time to amount to much.

Planting brassicas in northern MN after Labor Day?

Think I'd go with oats if you're looking for some chow yet this fall

Have you ever planted brassicas this late? It will be an interesting experiment, but I don't know if it will have time to amount to much.
Yeah.....wondering the same thing. I only planted about 1/3 acre total in three different areas.....and have plenty of clover and rye / oats in the immediate area too. Also a bit of brassica is in my clover plots....and sometimes that comes in pretty good as the season progresses. The clover is typically done when November rolls around.....but I have seen a few years where it's been mild enough to hang in there.

I've seen pretty fair brassica after a period of 45 days growing.....so there is a possibility it provides some leafy chow......likely not much for bulbs tho.